Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #1

New to Zongshen from Tennessee

I recently traded for a Zongshen 200 enduro. The bike has a decal on the exhaust that reads XZXM and a decal on the side that reads "Extreme 200 off road". I have not been able to find anything on google about this bike. Does anyone know what year and model this may be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00101_ipEJeXOr1fu_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg (125.9 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_8820.jpg (157 Bytes, 975 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_8821.jpg (157 Bytes, 893 views)

Old 09-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #2

I'm guessing its a Zongshen but the motor reads "Max Motor"

Old 09-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #3

Spud has a Zong 200. He should be able to help.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #4

Well, looks like the good old LZX/ZS200 GY-2, aka as "Zongshen Sierra" in the states. Oldest models I know of are 2005-2006, mine is a 2007, and there are new unused examples sold in Greece from 2012 or so. Yours looks like a later model year, judging by the exhaust, unless it's an aftermarket one. Later model years have a very similar one to yours, but the branding is different. Mine has the older type with a smaller port and a bolted-on heat shield.

Yours looks pretty stock except for the golden chain (is it a sealed o-ring type?). The stickers (or lack of them) exhibit quite some variation between markets and model years.

Welcome aboard, Zongshen brother, BTW

Edit: by looking at it better, it seems like it's missing all indicator lights, no rear-view mirrors, no license plate, and no rear cargo rack. May it has been modified for use as a pure Enduro/MX?

Old 09-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the insight CR,

You are correct it is missing several enduro parts as I assume someone just was wanting it to be for offroad only.

It ran when I first picked it up but now I cant get a spark at all. I rode it for about 1000 feet and it bogged down and stalled and I had to push it home.

I hope I didnt come across a lemon here as for it is a nice looking bike and would work well on the trails here in TN.

As for the sealed O ring type. Im not really sure.

Thanks again pal.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #6

Check ignition grounds, and try a fresh plug.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickus View Post
Thanks for the insight CR,

You are correct it is missing several enduro parts as I assume someone just was wanting it to be for offroad only.

It ran when I first picked it up but now I cant get a spark at all. I rode it for about 1000 feet and it bogged down and stalled and I had to push it home.

I hope I didnt come across a lemon here as for it is a nice looking bike and would work well on the trails here in TN.

As for the sealed O ring type. Im not really sure.

Thanks again pal.
Engine-wise; the engine in the older Zongshen model such as yours is a clone of the Yamaha TW200 if I am not mistaken. Member Spudrider here and on several forums was the de facto expert on these Zongshen dual-sports, athough yours might have been imported by a particular distributor sans all the dual-sport equipment. However, it looks closest enough to being like the dual-sport model, so I am guessing the engine would be the Yamaha-based version vs. what most members here have, the Honda-like engines (aka and nicknamed 'Hondoid' because of how there is no set engine the engines are cloned from, but they are similar and will accept parts from some Honda engines). You might be able to find information from old threads about the bikes (search under 'Spudrider' or 'Zongshen 200') here, or possible on Yamaha threads.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #8

An easy fix/cheap insurance for spark & ignition related problems is to have a spare CDI. Mine was still going strong on with the OEM one, but I ordered a new spare one from AliExpress and swapped it out just in case:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1923...27424c4dPlkxiK

Just make sure you're ordering the AC-CDI unit. It wouldn't hurt to remove the saddle and the right side panel (where the CDI and -normally- the blinker relay is) and inspect the wiring, rectifier and battery, just in case. Also, remove the front cowl and inspect the wiring terminals there too, as the waterproofing in that spot is, let's say, less than stellar. There should also be a large diode housed in the front cowl. Without that, starting up using the e-starter might induce negative voltage spikes, very bad for electronics.

Other things to watch out for, is the front brake hose: depending on how it was routed on the left fork leg (esp. if inside the protective leg's "boot"), it might have been rubbing against the fork in several places. Also, mine was cracked due to age in several parts, so I swapped it out just in case (actually I had to swap the entire front brake assy because local mechanics insisted that I could not just swap out the hose, but that's another story )

Old 09-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #9

Great bike. I wish I could find one. Hard to come by but a truly awesome bike.

Just read Spuds sticky's. There is a ton of info on these bikes.
Nice find!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 10-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Engine-wise; the engine in the older Zongshen model such as yours is a clone of the Yamaha TW200 if I am not mistaken. Member Spudrider here and on several forums was the de facto expert on these Zongshen dual-sports, athough yours might have been imported by a particular distributor sans all the dual-sport equipment. However, it looks closest enough to being like the dual-sport model, so I am guessing the engine would be the Yamaha-based version vs. what most members here have, the Honda-like engines (aka and nicknamed 'Hondoid' because of how there is no set engine the engines are cloned from, but they are similar and will accept parts from some Honda engines). You might be able to find information from old threads about the bikes (search under 'Spudrider' or 'Zongshen 200') here, or possible on Yamaha threads.
I downloaded the LZSX manual that spudrider has posted in a sticky. Mine does seem to match up with the manual so I'm thinking Yamaha TW200 clone as well. Im guessing these are pretty good bikes from what I'm reading on the forum. I will definitely be checking the CDI and ordering a couple extra if that seems to be the case. The Odometer reads 4727 so I'm sure this bike has several more miles of life to go.

Thanks for the help Everyone! Name:  thumbnail_IMG_8821.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  157 Bytes

Tags
mzxm 200 zong ?