Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #1

Storm 250 Sputtering and not running well

I have a Bashan Storm 250 that is giving me all kinds of trouble now for some reason. I have a pod air filter and stock exhaust. I have 1 shim on the needle, 108 main jet and 34 (stock) pilot jet. I live right at sea-level. When taking off and riding at low RPM it tries to bog, RPMs jump all over the place and sounds like a crappy Harley. Once it gets above about 5,000 rpm it starts to behave much better. The bike also seems to run hot. It's pretty uncomfortable on my calf. That may be completely normal for these bikes, though...I dunno. Below is a video showing what I'm talking about. I just don't know what else to do with it. Any suggestions would be fantastic!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U1kjtQ38juW9mpbw6

Old 06-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

After typing this I had an epiphany. The pod filter I have is a cotton/paper type of material like K&N filters. I recently sprayed it with K&N filter oil. I was wondering if maybe the bike isn't breathing good enough. I just rode it around with the filter off and it seems to be running much better now. Still hot though... I'm just going to put the stock filter back on and be done with it.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

Not that Im any kind of expert but 34 pilot jet is way too lean for a CB motor. I live around 1000ft elevation and still get a bit of decel poping with a 38 jet once things warm up. Your pod filter allows a whole lot more airflow than you think, a 40 pilot would probably be more appropriate for your setup.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #4

I had a 40 on my Storm with the aftermarket exhaust, After putting the stock exhaust back on the 40 was a little too rich. Id play around with a 36 or 38, if the filter is adding to much air I would put more fuel on it and take the power gain as opposed to going back to the restricted factory box.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket tests View Post
Not that Im any kind of expert but 34 pilot jet is way too lean for a CB motor. I live around 1000ft elevation and still get a bit of decel poping with a 38 jet once things warm up. Your pod filter allows a whole lot more airflow than you think, a 40 pilot would probably be more appropriate for your setup.
I think you are right with the airflow of the pod filter and messing with the jetting

I'm at 10 mamsl, i did quick check and he should be around -2 to 6 mamsl.

The engines that you see on the bashan and hawk "250"(230cc) come with Keihin PD (PZ30 Pumper) clones that use keihin jets. They use Pilot 35 and the Main 120. They run fine no issues at all and they are just at the limit of being too lean.

The CRF230 comes with a real Keihin PD, they use PJ 35 and Main 125

The CRF250 which is a different beast use the FCR with PJ 45 and since it is a "premium" you can choose 3 options for Main jets 142, 145 and 150