Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2019, 03:45 AM   #1

New Hawks have new style gas tank? Screw on lid

Watched this video n noticed gas cap is a screw on style, like the DLX efi?

Had to giggle tho he replaced the carb cause stock carb needs jetting and then later said his mikuni needs jetting also——so........ seems a bit pointless way to go but free to choose etc

Old 10-21-2019, 04:38 AM   #2

Yeah, the 2019 regular Hawks have the same cap as the EFI DLX Hawk. Funny thing is, lots of guys here would love to have that style of fuel cap, but I had a guy ask me where I got my locking gas cap from because he doesn't like the screw style cap.

As far as the Fakuni needing jetting, that's a known quantity and always has been. The point isn't to get something that doesn't need jetting, it's to have something you can jet with ease. As has been stated before, the Mikuni jets are much easier to get locally and before you found a source of the OEM style pilot, the only way to actually dial in the pilot jet. Plus, let's face it, the information on the Mikuni clone jetting is so abundant that even a complete carb-tard could setup their bike with any combination of modifications - none to maximum - and have it idling perfectly and pulling strongly with very little fiddling. That has always been the appeal.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Yeah, the 2019 regular Hawks have the same cap as the EFI DLX Hawk. Funny thing is, lots of guys here would love to have that style of fuel cap, but I had a guy ask me where I got my locking gas cap from because he doesn't like the screw style cap.

As far as the Fakuni needing jetting, that's a known quantity and always has been. The point isn't to get something that doesn't need jetting, it's to have something you can jet with ease. As has been stated before, the Mikuni jets are much easier to get locally and before you found a source of the OEM style pilot, the only way to actually dial in the pilot jet. Plus, let's face it, the information on the Mikuni clone jetting is so abundant that even a complete carb-tard could setup their bike with any combination of modifications - none to maximum - and have it idling perfectly and pulling strongly with very little fiddling. That has always been
the appeal.
There’s plenty of info on both imo
I’ve got 8 sets left and selling too slow so won’t be stocking more etc
Racks I have 1 left and sell toooo slow won’t stock more either.
Plenty digital speedo left atm and some old style lock sets.
I might drag the big hawk suitable tank (I think it’s correct) and USD front end I have to the USA and see if I can part with it or just end up dumping it in the scrap lol - no use to me here at all

Old 10-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Isn’t that chain overly tight??

Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #5

Yes Jay's 2019 Hawk has the screw on gas cap and I'm definitely envious of it. Wish mine had the same.

It took drilling the pilot and hours of tuning to get the stock carb dialed in. The Mikuni clone is so much easier. I followed some common settings for it and slapped it on Jay's bike and it ran perfectly the first time. That's the difference.

I need a wheel sensor, can you post up a pic and a price?
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 10-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

What they want for a new style/old style screw cap tank?
Seems then there’s option to change? Or plastics differ ?

I kinda don’t like the idea of anyone just opening the cap n putting sugar in there or taken some fuel etc
Seems a little too easy

Old 10-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post

It took drilling the pilot and hours of tuning to get the stock carb dialed in. The Mikuni clone is so much easier. I followed some common settings for it and slapped it on Jay's bike and it ran perfectly the first time. That's the difference.
?
Lol why? Body n design basically the same etc and there was an easier kit available - WAS being the operative word.
How the hell was it so hard when others had videos instruction suggestions and not to mention you argued that drilling a jet was not the way to go

Think maybe china bikes cause a china mindset lol
Like the local boys argue you don’t tune or jet a carb etc - ok I’ll let them believe they are right cause this is China n I’m wrong cause I’m an outsider

Physics seem to work differently here
Gravity is an idea n engines can hold less oil so it’s cheaper in the NC250

Hence I have my own lift n tools, I’ll go to my man cave and be the crazy one alone
There I get peace from the crazies lol

Old 10-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #8

I still don't think drilling jets is a good idea, but it was something I had to do out of necessity because there were no other options available at the time. And even after it was drilled I still had to keep playing with different shims on the needle and different main jets to get it right.

Went through the same BS when tuning a Hawk carb for Jay's TBR7, and finally figured out it has a more restrictive airbox so it required smaller jets and no shims on the needle. The Mikuni is simply a better design, plug and play with no headaches. And who wants to cut screws and remove the mixture plug just to get in the carb, is that something you prefer to do? 😅

So no wheel sensor to sell? 🤔

Old 10-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #9

You can think what you want, but the reality is far different from what you think. There are nowhere near as many examples of the Stock PZ30 carb tuned well. Lots of examples of guys who just "monkey see monkey do" slapped a too large main jet and stuff a bunch of shims under their needle to overcompensate for the fact that the pilot was too lean. Then, even with a larger pilot option from CCW, that cost as much as the entire fake mikuni btw ($16+9 shipping), it was still somewhat undersized for a bike with bolt on modifications.

Or, buy a $25 Fakuni, and about $16-20 in genuine jets and with 2 minutes of reading through a few examples of jetting for said carb, on said bikes, with various mods, from 50 different owners, at various elevations, Install appropriate jets, and go.

Try to look up PZ30 specific tuning and the only good examples of in depth tuning info comes directly from the two guys you happen to be arguing with. One of whom used actual jets without drilling them, one who drilled. Both of us had the same tuning issues.

Yes, the body of the carb is similar. Functionally they should be more or less the same. Yet, and bear in mind this is somebody that has now jetted and tuned 4 different carbs on a Hawk, the VM26 clone is just simply the easiest to get dialed and running extremely well. Heck, my PE30 Nibbi was easier to get dialed in and running well than the PZ30 that comes on the bike.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #10

Even after getting it "right" the stock carb is so finicky that if it's below 80° I have to run a 110 main jet. If it's above 80° I have to run a 108 to get optimum performance. So I settled for the 110 as a compromise and it just doesn't run quite as well on really hot days.

I really doubt Jay will have that much trouble with his Mikuni clone. And thanks for the praise Dan, it means alot coming from a master such as yourself.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

"The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"

-Stephen W. Hawking

Old 10-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
I still don't think drilling jets is a good idea, but it was something I had to do out of necessity because there were no other options available at the time. And even after it was drilled I still had to keep playing with different shims on the needle and different main jets to get it right.

Went through the same BS when tuning a Hawk carb for Jay's TBR7, and finally figured out it has a more restrictive airbox so it required smaller jets and no shims on the needle. The Mikuni is simply a better design, plug and play with no headaches. And who wants to cut screws and remove the mixture plug just to get in the carb, is that something you prefer to do? 😅

So no wheel sensor to sell? 🤔

Why shim the needle?
Use the correct style with clips n grooves.
Each to there own etc but I just don’t see it and no I won’t try cause I’m China we don’t get this budget bike set up, many or most run injection and the local bikes are just better then what you boys in the USA seem to get.
Chinese boys look at me funny when I tell them what you guys buy etc

Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #13

The stock carb is a great carb if you read up on it and watch the couple videos on it. My bike with the MODIFIED stock pz30 runs perfect, super fast start up with no choke from 65 degrees and up even when kick starting (one kick only needed), super steady idle at 1400, and pulls smooth and strong all the way up to rev limiter. You would swear it was fuel injected.

I did try a Fakuni to see if I can get it to run as good or better than my Modified pz30 but my Fakuni is defective. Idles poorly, the float pin does not seat properly. But again I can't imagine getting it better than it is with the pz30. Was curious tho about the Fakuni.

Now from what I have seen most new comers don't read up on stuff or take advise well. Hell many don't even know how to work the choke. Not putting folks down, but like I said, all you have to do is a little reading and research.

And yes there is more quick info to find about the set up on the Fakuni.

I have been wrenching on bikes since 12 years old, and have been working in the automotive field since 16. I'm 52 now. So yes stuff comes much easier to me on this stuff.

Above all, ride safe.

Carb info:

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=24088

Old 10-21-2019, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Why shim the needle?
Use the correct style with clips n grooves.
Each to there own etc but I just don’t see it and no I won’t try cause I’m China we don’t get this budget bike set up, many or most run injection and the local bikes are just better then what you boys in the USA seem to get.
Chinese boys look at me funny when I tell them what you guys buy etc
Yeah yeah, bikes sold in China are far superior because "money flows from a round eye's wallet like diarrhea from a hog's a$$", which is true because of inbreeding, democrats, and our current no-spanking policy.

But when we tried to use YOUR needle from YOUR kit on Jay's TBR7 it wouldn't work in any position because of the poor machining tolerances, same for the pilot jet stamped as a 42 but clearly was about an 80 considering it only took 30 seconds to foul the plug with fuel smoke belching out the exhaust. But I still recommend your kit and most of what was included was a good deal for the price.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #15

I wish i had the screw on gas cap. The one one on the storm will pull a siphon and leak gas down the tank due to poor design of the vent.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.