Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #1

instrument cluster install TBR7

installing the Brozz style instrument cluster on the TBR7 and i think it will be a fine and dandy install but ......

i am wondering where exactly the tachometer lead (blue with a white stripe) gets spliced or connected to?

this is my first tachometer install but i do fairly well with electrical installs....

any other wisdom on the install will certainly be appreciated as well...

thanks and cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E0509FED-68D5-448A-A4CF-98E9D4B5B362.jpg (17.6 KB, 1090 views)

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 06-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #2

Dude... please please please video tape the install.

I want it!!!!!

Old 06-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

what happened to the other post?

Old 06-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post

I want it!!!!!
i am waiting from a reply from nzbrakelathes aka taki the seller... but maybe i will...

Old 06-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #5

have read the instructions but they are not specific.... they read "needs to connect to the main plug area from the engine and same general location as the gear switch indicator is located." huh?

the interwebs say basically "negative side of coil" for tach install on a motorcycle..

after watching jack of all master of none yt video tach install on a hawk...connects his to the same harness the gear indicator hooks up to.... also a blue and white wire (same colors as comes from the instrument cluster) that connects to who knows where.... maybe the negative side of the coil?

motocheez does the same

chinarider NC does the same with a different tachometer

so most likely thats the spot

i personally will not be splicing into that wire (unless i absolutely have to and even then only with a a positap) but will be following it to a better connection point

Last edited by Kenstogie; 06-11-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenstogie View Post
have read the instructions but they are not specific.... they read "needs to connect to the main plug area from the engine and same general location as the gear switch indicator is located." huh?

the interwebs say basically "negative side of coil" for tach install on a motorcycle..

after watching jack of all master of none yt video tach install on a hawk...connects his to the same harness the gear indicator hooks up to.... also a blue and white wire (same colors as comes from the instrument cluster) that connects to who knows where.... maybe the negative side of the coil?

motocheez does the same

chinarider NC does the same with a different tachometer

so most likely thats the spot

i personally will not be splicing into that wire (unless i absolutely have to and even then only with a a positap) but will be following it to a better connection point
if you can wait till tonight, I'll take a picture of where I did mine
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 06-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
if you can wait till tonight, I'll take a picture of where I did mine
i would definitely take a pick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Splice the blue/white wire from the tach to the blue/white wire above the stator plug that is blue/white. And use that positap that is what mine came with.
ok i pretty much only use posi taps.... they are the best according to my mechanical friend sporting the r1200gs

Old 06-11-2020, 07:17 PM   #8

Check my thread - has the info.
I do not suggest cutting or anything that might damage the wire.
Simply strip about 1 inch from the wire and inert it into the plug at the engine area or CDI - drop the bare wire down the female terminal and connect.
If you have any issues it is better that it isn't from damaging factory wire which causes bike to not work, better tacho to not work and then just repeat the process

Old 06-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post

I want it!!!!!
It just plug directly in and connect battery + and the tacho wire to plug from engine etc the big 6 pic that is from stator......

Old 06-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Check my thread - has the info.
I do not suggest cutting or anything that might damage the wire.
Simply strip about 1 inch from the wire and inert it into the plug at the engine area or CDI - drop the bare wire down the female terminal and connect.
If you have any issues it is better that it isn't from damaging factory wire which causes bike to not work, better tacho to not work and then just repeat the process
thanks so much... could you drop a link or tell me the name because i looked through New versions of digital cluster TBR7 Hawk and the like.
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=24345 and didn't see it...

Old 06-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #11

I was able to successfully install the new instrument cluster.... It was a good time as my daughter has been after me to teach her about motorcycles so we did this mod together.... It all went about as you'd expect with no real
surprises and I "looked" like I knew what I was doing. I then taught her what clutch was and we had a lesson on that.... can you smell it?

It's all straight forward mostly plug and play.... though you do have to take off the headlight assembly, Tank, seat, and the left side body panels...... I took this opportunity to heat shrink and tape every electrical harness under the instrument cluster ..... and there are quite a few. I also did the 4 or 5 bullet connectors under there with double heat shrink

the only thing the directions are not very clear about is where the Tach signal wire gets connected (blue/white stripe) on the 2020 TBR7 where I got it from is the CDI Unit (pic below) IF you pull the CDI unit there are 2 connectors and one of them also has a blue with a white stripe. I used a Posi-Tap and though Posi-taps have great reviews and all just not in love with it....

Do I like it? Yes mostly. It's about what I expected but there are a couple things to be aware of should you decide to do this....

there is the very occasional tachometer "jump" in RPMS (could be my unit) and there is also some Latency (1/8 sec appx/maybe) in the reading as well....

In the picture below the CDI unit is what's pointed at by the yellow zip tie..... (note that you won't have a relay next to yours. I put that in there for the aux lighting I have and was a convenient and neat place to secure it)

***I am not sure how well they work but there are Tachs that are noninvasive from Amazon for about 20 bucks....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200614_124801.jpg (89.6 KB, 954 views)
File Type: jpg 20200614_140626.jpg (70.3 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg image-20200614_125032.jpg (96.4 KB, 928 views)

Old 06-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenstogie View Post
I was able to successfully install the new instrument cluster.... It was a good time as my daughter has been after me to teach her about motorcycles so we did this mod together.... It all went about as you'd expect with no real
surprises and I "looked" like I knew what I was doing. I then taught her what clutch was and we had a lesson on that.... can you smell it?

It's all straight forward mostly plug and play.... though you do have to take off the headlight assembly, Tank, seat, and the left side body panels...... I took this opportunity to heat shrink and tape every electrical harness under the instrument cluster ..... and there are quite a few. I also did the 4 or 5 bullet connectors under there with double heat shrink

the only thing the directions are not very clear about is where the Tach signal wire gets connected (blue/white stripe) on the 2020 TBR7 where I got it from is the CDI Unit (pic below) IF you pull the CDI unit there are 2 connectors and one of them also has a blue with a white stripe. I used a Posi-Tap and though Posi-taps have great reviews and all just not in love with it....

Do I like it? Yes mostly. It's about what I expected but there are a couple things to be aware of should you decide to do this....

there is the very occasional tachometer "jump" in RPMS (could be my unit) and there is also some Latency (1/8 sec appx/maybe) in the reading as well....

In the picture below the CDI unit is what's pointed at by the yellow zip tie..... (note that you won't have a relay next to yours. I put that in there for the aux lighting I have and was a convenient and neat place to secure it)

***I am not sure how well they work but there are Tachs that are noninvasive from Amazon for about 20 bucks....

I installed mine today too. Mine was a unit from eBay, US seller but it came from China.

Install was easy as could be.

Very pleased with it. My tack is a wee jumpy by a couple hundred rpm, small delay on blipping the throttle, but within the Rev range it seems fine.

Can finally dial that idle speed in a lot closer now! (and yes, I did change it to miles from kmh after the photo).

Old 06-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #13

Subscribed.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #14

new speed O

I installed a the exact speedometer on the Brozz 250 on my 2020 TBR7 and love it. Took me a few hours , because I am very careful to follow instructions and I am O.C.D. about looks wiring staying neat and tidy..

Old 06-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #15

TBR7 you don't need to pull the tank - the 2 wires you can snake past the tank etc.

I cannot understand why finding th large 6 pn plug on left side of the bike with the blue/white wire is such a struggle? That said the CDI is the same wire as it is the pick up sensor etc.

That said these bikes are not sold here but plenty are much the same set up etc