Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Which Bike? Looking for suggestions

Hi Gurus,
I've been away from offroad riding for some time (except mountain bike) and am looking to get back into it.

I really like the Honday 250 rally. But don't want to spend that much money on what would likely be my re-entry point before going bigger.

So looking for a bike with similar specs (minus HP on the 250s).

I'm considering the:

SSR XF250 (looks like it has everything needed to get started)
Brozz 250 (i'm concerned it might be a little small)
Orion RXB-250L (looks a little short on accessories)
Hawk DLX 250 (concerned with wheel base, and it seems the seat height specs vary from site to site)?

And now the outlier due to price, but it looks compelling
GPX FSE 450R (still pe-order ?) But a longer term option

I'm 52 years old, 6', 195lbs.

Thanks for all the help!!
-Jim

Old 11-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! If your looking for more off-road capability I would stick with the Orion RXB-250L. On and off road I would go with the SSR XF250. Nothing wrong with the Hawk or Brozz but the above have a much better suspension for off road.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks, Jerry,
And I appreciate your videos, I've watched them all and they are one of the reasons the hawk made the list (motocheez also).

Can you tell me what the actual seat height is of your bike? I see it at 34" on some sites, 36" on others?

Also, would you mind sharing your height and weight? Just curious to see if you feel the bike is right-sized for you.

Jim

Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
Thanks, Jerry,
And I appreciate your videos, I've watched them all and they are one of the reasons the hawk made the list (motocheez also).

Can you tell me what the actual seat height is of your bike? I see it at 34" on some sites, 36" on others?

Also, would you mind sharing your height and weight? Just curious to see if you feel the bike is right-sized for you.

Jim
It was around 36" when new. Probably around 34" now that the rears shock got some wear on it. It's soften up a good bit. I'll eventually replace it with a better shock. I need to get back to shooting some more videos. Weather hasn't been cooperating.
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Orion RXB-250L (looks a little short on accessories)
What it lacks in farkles it makes up for with hardware. As Jerry said, it has the best suspension of all the bikes you named. It has more travel and full adjustability behind it and some billet aluminum hardware as well.

The funny thing is, I know exactly what bike you are looking for, because I think it is the same bike many of us want. We want the hardware of the RXB and GPX bikes with the bigger fuel tank and more road bike friendly seating/equipment of the cheaper bikes.

The Hawk DLX/TT250/Brozz look like the bike I just described, but they aren't, not even close. They have the cheaper upside down forks and cheaper steel swing arms with direct mount shocks, both with fairly limited travel (6-7 inches max) when compared to a proper off road bikes 8+"
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #6

I really like my Hawk but If the Orion RXB-250L would of been available 3 rears ago that would of been the bike I would of bought. Much more suited for off road.
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

More thanks

Excellent commentary everyone, keep it coming.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #8

I think the Orion RXB-250L will be the best bang for the buck. Upgrades along are worth it.
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #9

I too think the Orion RXB is a top choice. But since I don't have any real experience with any of the bikes you listed except for one, I will give you what I think about the Brozz.
You stated your fear that the bike will be too small. I am 6'1" tall and can't flat foot the bike so I don't think that will be an issue at all. The Brozz is a very solid bike for $1750. When I first got my bike together and went for the first ride I didn't go too far in fear that it would leave me stranded. Well at over 3000 miles now I have no fear of leaving home and returning five or six hours later. I fully trust the reliability of the bike. I haven't had any issues with it of a break down or parts falling off or anything of the sorts. It's a real good bike for the money.
But you stated that you want to get back into off road riding and there is probably some better suited bikes out there for hard core dirt riding. But if you want to hit the trails and do some woods riding and nothing extreme I think the Brozz would shine there also.
One thing to consider is a dual sport is not great in both of the dual sports in most cases, one will be better suited for road commuting and another maybe better in the dirt. So whatever works best for you is what is best.
Another thing to consider at 52 years young is comfort. I think the seat on the Brozz is probably one of the best stock OEM seats I have sat on. I can ride for hours with little problems on this seat. The riding position is very good as well, as I'm sure most of these dual sport bikes are.
The bike feels very planted on the road and gives you confidence that it will be a safe ride. The Brozz also has a pretty good size gas tank and at almost 70mpg I can usually go almost 200 miles between fill ups.
As good as the RXB is and I think it is very much worth the money for all that you get. For me at 59 years young the seat and the small gas tank is a deal breaker. But then again I mostly use my bike for commuting.
The one down side to the Brozz is the CG 15hp engine. With a few mods, and mods are relatively cheap, you can make it run with a little more pep in it's step though.
Whatever you decide I wish you well and Welcome!
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 11-16-2019, 04:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
The Brozz also has a pretty good size gas tank and at almost 70mpg I can usually go almost 200 miles between fill ups.
As good as the RXB is and I think it is very much worth the money for all that you get. For me at 59 years young the seat and the small gas tank is a deal breaker. But then again I mostly use my bike for commuting.
The one down side to the Brozz is the CG 15hp engine. With a few mods, and mods are relatively cheap, you can make it run with a little more pep in it's step though.
Whatever you decide I wish you well and Welcome!
This is exactly why the bike most of us really want is a mix of the Orion RXB/GPX bikes with their longer travel, adjustable, tuneable, fast ace suspension and progressive linkage rear shock (and the aluminum goodies) but with the seating, bigger tank, etc. of the Brozz/Hawk/TT250.

Give me a Hawk DLX with THAT combination (and a higher mounted rear master cylinder and aluminum rims) for no more than $2500 (and the Orion proves it could be done!) and I would trade my current Hawk out in a heart beat.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #11

Really good stuff fellas

Herbie,

Thanks for your comments and you have gotten me thinking about the Brozz (and my original post).

I gave this a lot of thought last night (not to mention spent some time on a DRZ400 yesterday). My original post does lead one to think I'm primarily interested in off-roading.
In reality, it's a mix of on/off-road. Use the roads (I do enjoy this also) to get to the trails. Thus an Enduro/Rally bike is ideal for me.
I wish Ducati would make a smaller desert sled (that would be a no brainer), I also wish the SWM was more affordable (alas, it will never be).

So instead of targeting the perfect affordable bike, I think we have to look for a base platform that allows us to get there.

So, maybe the Brozz is it? The upright riding position, nice sized gas tank and affordable. Specs that are condcive on-road and in the trails (let's face it, I'm not the rider I used to be).

Apologies if I'm all over the place.
Jim

Old 11-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #12

Last week I followed a group ride in my Subaru out in the desert wilderness outside of the Phoenix area (it is the thread about the Wickenburg ride in the Riding section).

There was member Musictrek on his Brozz 250, member Emerikol's friend on his Hawk 250, and member Alex_in_AZ on his Tao TBR7. Most of the ride was on the sand, but all three Chinese bikes (Emerikol himself was on his Suzuki DRZ650 while he made his friend who flew in from Georgia get the Chinabike experience on his Hawk, lol) did well. All 4 riders rode to the starting point, and once we all got to Wickenburg, all four riders rode back towards Phoenix on highways. All four bikes were fine...yes Alex on the Tao TBR7 had some problems; one was a flat tire thanks to a LARGE desert shrubbery's thorn, and the other was starting problems which he easily solved later on with a new CDI unit. The point is, any Chinese bike can be a great starting-off bike. I was impressed with each one, INCLUDING the TBR7 (I had a feeling the issues were an easy fix), because each one for me could be used as a daily commuter (33 miles round trip a day), and weekend explorer.

That being said, if you are considering a bike to beat on and for longevity and are willing to pay extra dollars for, but under the price of a 'brand' name, go for the GPX. Here is a good review of a 250 version:

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #13

Many Thanks

Looks like I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes.
The GPX FSE250R and the SSR XF250 Dual Sport. Leaning towards the SSR, may pull the trigger tomorrow.

thanks
Jim

Old 11-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Looks like I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes.
The GPX FSE250R and the SSR XF250 Dual Sport. Leaning towards the SSR, may pull the trigger tomorrow.

thanks
Jim

The GPX FSE250R is the better bike. It has the 6-speed water-cooled EFI engine. Top notch suspension & components.

Ask if they are still on sale.

Here's a great thread about them: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...sembly-thread/

Old 12-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #15

Thanks all,

GPX FSE 250E is on it's way. I went with this bike to use short term, then gift to one of my boys. To be followed by a 450R for me (assuming all goes well)

Jim
84 Honda Magna
Trek Mntn bike
GPX FSE 250E coming soon