Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2021, 09:53 PM   #1

NGK iridium

What are you guys setting your plug gap at? Is there a magical number other than factory spec?

Old 04-25-2021, 12:04 AM   #2

Use factory spec.

Also, not much to be gained by spending more on an Iridium plug. The basic NGK will serve you well.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:42 AM   #3

Stick to factory specs, unless you modded the hell out of the engine.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChairman View Post
Use factory spec.

Also, not much to be gained by spending more on an Iridium plug. The basic NGK will serve you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Stick to factory specs, unless you modded the hell out of the engine.

The stock gap recommendation is stupidly small on the Hawks. It might be necessary because of the trash spark plug they come with.

I run my NGK iridium plug (pre-gapped) at .9mm, which is .036" which is a decent amount larger than the stock recommended gap and it has never missed a beat, even with no upgrades to the coil or other parts of the motor.

There is something gained by spending the extra couple of dollars on the iridium plug. Your bike won't outlast the spark plug.

The only reason I can name to not run the iridium plugs is if you wanted or needed to run a non-reistor plug, as the iridiums are only sold as resistor type due to how conductive they are. It helps prevent overheating coils with a too fast discharge.

If you want to avoid iridium plugs due to their crazy costs, I highly recommend an NGK 5829 aka DP8EA.

As far as other advantages to iridium over copper or platium.
Better charge retention
Better thermal and corrosive resistance
Lower working voltage requirement (more stable and consistent spark even if/when a coil might start losing it's ability to keep up at high RPM)

Just off the top of my head at least. Two copper NGK plugs = the cost of one iridium plug, and that iridium plug will outlast those copper plugs 4 to 1, or better.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-25-2021, 02:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

The stock gap recommendation is stupidly small on the Hawks. It might be necessary because of the trash spark plug they come with.

I run my NGK iridium plug (pre-gapped) at .9mm, which is .036" which is a decent amount larger than the stock recommended gap and it has never missed a beat, even with no upgrades to the coil or other parts of the motor.

There is something gained by spending the extra couple of dollars on the iridium plug. Your bike won't outlast the spark plug.

The only reason I can name to not run the iridium plugs is if you wanted or needed to run a non-reistor plug, as the iridiums are only sold as resistor type due to how conductive they are. It helps prevent overheating coils with a too fast discharge.

If you want to avoid iridium plugs due to their crazy costs, I highly recommend an NGK 5829 aka DP8EA.

Better charge retention
Lower working voltage requirement (more stable and consistent spark even if/when a coil might start losing it's ability to keep up at high RPM)

Just off the top of my head at least. Two copper NGK plugs = the cost of one iridium plug, and that iridium plug will outlast those copper plugs 4 to 1, or better.
I'm still on the factory plugs on my 07 Toyota Yaris at 140k. I think they are platinum, which iridium is even better. So I think you are absolutely correct on the plugs out living the bike. We run the iridium's in our shifterkarts which run 14k rpm all day also.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:43 AM   #6

Quote:

Better charge retention

Thanks Dan

I’ve seen mention of running up to a .034” gap but wanted to confirm with others with experience. I’ll try it at .034-.036 and see how it performs

Old 04-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #7

Try the plug as-gapped, right from the box. Not really thinking I needed a new plug in my DF250RTG, I installed a new, standard-type NGK just because I had one. Like the iridium plug it was slightly over-gapped per the bike's specs, but, man! Since I put it in, the bike feels super-charged.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:

Yeah but that's what i see as factory spec. At least the user manuals, from the Chinese and even Honda says .8mm to .9mm
and those manuals are made in china
Name:  Clipboard02.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  29.5 KB

What's the spec recommended for the CG in the US???

Old 04-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Yeah but that's what i see as factory spec. At least the user manuals, from the Chinese and even Honda says .8mm to .9mm
and those manuals are made in china
Attachment 24513

What's the spec recommended for the CG in the US???
Not sure about the other bikes, but I distinctly remember the manual that came with my first Hawk stating a gap of .028" I remember it distinctly because it made me laugh at the absurdity of it.

The TT250 also stated this gap on their early instructions. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16...0.html?page=70
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Not sure about the other bikes, but I distinctly remember the manual that came with my first Hawk stating a gap of .028" I remember it distinctly because it made me laugh at the absurdity of it.

The TT250 also stated this gap on their early instructions. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16...0.html?page=70
Yeah that's a bit tad smaller. I wonder why, because it seems we are using the same brand of plugs "Torch".

Old 06-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #11

Hi Dan,

I have a question that I hope you can help me with. The stock plug is a resistor type plug on a TBR7 and that the spark plug boot also contains a resistor? The claim that I read is that with the plug and spark plug boot both having a resistor that is is hard on the CDI and will make it fail early. What is your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance for your assistance!