Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #1

went for my first legal road ride

Just got my motorcycle liscense today and took the gy5 for a ride. went about 5 or 6 miles and the bike bogged and died on me while going 50 mph. Then wouldnt start back up again. I played with it a bit and finall got it to start poorly with the choke on but then it would die again. It sat for about 15 min with me tinkering with the idle and air filter and wires and such looking for a problem then it started again ran fine for about 100 yards then did the same thing but worse. this time the engine kinda locked up a bit but then spun again but would not start again. So i got a ride back to the house got the trailer and picked it up. Brought it home and the thing runs fine now. I think it over heated. but while cruising at 50 mph for maybe 3 minutes? I am very disappointed with this thing. i have been riding it offroad with no problems at all for weeks in situations where an air cooled engine would get much hotter and i have not had a problem. Any thoughts?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #2

Did you change out the cheap Chinese oil?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #3

yes just changed the oil maybe 25 miles ago. And it was changed when it was first purchased by me. It only has 415 miles on it. It might be a touch low on oil i put in a quart.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #4

Almost sounds like a coil issue?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #5

i would bet there is some junk in your petcock or carb.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #6

do you have gas in it? yes, a very stupid question, buts it has happened to lots of people. these things get such good gas mileage that its just something we forget sometimes

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #7

Yes i have gas in it. The coil was also a thought that i had. But the fact that it would start with the choke on kinda made me steer away from that. It was very foggy out and i shouldnt have been riding it as i had to wipe my goggles off every thirty seconds. I live on the beach in new jersey and the air corrodes everything here. Maybe it was the coil connections.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #8

Yup, sounds carb related to me. Pull the tank and carb and clean everything out. Probably a piece of crud in there obstructing the flow. Off road, you are on and off the gas and probably it was flowing enough, but at a consistant 50 mph, you're running a lot of fuel through it. Also check for a kink in the fuel line. Relax, it's not anything major. These bikes require tinkering for the first few hundred miles. I worked on my Roketa more then I rode it for the first few hundred miles. I now have 2000 miles on it and do nothing but change the oil and run it.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #9

While you're working with the fuel system and carb, grab a cheap "see-thru" fuel filter to put in line beteen the petcock and your carb so you can worry less about junk in the fuel or carb in the future.

Even if it isn't the problem now....they are a really cheap way to help prevent trouble down the road....but I would agree with what's been said, it sounds like a fuel issue.

Is it possible it was running rich and eventually overloaded the carb? It almost sounds like it was flooded for a bit....but maybe not. My experience is limited, so I could be way off base. 8O

Good luck getting it sorted.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #10

Sicky overhead cam

Back in the 70's my Honda SL100 would do that occasionally due to the overhead cam locking. Just toolin around in the sand pits i wouldn't have a problem, but during a more extended high speed romp, the problem would appear. :x

In my case there was some small debris (paper towel bits) that kept blocking the tiny oil passages to the cam. You might want to give the engine a good flush out with a quart of clean oil. I would put her in gear and back up to rotate the motor backward backflushing the passages and dump the oil hoping the debris would clear out.

How's the screen been looking?

It's recommended that OHC bikes use only the finest grade motorcycle oil and change the oil more often to avoid this problem.

If the head's bearing surface is badly scared, the head may need replacement. If the problem continues, i'd pull the cam and check it for damage.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #11

Make sure you gas cap is venting too.

Try removing the cap if it stalls and then see if it runs better without it.

Allen

Old 04-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #12

I'm gonna side with katoranger but all advice has ben good.

Try this:
Get a clean GLASS jar that you can store or throw away after using.
shut the fuel petcock off

then pull the fuel line from the carb

place the GLASS jar under the fuel line to catch the fuel so you can monitor the fuel flow and reuse the fuel

open the fuel petcock and let the fuel run for a couple of minutes it should flow consistantly and not slow down at all

if it slows down remove the fuel cap if it then speeds up the fuel cap vent is most diffinitely clogged

if it slows down and the still runs slow after removing the fuel cap then there is a blockage in the fuel petcock prescreen filters

I'd also have to reccomend upgrading to real fuel line and an inline fuel filter

if you have a good supply of fuel to the carb then there could be a problem in the carb
if the fuel system checks out then start looking at the electrical (YUCK)

Old 04-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #13

spark plug is where I would start.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
I'm gonna side with katoranger but all advice has ben good.
I hope it is just a fuel system issue, too!

It's the part about the engine locking briefly that makes me worried about the cam going dry. :wink:

Old 04-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #15

did it actually lock up though or were you in too low of a gear for the speed you were traveling when it quit? if it locked up, the rear wheel would have slid, until you came to a stop.