Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

update to... Hawk carb question

ok so update

The carb that is on the bike is a PZ30 and is running with 98 and K40A and there are no notches.

So I know (well my reading of forum posts) if I run a Mikuni at sea level mostly road riding, I would (probably) use a 115 and a 30. so what is the Khein versions of these, is there a chart somewhere showing comparisons? so I know what sizes to try.

Also when ordering a replacement carb on line, I see a lot of VM26 30mm and PZ30 in the same listing, am I wrong in thinking they are 2 different things?

As always thanks in advance

So I am getting to a point where I will hopefully have the bike assembled and ready for first start in the next week. I have done some upgrades whilst putting the bike together, Ebay exhaust (still needs to be fitted) K&N, this bike will be mostly street riding at sea level (ish) so have changed the sprockets to 17/42 with a new chain.

So to my question I have never really tinkered with a carb before. I have read a bunch of forum posts and my head is spinning. If I buy a Mikuni vm26 30mm clone, i can use oem mikuni jets. was looking at this carb
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-VM26...0AAOSwPOBc6LKF
Dont know what jets it has (if any) out the box.

I have read a bunch, as I say, and want to check if my understanding is correct.....I 'think' I will need a 30, 115 if I understand the various articles and wanted to know if someone could yeah or nah me.

Also anyone have their favorite youtube posting of someone installing these and tinkering.

Thanks in advance
Toys include Audi B7, running Stage 2+, S4 Brakes. My VW Vanagon is running 2.5l VVT Subaru engine, 18" AMG wheels, Porsche 944 Steering Wheel, W eekender interior. 1989 VW Vanagon Bluestar one of 2500, 1986 Honda Shadow, 2000 Suzuki Intruder, 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1976 Mercury Capri II, a bunch of Trailers including a shortened Vanagon for camping, a Sequoia and the latest addition a 2019 Hawk 250. (But dont tell the wife! ) (Latest latest addition a 1995 fwd Subaru SVX)

Last edited by nij_tp; 04-28-2020 at 07:05 PM. Reason: update

Old 04-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #2

Maybe...most likely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post
So I am getting to a point where I will hopefully have the bike assembled and ready for first start in the next week. I have done some upgrades whilst putting the bike together, Ebay exhaust (still needs to be fitted) K&N, this bike will be mostly street riding at sea level (ish) so have changed the sprockets to 17/42 with a new chain.

So to my question I have never really tinkered with a carb before. I have read a bunch of forum posts and my head is spinning. If I buy a Mikuni vm26 30mm clone, i can use oem mikuni jets. was looking at this carb
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-VM26...0AAOSwPOBc6LKF
Dont know what jets it has (if any) out the box.

I have read a bunch, as I say, and want to check if my understanding is correct.....I 'think' I will need a 30, 115 if I understand the various articles and wanted to know if someone could yeah or nah me.

Also anyone have their favorite youtube posting of someone installing these and tinkering.

Thanks in advance
All I can say is maybe...most likely. Rather than searching around on-line for jets, I suggest ordering from Jetsrus.com. I have ordered 4 times from them for various carbs, jets and gaskets, and always got stuff in 2 days. Mike, the owner I presume, will answer e-mail questions.

They helped me find the right ones for my "genuine" Mikuni on my Orion RXB. I say "genuine" because the US Mikuni importer has never heard of the VM26 Flange mount, so I think it may just be something for the China and South American market that someone else imports.

The Mains are: Mikuni N100.604 (M21 Jetsrus #). The Pilots are: Mikuni VM28/486 (M24 Jetsrus #).

Cost is about $7 for genuine Mikuni or $5 for quality aftermarket.

At sea level I am not sure, but that 115 you see is likely for lower altitudes like yours. I am at a Mile High and was able to keep the stock 100 Main, but had to change the Pilot to 30 from the stock 20. Left the needle clip in the middle position.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 04-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #3

Before you go ordering jets for the clone carb, make sure you know that it does have the proper pilot jet installed. Some sellers of the Mikuni carbs are shipping off PZ30 clones with the Mikuni name cast into them (My PZ30B says Mikuni right on it, but uses Keihin jets). There has been a few guys on here who got a "Mikuni" with a non mikuni pilot jet installed.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #4

Goob, thank you

Dan, how do I know it a mikuni as opposed to a other, based on the info stamped on them?

Thanks (in advance) again
Toys include Audi B7, running Stage 2+, S4 Brakes. My VW Vanagon is running 2.5l VVT Subaru engine, 18" AMG wheels, Porsche 944 Steering Wheel, W eekender interior. 1989 VW Vanagon Bluestar one of 2500, 1986 Honda Shadow, 2000 Suzuki Intruder, 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1976 Mercury Capri II, a bunch of Trailers including a shortened Vanagon for camping, a Sequoia and the latest addition a 2019 Hawk 250. (But dont tell the wife! ) (Latest latest addition a 1995 fwd Subaru SVX)

Old 04-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #5

Jetsrus can help you out

Quote:
Goob, thank you

Dan, how do I know it a mikuni as opposed to a other, based on the info stamped on them?

Thanks (in advance) again
Megadan may have a better answer, but I worked with Mike at Jetsrus to figure out my jets via a few e-mails.

These flange mount carbs are not something he generally deals with, as I think they are pretty much used for Chinese engines. As I have noted before, the US Mikuni importer (Sudco) does not import these and the gent I corresponded with had never heard of them.

What Mike did was make an educated guess and sent me the measurements and diameter at the thread of the Mikuni jets he thought would work. I took out my jets and measured them. Also, I compared the photos to the actual. Made the order and they fit.

If you think they are maybe Keihin jets after you do the measurement and visual inspection, but before you buy, then make some measurements of what you have and send him photos. He will be able to figure it out.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 04-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #6

I have read lots on mikuni and 30 and a 115 for my type of riding and altitude, but what size is a klein in comparison. Is there a chart someone can point me at to show this?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #7

Roughly, a 45 pilot and the mains are roughly identical if you use the cheaper jets from amazon.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #8

Thanks Dan.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Dan.
No prob. Just keep in mind that is a rough guesstimate.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #10

Dan, (or anyone else :-) )

is the following a (sort of) correct statement

the PZ30 style carbs use Khein (GY6) jets

and

the Mikuni clones (if they are not Mikuni stamped pz30s) use the Mikuni style jets (i realize this 2nd statment is sort of redundant, but for completeness)

once again, thanks in advance

Old 07-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #11

So I stumbled across the following chart at Jetsrus that shows the comparison between the different jet manufactures and the sizes.

https://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_mik...ihin_sizes.htm

Im still not sure how to tell which carb jet style is in the knock off carb I have as in another post Wild Dog had said that ....... with most of the chinese carbs, .. you may have a PZ30 that use keihin jets or a PZ30 that use mikuni jets..