Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #1

Bike build update , re-visited

Well, I started this BEAST today , and I mean BEAST . That is some tight compression on the current race Loncin motors man .
Pictures are tonight for sure !!!!!
Few kicks to get the oil and gas warm and it was off to the races, litterally . It was snowing here this morning so everything was very cold out in the garage including my oil on the shelf . Still fabricating spacers to fit the wheels to the suspension, but other than that, its alive man !
It feels sooooooooooooo good to know it got put together right and it runs right, and it runs strong too . Great feeling to do a build like this when it comes out right and runs like a raped ape too boot . No warranty per say on race motors and that is allot like a crap shoot to me, an expensive one . But, it runs strong, runs smooth and has ample power with the nice Mikuni 24mm carburetor and Mikuni 24mm intake manifold installed on the motor .
Got in the new Tires yesterday, intalled them onto the rims today , what a major ordeal it is to put tires on little rims ? Thats a new one to me and a major pain in my butt . Plus I scratched both rims , ouch, oh well, it's a dirt bike right :( . Casualties of war is what I like to call that
( scratches ), with my stupidity throwing out the friendly fire that caused it of course . I even used leather under all my tire irons per my normal carefullness, but they still slipped twice, two sctratches , ouch . I even have four irons ! Oh well.
I went with Dunlops D-756's for tires, nice freekin tires, nice profile, deep knobbies , profile is low and fat ! I figured if I am spending a couple grand plus building this beast, I am buying the best tires money can buy for what I want to do with the bike on my track that is . Yes you could spend double that on better Dunlops, but I don't race , nor do I want to replace tires on these little rims more than once a year . That is a nightmare without a real tire-changer machine. I am buying one this year for sure ! All I wanted was an aggressive tire that would blow mudd chunks into DirtyGirls88's face anyway, so I accomplished that I am sure with these Dunlops . Now what kind of Husband would I make if I wasn't able to splatter my girls helmet and goggles anwyay ?
As you will see from my photos tonight, I spared no cost whatsoever on this build, billet alluminum everywhere , race componants everywhere too . This thing is exactly what I wanted and saw in my vision prior to starting this project . Unfortuntely there wasn't a single person or company that could supply all the componants in one store , so shipping was very spendy . If you do it this way, allow for a few hundred extra dollars for shipping on top of your componant prices . I did buy many items off E-Bay, none used, all new though . The tires are from Oregon, and all nuts and bolts are local machine supply shop stuff , semi-hardened . A few parts are from a local motorcycle shop that isn't brand particular too . The only upgrade I amy do in the future, but i doubt it unless I brake them is the lever perches ? I don't forsee me breaking them though, I have never broke one , ever in my life ? I have broke many levers, but no perches . Probably because the pain of wrecking always kept me somewhat rational in my riding style . Independants always take care of thier stuff better than factory riders, thats fact .

I guess if it wasn't for Warrior91's and ChigongJitsus inspiration and input and comments on the pit-bike subject when I was looking for where to spend tax money , this whole build would have never happpened ? So, a big fat thank you are in order for you two . Thanks ! Although you helped me break my bank account too , thanks for that also .

It may not be YOUR color chioces and all on this bike, but you'll have a hard time not admitting its pure badd-mamma-jamma-motorcross stuff going on in this build for sure .

I hope to have the wheels on soon too, then I can actually ride this thing . It has been a long time comming, let me tell ya . It was allot like and still is like having a X-Mas gift you can't go out and play with or your short on batteries to make it work . Drives me nutts !!!!!!!! It was and is allot like building the Norton Commando when I di it years agao, I lived, ate, breathed motorcycle day in and day out till it was done . Same goes here on this pit-bike today, I live, eat breath this bike, daily, minutely , hourly to get it done, but it has taken a toll on me because I don't just slapp stuff together, so it has made me very patient in a impatient sort of way wating on parts, waiting on ideas to fabricate things through thier processes . A real test of ones inner sanity indeed not to rush through anything just because your chomping the pit-bike bit if you will .
The wheel spacers are to be machined thousands of an inch at a time to get everything centered and straight , so I cannot just rush through that process, but it is the only thing left to do and I am dieing here !!!!!
Especially after starting this beast this morning .
Oh the humanity ! 8O

Well, that's enough for now, pics tonight, I promise that much .

Later, Cheers, Kelly5150 out

Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #2

Sounds really cool. Can't wait for the pics!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #3

:P Don't blame me....!!!

Nice bike Kelly, I am quite jealous of your goodies that you purchased.

My daughters' bike could use a few of everything....however I am spending my extra cash on new basement full bathroom, and kinda short on bike funds. I can cheat a little though and will make some pieces at work ( I assistant manage a Welding/machine shop and need some practice machining( I am 35 year old apprentice Machinist :roll: ) Most of all my parts have always been homebuilt copies of the major manufactures. ( i am cheap/ there is poor choice around for aftermarket/factory parts, I enjoy fabrication)
Both my kids bikes are running well, I just need to tune my quad and we will be ready for spring...only another month till snow goes...
I have been debating a 250 mx for my wifey...hmm what can I sell for that???
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 03-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #4

Thanks Warrior91

Thanks Warrior .
I do pay my bills first, just like you do , and I am sure a Bath remodel is more important to the family than you owning another bike, right .
If you didn't build their bathroom they would piss in your gas tank for lack of somewhere to pee, so your doing the right things first .
It is nice that you have the skills and machine shop to use too, I envy that. I have lots of equiptment, but my DirtyGirl88 is the only one in the family that has the use of her works machine shop , she being a Millwright too . But even without the lathes and milling machines, we do just fine hand fabricating just about everything we actually need unless its motor oriented .
Good luck with the remodel .

Cheers, Kelly

Old 03-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #5

Thanx man...(Pee in gas tank... LOL) Having a lathe and milling machine at my disposal is fairly handy...All I have at the shop at the farm is an 80 ton press, 1910 fairbanks drill press (morse taper) and a couple welders...I learned to machine with a side grindetr and vice...lol

It is very cool that Dirtygirl is a millwright... I am thinking about millwright as a final ticket, because here it will take an extra year of schooling once I obtain my machinist ticket and pair it with my welding papers. :P

When I was growing up, my grandfather and I fabricated pretty much all our fixes on the farm...he tought me the art of blacksmith/welder as soon as I was old enough to swing a 2 lb sledge. I think it must be in my blood to wrench.

I think these China bikes will satisfy my urge to fix for a long time...

Keep rubber side down.
Warrior91

Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #6

Thanks Bro Warrior91

Thanks Brother Warrior91,
Sounds like you got a good grasp on the fixing things for yourself . What is that old saying ? " Creativity and invention is the direct cause of you breaking your stuff and not having money to have it fixed by skilled proffesionals " ????? Works for me !
Yeh, Stacey is lucky, she is surrounded by competant Millwright Men daily. She is the Office Guru at Turbo Mechanical Inc. , they do million dollar Turbine work for power plants , maintenance and full instal fabrication . She got hired as the Office Manager for the company but her boss loves her work ethic and started to take her on jobs all over the USA , so she got handed her card without even going for that as a carreer . Now she does both office stuff and goes on jobs too, NICE ! She is leaving for Oregon April for two weeks, should squeek out about $5,000.00 for two weeks work. Thats why we have toys, plus I make excellent money being a Master Carpenter too in the States . I work on Outhouses to Multi Million dollar Custom homes, I can do it all from the ground up and do it very well too . Your bathroom would be right up my daily alley of course Warrior91 .
I have to say Stacey is as big a jerk as I am, so don't take her too off as a person, were just highly vocal and obviously not well mannered or tollerant when we think were being picked on . I tried to explain you to her prior to her post to you, that your just vocal and Canadian outspoken and thats just how you are, but she went on a tyrrant about your post , so take it for what it is my friend , and it aint much Lol She is pretty good people nonetheless , and after I took that stupid carburetor of mine off her bike and bought her a Japenese one and got her to fix her tire finally from prodding her along, I told her you were right anyway wasn't he Stacey ???? LOL ! She just felt like you were being bossy , so don't let that stop any teasing you may do to her or posts to her, she needs the abuse , I don't give her nearly what she deserves for abuse around here anyway Warrior91 . She has it pretty darn good around here obvuiosly with me buying thousands of dollars of toys for her yearly . If she wasn't so beautiful , and very tallented , and road bikes, I certainly wouldn't have her around .

Were thinking of getting a welder now that you mention welding . I used to be very good at Gas welding but haven't touched it in years. I would like to get into a wirefeed or even some Mig stuff, I would be a natural at it I am sure, plus doing my own frames would be a sure fire way to get exactly what I want in my rake and stretch on my builds of the frame and bikes . But good welders aint cheap as you know . I can dream !!!
I do know I can weld better than anything I have seen from China though .
That swingarm has very nice Tig welds on it, but it is Flying 50's stuff from America , so what do you expect from America but the best anyway . God knows it cost enough $$$$$$ it had better be nice welds .
I ordered some nearly flushmount Rotor bolts today for the little pit-bike, and have the spacers cut, filed , chopped down to size, so hopefully in a week or so I can actually ride this thing. I put a new gas filter on it today, its tight in there and had to route some fancy stuff around to have the room to make it flow downhill. I hate when my tubing is not perfectly able to flow unobstructed downhill. I know Mikuni's use vaccume to do that anyway, but I HAVE to have it right in my mind too, let alone in gravity man !!!! Now it flows downhill, its right, and I can sleep at night and the gas is being filtered too. Life is good today . Man, am I anal retetive or what !!! No wonder I am good carpenter ?

I agree with the China bike comment, they are perfect for people like us. They are reasonably inexpensive "unless you build one like me once in awhile " , but they require some serious enginuity to work out the bugs and to fabricate things through the processes you need to process to make them roll right, let alone run right . Its kinda cool too to work on them . Plus I am getting some well needed electrical experience with all of them too now, I know how they work now through every aspect of firing and all, and I even did all the wiring on this pit-bike, tore it apart, soldered every connection , pulled the coil apart, soldered all the fittings and made it stout . That was fun and new to me to do for the most part too, is to start from spooled wire and make some of my own stuff , big and fat and soldered together well to make sure this thing runs strong. I guess proof is in the pudding as the Britts would say when you got a bike that you built from nuts and bolts and it fires up the first time and runs right the first time . Now that was satisfying , but it took years of knowhow to pull it off though , but at least I pulled it off instead of had a pile of bolts sitting there not running and wondering why? Those days are over thank God almighty that he gave me the tallent to work too .

Well brother, take care have fun and will chat later,
Kelly over and out

Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #7

Geez I wish you were closer, I am sure my renovations would go by fairly well over some B.S. and cold beer...needless to say , some knowledgable help. I was a construction labourer then stickframer in the early 90's and its been a while since I played carpenter....like riding a bike though...start out slow but eventually picking up speed. LOL

Tell dirty girl that I was not trying to be ignorant...I was speaking to her like I would talk to a peer or equal...no special treatment because she is female. No pussy footing around :wink:

Old 03-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #8

Yo Bro Warrior91

I hear ya on the DirtyGirl88 thing, you aint gotta explain yourself to me on that one, I live with her ! I will mention it to her though . She reads this stuff too, spying on my life , so she is aware . I find most woman are kinda way off base most of the time on understanding males , and visa-versa , so it is all good man . I don't even try to understand anymore, so that makes me smarter, happier anyway . I gave up understanding woman long ago , as I realized I may as well kill myself first, because you just will never understand and it will just make you do stupid stuff or kill yourself . Neither would be productive, and you'd be killing the wrong person anyway 8O .

Yeh, the internet is cool and all, but unfortuntely we will never meet most of the people we talk to here . But, without the Internet we would have never met at all ? So, that's cool too !
As far as the BS and beer, sounds good . I honestly don't drink though , at least not alcohol . I will leave that up to the capable to do so people here. I am Indian and Pollock, it just doesn't wear well in my blood line Warrior91 . I love to drink Jim Beam Wiskey, way tooooooooooo much , understand ?
We just got back from a 4 day Convention at Ocean Shores this month for a thing they call " Clean and Free by the Sea " , it's an NA ( Narcotics Annonomous ) thing we love to go to to get away with friends and reflect on how nice life is without addiction in it now. Neither of us have any Narcotic addcitions , but I am an alcoholic for sure and have tons of friends ( yeh believe it, I have friends ) that go there , so we go there to get away each year on the Beach . We rent a Condo with hot tub in the front room and just have a great old time . They have Speakers and meetings and Music and fun, you know the drill . I was fortunate enough after my first round of college to get into the restaraunt bussiness , since Ronald RAYGUN put a hiring freeze on my Forestry carreer in California when I graduated, two weeks prior to me graduating of course :evil: , so I started to learn Chef stuff under a a guy at Barkleys of LaConner here in Washington prior to carpentry . It was called the Country Inn back then , high end gourmet stuff. So, when we go to Ocean Shores for this thing, instead of getting drunk, we Chef it up and have a blast instead. Oh and the biggest perk, we remember what we did !

I will post some of my work on the Misc forum soon, so you can check out the quality of my trade and my work of course . I got an Ebony and Purple-Heart wood Urn ( yes , death URN ) I am building for my Fiance's Rottweillers ( she was a breeder ) that is worthy of checking out . Have another one too ( URN ) that I am building for a friend out of Clear Vertical Grained Hemlock too, ( Cannadian wood actually out of BC ) that is outstanding if I do say so myself .
Will post some of my work soon . I am nearly done with both Urns now anyway, have 45 counted coats of Synthetic Laquer on the Ebony Urn so far with another 20 to go at least . That should paint a picture of how deep the finish looks on my stuff ? It is done in the Japenese style Laquer, clear finish depth , very deep looking, like it has a slab of clear glass around the entire thing, but it is laquer instead. Very cool art form there . I hate the Japenese for bombing us, but I love there talent . Do I hold a grudge or what !

Well, thanks for the post, I have babbled long enough and said very little so will end this written Docudrama now .
Its early here, snow on the ground this morning ( I thought it was Spring for Gods sake ! ) , time to get busy, got to ride today

Later, Cheers, Kelly5150 out