Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #1

New owners BEWARE!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Got a lifan from hooper imports via Truck shipment, put it together via all the forum info - still vibrates a whole bunch but is getting better. (My licence plate bolt holes almost split in two from the vibration.
Anyway, I was doing my best to keep everything tight - and I noticed some new sounds in the front - I thought it was maybe the speedo or something. I was going down the road and luckily not too fast when one of the brake caliper bolts backed into the front spoke, causing the front wheel to lock up and to pitch me off on a major road with a lot of traffic. Luckily I was'nt hurt too bad and was able to ride outta there with a little tightening of that bolt. Warning to all, check the front brake caliper bolts. It could be a disaster if they back out.
BTW, anyone have a source for new spokes? I'm gonna need 2 of em.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #2

Apparently, you did not read the Official DS Prep Thread. Brake caliper bolt is on there. I bled the brake fluid and used locktite on the caliper bolts. In my opinion, the brake is the most important system and deserves a lot of attention and TLC.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #3

Give Larry a call. I'm sure he'll do what he can to help you out.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Apparently, you did not read the Official DS Prep Thread. Brake caliper bolt is on there. I bled the brake fluid and used locktite on the caliper bolts. In my opinion, the brake is the most important system and deserves a lot of attention and TLC.
Cut the fellow some slack. He just busted his a$$ on his new scoot. Yeah, he should have loc-tited the bolts but there's no reason to make a guy feel bad about an oversight. Plus, he's taking the time to warn other guys that it could happen to them.

Miki,
Bruce at EJ cycles can help with the spokes. He'll probably ask for you to take a picture of the hub or describe the bike you have.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #5

Not the first person to learn a hard lesson, We have all done it.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #6

Man, I'm really glad you weren't hurt too bad. Thanks for the warning and tip; I'm gonna check my brake calipers ASAP.
I hope you won't let this shaky start (no pun intended) sour you on riding these bikes. They really are a lot of fun. Take care!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #7

man that sucks. Dont let your bike get the best of ya. I ride the 07 GY-5 and other than my own stupidity I have had no problems. You get the bugs sorted out of these machines and they are really a good little machine.

As for the spokes, make sure and check the rim to be sure the holes are not jacked up.

If you have any problems sourcing the spokes, these guys might be able to help you out. they will probably ask you to send them a spoke. .

http://www.buchananspokes.com/product.htm

Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #8

Man thats a danger......I would take the whole front wheel and caliper off the bike and beat it senseless with a sledge hammer......would be well worth it......then I would watch it all burn.thanks for the tip...not too sure but I had a loose screw on my front caliper which I just tightened....I was lucky enough to spot it because my front braking turned to crap.got better after the screw in.Im sure it will come loose again soon.....Im gonna go beat my bike until the turn signals start flashing again1 8)

Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theENIGMATIC
Man thats a danger......I would take the whole front wheel and caliper off the bike and beat it senseless with a sledge hammer......would be well worth it......then I would watch it all burn.thanks for the tip...not too sure but I had a loose screw on my front caliper which I just tightened....I was lucky enough to spot it because my front braking turned to crap.got better after the screw in.Im sure it will come loose again soon.....Im gonna go beat my bike until the turn signals start flashing again1 8)
HMMMMM sounds like there is more than one loose nut on this machine

Get some grade 8 bolts for where the calipers attach to the fork. I pulled mine after 450 miles and it cork screwed out of the hole :!:

Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #10

THanks for the tip. I forgot to do those...on my way now to do them.

I am happy to hear that you are OK.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #11

Thanks for the encouragement from everyone. I'll try those links you gave me. Even though I'm a newbie to china bikes I've had quite a few in the past, including an XT200 which I'm comparing this one to. I guess I thought that since the bike was in new condition it would have a lot less mechanical concerns than getting a used bike would - Is it worth the money I paid? I guess so.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #12

I just looked at my caliper; and I see no way for the bolt to back into the spokes. The bolts are pointing away from the spokes.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #13

pic of brake caliper

here's the pic of MY bike for all you naysayers,
and BTW, I read the DS bike prep thread and did tighten everything I installed on the bike -including loctiting the bolts that attached caliper to front shock
These bolts came attached from the factory - it was my oversight. After my accident I was considering to loctite them but they have some sort of whitish grease on them - I think it's anti-seize. So I'm afraid to loctite them

heres the pic http://picasaweb.google.com/sgudermuth/Skygo

Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #14

Hey! Great tip! I just went out and checked mine and sure enough both of them were a little loose. Thank you for the info.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
Which version did you get?GY-2 or GY-5.The GY-2's had an issue with vibration at full throttle for extended times.If you got the GY-2 you may want to reinforce the frame by adding a new piece at the front of the motor.another member on here(porterzcustomz) did that and said it reduced the vibration.Double check and loctite every bolt you can.Welcome and good luck.