Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

Lifan KPM200 and hills

So I am debating between a Lifan KPM200 and a Royal Enfield Himalayan. I currently have a CRF250L that is decked out for dual sport. If I go with the RE, I will need to sell the CRF. If I go with the Lifan I will keep the CRF, which is what I would prefer.
I have a 15 mile commute that I would use it for and I would like to make occasional trips to visit family a couple of hours away. I know that the KPM is small displacement, which I'm a big fan of. I've read enough to know that I should be fine on the 65 MPH two lane roads I'll be traveling. What I am hoping to find out is how it does on hills. The route to visit my folks can be pretty hilly and while I don't expect it to hold 75 going up hill, I want to know if I'm going to get squashed on hills because it can't keep up at all. The hills are mostly a mile or shorter, so if I need to wind it out a bit, I can. I'm not opposed to re-gearing but I don't want to lose a ton of top speed to gain the torque needed. Am I in a pipedream to think the little 200 could handle this? I don't want to be in danger on the road due to lack of speed, but I LOVE small displacement bikes so prefer the 200 over the 400 in the RE.
FWIW I am an experienced and cautious rider. I've had more than 20 different bikes through the years, many small displacement so I have a decent idea of what I'm getting into with this. Just want as much info as possible. Thanks!

Last edited by Coloradogoose; 02-28-2021 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Fix title

Old 02-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #2

Not because I am a fan of Lifan, and really like the look of the KPM, but I do suggest it simply because by doing so, you will keep your dual-sport bike, and have the best of both worlds. The RE is probably not a great dual-sport bike, but will be a good highway cruiser for you (which I am guessing so will the KPM). However, you could get rid of the CRF, buy the RE, and later on buy a low-cost Chinese dual-sport of most any brand.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Not because I am a fan of Lifan, and really like the look of the KPM, but I do suggest it simply because by doing so, you will keep your dual-sport bike, and have the best of both worlds. The RE is probably not a great dual-sport bike, but will be a good highway cruiser for you (which I am guessing so will the KPM). However, you could get rid of the CRF, buy the RE, and later on buy a low-cost Chinese dual-sport of most any brand.
That's a great point on the RE and a cheap DS bike later on. I've done a ton to my CRF and would hate to give it up, but a safe bike on 2 lane, 65mph highway is a necessity. My ideal would be for the Lifan to work, keep the CRF and then eventually get a Vader or Champion for a camp bike (don't tell my wife )

Old 02-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #4

The Lifan won't likely be much faster than the CRF... You're having trouble maintaining 65 with it?

Old 02-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
The Lifan won't likely be much faster than the CRF... You're having trouble maintaining 65 with it?
Great question. I should have explained that more. My CRF is geared down for dirt riding and rolls with the knobbiest DOT tires I could find. It'll hold 65 OK but it's buzzy and is pretty wound out at that speed because of how low I geared it. I'm fortunate to live a few miles of pavement away from hundreds of miles of dirt roads and singletrack. The addition of a bike is so I can avoid changing around my CRF for commuting or road trips. The Dual Sportish rides I do are either close, or I trailer to them to avoid all the pavement.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
The Lifan is probably holding on to a low to mid-70 mph on flat. If you watch the sometimes obnoxious 'Dorito and the Luchacabra' channel on YouTube there is one video of a stock, new, KPM on a freeway in So. Cal. hitting an indicated 78 which if the 5 MPH optimism holds true as it has for other Lifan bikes, the bike is hitting 72 or so MPH top speed on flat freeway.
They have one or two other KPM videos and a couple KP200 videos with a couple videos of both bikes riding around including the top speed run.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
The Lifan is probably holding on to a low to mid-70 mph on flat. If you watch the sometimes obnoxious 'Dorito and the Luchacabra' channel on YouTube there is one video of a stock, new, KPM on a freeway in So. Cal. hitting an indicated 78 which if the 5 MPH optimism holds true as it has for other Lifan bikes, the bike is hitting 72 or so MPH top speed on flat freeway.
They have one or two other KPM videos and a couple KP200 videos with a couple videos of both bikes riding around including the top speed run.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I was unaware about the 5 mph optimism so that's worth taking into consideration. It's looking like I am going to be able to swing both bikes. I'll get rid of my CRF because I don't use it for what it's built for enough to justify keeping it and I'll get the REH and the KPM200. As much as I'd like to think that I'll ride the crap out of something on dirt, the reality is that I spend more time on the road. And having a commuter to ride in addition to a dual sport bike just makes the most sense. This way I can ride the REH on longer trips and the Lifan will be great for my local area. Thanks for the feedback folks, it was a big help!

Old 03-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #8

I can confirm a 65mph top speed on my gps on my bike. 73 while drafting. 78 max. But, I'm currently 250 lbs. Also, my bike has been modified with an exhaust. The speedo shows about 5-4 mph faster than actual speed.

I drop about 5mph depending on the hill.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I was unaware about the 5 mph optimism so that's worth taking into consideration. It's looking like I am going to be able to swing both bikes. I'll get rid of my CRF because I don't use it for what it's built for enough to justify keeping it and I'll get the REH and the KPM200. As much as I'd like to think that I'll ride the crap out of something on dirt, the reality is that I spend more time on the road. And having a commuter to ride in addition to a dual sport bike just makes the most sense. This way I can ride the REH on longer trips and the Lifan will be great for my local area. Thanks for the feedback folks, it was a big help!
Cannot wait to read of your journeys on both bikes

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-30-2021, 08:26 PM   #10

The KPM will hold 60mph on the hills, I'm 200lbs and use my KPM for a 22 mile commute almost every day for a year wirh no issues.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPM200ba View Post
The KPM will hold 60mph on the hills, I'm 200lbs and use my KPM for a 22 mile commute almost every day for a year wirh no issues.
That's helpful to know. It sounds a little better than I expected, so I'll take it. Coincidentally, my KPM200 arrived today! Just have to get the time to build it and I'm all set.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
That's helpful to know. It sounds a little better than I expected, so I'll take it. Coincidentally, my KPM200 arrived today! Just have to get the time to build it and I'm all set.
Congratulations!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150