Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #1

I want the super moto look!

I am interested on rethreading my front rim to the same size as the rear rim "18" to give it that super moto look.

My thoughts so far was using another rear rim from a china bike that has 36 spokes.

the area I am running into problems is how do I get the correct size spokes for the job to come togather proper.??? would be really simple if the hubs where the same diameter... But they are not :?

Thanks for looking.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #2

On a somewhat unrelated note, you will likely throw your speedometer way off, are you worried about that at all? Sorry I can't answer your original question.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #3

Re: I want the super moto look!

You might get lucky and find standard length spokes, mos likely you'll have to take you old hub and new rim and have spokes cut... it's not too expensive and any bike shop worth their salt should be able to do it.
As for the speedo... there are always alternatives... bicycle computers or Trailtech computers.

It will throw your rake and trail off in that it will quicken the steering, maybe to the point of making the bike unstable in a straight line (but it might wind up being perfect... never know!). If you could lower the rear to correct if the steering is too bad.
But you might as well look into scoring a couple of 17" rims (KLR 650 rear?) and just do the front and rear in a size with a good selection of tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo
I am interested on rethreading my front rim to the same size as the rear rim "18" to give it that super moto look.

My thoughts so far was using another rear rim from a china bike that has 36 spokes.

the area I am running into problems is how do I get the correct size spokes for the job to come togather proper.??? would be really simple if the hubs where the same diameter... But they are not :?

Thanks for looking.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #4

very true, on the speedo, and the bike shop that is worth their salt.

the speedo should would be about 13% faster. "58 mph when the speedo is @ 50mph"

I stepped into a newish bike shop in town today just too see what was to be seen. Told the guy I had never been there before and was just checking things out. The guy ask me what I was riding and I told him. all of a sudden the customer service he was offering went to hell. Of course I did not realize it right away and literally ask him if he could rethread my front hub to an 18 inch rim.

All of a sudden here it came, blagh blagh china bikes have no cross reference materials for this stuff. people inquire about parts on these bikes and I do the searching and they stiff me.....

Needless to say I will not be back to that shop regardless of what kind of bike I ride.

P.S, If anyone in manhattan KS reads this, you can use brooks yamaha for your plugs oil and such. there is no other dealers worth "their salt" in this town

Okay fellas I am off my soap box 8) Back to finding a set of spokes for lucys new look.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #5

Look at this. http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-CB200-CL20...QQcmdZViewItem

You may be able to find a front wheel from a Honda CB200 or similar and use it. My 75 cb200 had a disc brake so it might be a direct swap.

Allen

Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #6

Just had another though about this. To see how your bike would handle with an 18"/18" combo, try lowering the triple clamps by an inch and a half. Assuming a current front wheel of 21", it should give you an idea of how the rake will be affected by the smaller wheel.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #7

Hey knothead,

Good idea, I can only drop it maby 1" because the front forks have been tapered between the upper and lower triple clamps. But I will see how much a difference an inch makes..."insert falice joke here"

Old 07-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #8

Don't mess about. Get a Qingqi QM200GY-BA or its QLINK equivalent!...it is already a really cool, sexy, well-made and reliable supemoto.

Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Look at this. http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-CB200-CL20...QQcmdZViewItem

You may be able to find a front wheel from a Honda CB200 or similar and use it. My 75 cb200 had a disc brake so it might be a direct swap.

Allen
The 1973 cb350 has the 18" front / with disk break, you could use it's speedo as well. The thing to check would be the width of the wheel, from bearing to bearing. You might have to make your own spacers. I don't think the disk will work with your calipers and pads. The disk on the 73 cb is kinda tiny.

forchetto I doooooo like those bikes.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #10

thanks guys you have given me some things to coinsider.

Q Links are a awsome bike, and have a very awsome price but that is 900 dollars more than this klr 650 that is up for sale that is set up for SM. on my local craigs list. "that I can't afford"

Another fleeting thought I had was possiably bolting up a set of street forks to my triple clamp. that way I would only have to worry about the proper spacing. better suspension better brakes wheel that is already threaded, speedo that is made for the wheel.

Or I could find the triple clamp down..... spacing problem solved. but how in the world do I research triple clamp specs nearly no one in the motoworld really cares about except me :? I really think this would be the best bet and the easiest fit. now to figure out what kind of triple clamp will fit my frame.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #11

You must went into MCS. It's been a great shop for years under the original owner - not so anymore.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
You must went into MCS. It's been a great shop for years under the original owner - not so anymore.
If you are reffering to the shop next to film at eleven, don't remember its name, no longer that inportant.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #13

You should consider the Qlink or Qingqi (if they ever become more commonly available here) motard, or get in touch with member 'Rizn' as he has been wanting standard 21/18 rims and wheels for his Qlink motard, and might be willing to trade.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #14

Yeah

Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #15

well the super moto look has been acomplished. :twisted: you may lay this thread to rest