Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2021, 04:49 AM   #1

Impressed by gear oil as chain lube.

So....my chain was (on the clock) slightly overdue for a clearnup & relube job, so after a ride in the sweltering heat and arriving home to a (slighty) shaded place in the evening, I decided not to postpone it any longer, so that it could be ready for the morning after.

I have used chain sprays several times before, including an IPONE one that left a visible white residue, but last time I decided to try everyone's (?) "life hack" suggestion: gear oil.

To my surprise, after about 800 km of using some noname 80W90 mineral gear oil, the chain was surprisingly clean, while with spray-on greases some serious cleaup was always required before relubing. Not keeping-white-gloves-still-white clean, but reasonably dry to the touch, lack of visible grit etc. The rear sprocket was also reasonably clean and grit-free between the teeth, something I cannot say when using greases. Also, the rollers still spun as freely as the first day of lubing them (yeah, I use a regular roller chain :-p )

Due to the sweltering heat (36+ C ) this time I applied a spray-on chain grease again, as fresh gear oil may be too runny and I didn't want to deal with the mess/cleanup the morning after, but as as soon as the weather cools down again, it will be gear oil-only for me.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #2

I used gear oil to lube the chain up for my first ride on my TBR7. I'll probably just use the gear lube as my regular chain lube. It's been recommended by manufacturers for years so it cant be all bad. Yes it drips but I have cardboard i park it on at the house.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #3

I recall awhile back a YouTube video by Ryan FortNine comparing various chain lubes including things like WD40 and gear oil. The upshot was -- use whatever, just use it frequently.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #4

I have used gear oil, also based on the Fortnine recommendation. I found after a few hundred miles the chain was full of dirt stuck to the oil. It was a mess. I find the sprays stay cleaner in the long run, but whatever you use, do it regularly.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #5

Indeed, gear oil is the way. Just apply it with a toothbrush and the application is considerably less annoying than the various fancypants products on the market as well which for some reason always insist on coming in aerosol cans so the stuff gets everywhere.

What I still don't get is how using gear oil works out to being a "secret" these days. The owner's manual for every bike I've ever owned as well as the instructions for every chain I've ever bought explicitly specified that gear oil was the right stuff to use.

I keep a bottle of the thickest/cheapest stuff the auto parts store across the street carries on hand and it works great on all my bikes.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #6

gear lube

What works a little better is chain saw bar oil as it is thicker and does not fling off as much. But running O ring and x ring chains I much prefer the chain wax type as I think they collect a little less dirt.