Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #1

Taotao 110 no spark

Granddaughters Boulder B1, no spark to plug so it won’t start. Swapped spark plug and the coil from another taotao 110 didn’t help. Switched back to the way both were. No spark at the spark plug. Ordered new, coil, cdi, rectifier, plug, plug wire, no difference. Installed new ignition switch, no good still. Installed new rear brake light switch, new kill switch on handlebars, no good still. It turns over fine, just no spark. Ordered new wiring harness, no returns on them in case y’all wonder. Doesn’t look at all like my harness, some wires are not even there. Bullet connections on the new wires in places where my old ones are plug ins. So 69.00$ down the drain. Wrote them a rant about their harness as I picked through their catalog very diligently trying to make sure I ordered correctly.

Well I gave up, put it all back together, was giving it back to son-in-law with deep apologies for not being able to resolve the issue. Put all back together tie wiring all as it had been, nice and neat. At the neck of the atv I had left the remaining plastic plugs dangling. That was the last place I needed to zip tie up. Fixed two front flats, made sure all brake lights functioned still, put seat on it checking everything to make sure I’d left nothing undone. I sat on the seat after finally getting it to latch everything was back together! Reached over and turned key on, pulled choke up, hit starter and boom it fired up. I’ve had it here five to six months randomly working on it, covered up from the weather, charging the battery every 4-5 weeks to keep it up.

I had always thought it was just a short but it always seemed to have continuity through the plug-ins and bullet connections when I checked them. Everything was back together now and it ran well. I let it run a minute maybe two, no backfiring, just smooth. Put it in reverse and it tried to go backwards as it should, put it back in neutral. Everything functioning good. Wife couldn’t believe it was running and I just said to myself I really have not done anything. I firmly believe everything I have changed didn’t need it. Anyway I shut it off, finally, I put the last zip tie at the neck to secure those wires closer to the frame. Short while later after fixing the two flats I roll it around getting it back in a shadier spot, I try to crank it. Turns over fast and strong, but will not start. I pull the choke up and try again, it’s not firing again, plenty of fuel in the tank. All I’ve really done was make the last zip tie connections. Guess I’ll go back out this morning and cut that last zip tie and let the wires hang loose again and see if it starts.

I have never had the remote key chain for it but can I remove that part of the system from the system and be okay. Previously I had unplugged the remote contraption in the front of it while trying to diagnose it and it made no difference so it’s all plugged up again as it should be. Was just wondering if it could be disconnected and the atv run.

Ask me some questions, I’m not a electrician so when asking about ohms I’m lost. I just know I’m getting continuity with my multi meter. Son-in-law is a cop and knows zilch about these things. Always piddled with lawnmowers and my motorcycles and they ran. Guess I’m more of a replace the part man. The grandkids got these atv’s new in 2006 and I’ve repaired or replaced carburetors all this time for him. This Boulder B1 is the one I’m having problems with! Would like to get it back to her, with it having no problems, just aggravating.

Comments please

Old 06-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

No one has remarked at all, no one has any ideas? I have disconnected the coil now it had a green wire and a yellow with black stripe. With the key on and not hitting the starter there is zero voltage. Is this okay? When I hit the starter it shows around 3-4 volts on the yellow with black stripe wire is this correct? Can these two wires be hooked up to the incorrect side of the coil or does it make any difference?

Old 03-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #3

I'm in the same boat. I'd be curious to see what you found out or did. I've tried everything and anything. I'm still working on mine, bought a harness and the company that sold it sent me here for a diagram.