Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2023, 08:49 PM   #1

Templar fork preload spacers

Has anyone done this yet? I believe my Templar is sprung for a ~150 lb rider and I weigh 250 lbs. I adjusted the rear shock preload but I think I need at least 10mm spacers in the forks.

I've seen Joe Henner's videos for KKE and SZC fork spacers but don't know which (if either) applies to the Templar. I would have opened up the forks by now but it's cold here. If no one knows yet I'll post some pics when I open my forks. TIA

Old 03-02-2023, 04:44 PM   #2

Another question gents: Has anyone changed fork oil in their Templar forks and if so, what weight oil did you use? Alternatively, does anyone know the weight of the oem fork oil? I like the damping rate in my forks but the spring is too soft. Since I may have to live with these soft springs I'd like to see how much I can improve the forks with heavier/more fork oil. Any recommendations are welcome and appreciated. TIA

Old 03-02-2023, 07:00 PM   #3

Subscribed as I too am around the same weight.
Yamaha TT-R 50

Old 03-02-2023, 10:35 PM   #4

See inside the forks here. Not sure if/where shims might go.
Links to posts in the Temp X thread with FRONT FORK service videos.

I recommend a good 15W fork oil like Motul. This will stiffen the fork, improve performance and bring the adjustable range closer to the middle of the "click" range.

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=545

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=546

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=549

Old 03-02-2023, 10:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Under the spring at the bottom seems like the best place to me. What a horrific process though. Disassemble the entire fork to add/remove preload
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-03-2023, 01:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Links to posts in the Temp X thread with FRONT FORK service videos.

I recommend a good 15W fork oil like Motul. This will stiffen the fork, improve performance and bring the adjustable range closer to the middle of the "click" range.

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=545

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=546

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=549
Thanks! Wouldn't adding thicker fork oil increase both compression and rebound damping into the high click range since a non-adjustable fork should start in the middle? Unfortunately I only need two things from these forks and damping adjustment isn't one of them. I need stiffer springs and more preload. I like the damping rates as-is.

Perhaps I should start off by adding more oil to stiffen them up a little by reducing the air volume. At least that should reduce the bottoming out and nose dive. TBH I'm just not sure about 15W and these USD forks are a PITA to change oil. I might be happier with 10W but who really knows?

Below are some links to some relevant Joe Henner fork videos. Wish I knew who makes these forks?

KKE

SZC

Old 03-03-2023, 01:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Under the spring at the bottom seems like the best place to me. What a horrific process though. Disassemble the entire fork to add/remove preload
On the bright side, spring preload should be a one time job. At least for my use it will be good enough. The old damper rod forks sure were a lot easier to work with.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #8

My front forks and rear shock are KKE on the X model. The logo is on the cap. The small shims that Joe Henner put under the retaining washer on the top seems like a great way to introduce preload. And you don't even have to remove the fork tubes.

That is a pretty simple procedure. You might want 20mm instead of 10. Buy as set of those from Joe. If they work, you are done. Or you can find a machinist to make them with 20mm length.

FYI- I have upside down forks on the Storm. I switched to Motul Expert 15W medium/heavy. The front end stopped bottoming out. I like the stiffer forks too.

Changing the oil isn't bad. You do need to remove them, but just pour it out and refill. If you do all of that, then placing shims under the spring (as Dan suggests) wouldn't be much more work.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
My front forks and rear shock are KKE on the X model. The logo is on the cap. The small shims that Joe Henner put under the retaining washer on the top seems like a great way to introduce preload. And you don't even have to remove the fork tubes.

That is a pretty simple procedure. You might want 20mm instead of 10. Buy as set of those from Joe. If they work, you are done. Or you can find a machinist to make them with 20mm length.

FYI- I have upside down forks on the Storm. I switched to Motul Expert 15W medium/heavy. The front end stopped bottoming out. I like the stiffer forks too.

Changing the oil isn't bad. You do need to remove them, but just pour it out and refill. If you do all of that, then placing shims under the spring (as Dan suggests) wouldn't be much more work.
I finally reached Joe Henner. I had to open a Facebook account to reach him (something I really didn't want to do) but he responded to my question about the KKE preload spacers. He said they should not be stacked and that he will get back to me tomorrow about purchasing them.

I also ordered a liter of Motul 15w fork oil. I double-checked my forks for identification and sure enough, right there on the caps, plain as day, "KKE". I know I've seen that before! Another senior moment... now what were we talking about?

Old 03-05-2023, 08:01 PM   #10

I heard back from Joe Henner and ordered my preload spacers today for $30. I'll try to take pics of the installation and a review.

I also added 10ml of power steering fluid to each fork today (PSF was the only hydraulic fluid I had laying around). I'm going to add 10ml at a time until I find the level I like and then replace it with the same volume of 15w oil.

Old 04-03-2023, 11:59 PM   #11

Busy lately but I got the spacers from Joe Henner. Hopefully I'll get them installed soon along with 15W Motul.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230403_233619243.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	28950

Old 04-11-2023, 08:20 PM   #12

I finally got the spacers and 15W fork oil installed and Wow! Night and day difference! Reducing the front sag has made a noticeable improvement in steering & stability and greatly reduced nose dive. I haven't ridden it enough to comment on the fork oil because I've been sick but my initial impression is positive.

I should have taken some photos but I forgot. It's pretty self explanatory once you get the fork caps off. Joe Henner told me there is even a video on Youtube but I couldn't find it.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
I finally got the spacers and 15W fork oil installed and Wow! Night and day difference! Reducing the front sag has made a noticeable improvement in steering & stability and greatly reduced nose dive. I haven't ridden it enough to comment on the fork oil because I've been sick but my initial impression is positive.

I should have taken some photos but I forgot. It's pretty self explanatory once you get the fork caps off. Joe Henner told me there is even a video on Youtube but I couldn't find it.
After you drained it how much oil did you put back in to each shock? This is my next project. I'm going to try 15w oil only and see how it goes. I put about 70 miles on the bike so far. It I'm light (150 lbs) but have bottomed the shock a few times.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by btr22 View Post
After you drained it how much oil did you put back in to each shock? This is my next project. I'm going to try 15w oil only and see how it goes. I put about 70 miles on the bike so far. It I'm light (150 lbs) but have bottomed the shock a few times.
Without knowing the manufacturer's recommended fill amount all we can do is to assume that the factory fill was correct. Carefully measure how much you remove from each leg and refill with the same quantity. I removed 300 ml from each leg and replaced 300 ml.

I think you'll like the change with 15w oil. If you still need more preload you can add Henner's slotted spacers without removing the forks. Just remove handlebars and fork caps. GL and post back with your results or any questions.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:01 PM   #15

I changed my fork oil to 15w. Procedure was very simple. I measured 260 ml in each fork but that was with a kitchen measuring cup. I put back in a tad more. I think there is more stiffness but it’s not night and day. The rebound still seems violent. If the wheel gets in the air the shocks extend back down with a bang. That may be normal for a dirt bike but I have nothing to compare to. This is my first dirt bike. I ride on and off road with 15lbs of air front and back. Is there anyway to slow down the rebound??