Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #1

Riding boots

Looking to buy some boots. Not sure that the MX boot is what I want or not. I dont ride MX but do want some protection. Maybe there is some comprimise? Something that would be OK to wear and walk around in when I get to my destination. If anyone has sugestion I would like to look into it further.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #2

steel toed boots-army surplus store

Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #3

unless you plan on heavy trail riding and a lot of agressive riding regular shoes are fine. I preffer my old worn vibram soled merrills

mx boots are not just a steel toe, they protect your whole lower leg from getting bashed and smashed, if you are an agressive off road rider, there is really no substitute for this.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
I have a pair of O'Neal Elements. Not the best boots out there, but better than a pair of tennies. I've been using then for 2 seasons now.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #5

I wear my Timberland downshifter boots everywhere, very comfortable with awesome grip and good ankle support!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TIMBERLAND-DOWNSH...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #6

Check with MotorcycleSuperstore.com for the Icon Standard boot. I think it's still only about $40. Nice solid boot that offers protection and comfort.

I'm quite happy with mine.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 08-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinariderinthesky
steel toed boots-army surplus store
At my motorcycle course, I was told NO STEEL TOED BOOTS. You forfeit the cost of the course and go home if you show up with them. They said, they make it too hard to toe the shifter.

I use non-steel toed wook boots. (They stepped on my toes softly to make sure) The boots were cheap and I don't get stares when I'm off the bike.

I was told the main reason to wear boots for street riding was to keep your ankles attached if you go for a rolling spill. Like theENIGMATIC said, "good ankle support!" Boots are important. Please don't wear shoes, but naturally the choice is yours.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #8

yeah.sometimes I have to put a foot down at higher speeds accidently 5 10 mph...boots absorb alot of tension in the foot and leg area...I could amagine going 50 or 60 and my footpeg falling off and my foot hitting flush on the road in running shoes.my leg would probably rip off at the knee.ouch :(

Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #9

I saw someone on a smaller street bike pass me yesterday. He had some Hiway-like pegs up front and his legs hanging over the front of them. His fet were maybe 4 or 5 inches off the ground. He made an exagerated lane change and I cringed when one of his feet almost touched the road.

I had my own experience with a lack of boots when I was 16 and dont want to go there again. Liking the Timberlands and The O'Neil boot.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #10

That's a good story cal, I cringed just reading it. 8O

Most chase video's I've seen either with the cops' dash mount camara or the one from a helicopter view, the guy on the bike wipes out and his tennis shoes go flying off his feet.

I've worn running shoes to get to the top of my street for ciggies, it's 40kmh.(25mph) All I know is that I'd be going faster on a ten speed bike Even then I'm wearing my Joe rocket jacket and gloves. I won't go 30mph without boots and sunglasses.

Besides keeping your feet attached to your ankles, you might look for a boot that has a good tread with a decent grip. :wink:

Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #11

Steel-Toed Doc Marten ankle boots. Like the cops used to wear, before the baseball hats and Reboks of now. As I wear size 13s, I've had no problems with the shifting, I can see how it would be a problem with a smaller boot size though...

I have to add though *Get Good Gloves!* Personally, I like Deer-leather myself, it's stretchy and breathable, and I've tumbled a couple of times in them. Being a mechanic, without working grippers, I'm 100% useless, so I try to protect them. None of this fingerless crap either, what good am I with stumps for fingers?

--Vince

Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #12

I wore steel-toed boots for years and never had a problem shifting because of them.

I prefer them over soft toes any day of the week.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #13

I recently got some MX boots (in a whole package deal). Very uncomfortable - couldn't stand them. Tried them a few weekends ago and now I REALLY like them. Wish I would of had some a few years ago; maybe I wouldn't have titanium in my legs.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #14

No steel toes boots!!

It's not shifting that's an issue. The steel toe cap can be forced back far enough in a wreck to cut your toes off! That's why they are a no-no on a bike. Use MC specific boots. If you ride off road, go with the motocross or ATV boots with good shin/calf protection. If you ride street only look for boots with armor plating over the ankle bone (might save it from getting ground off!).
I ride with Thor 50/50's, but I really wish I had went with a taller, better armored boot now.

Just stay away from steel toed work boots!

Cops don't wear the best gear, so don't look to them as an example. Their gear is biases towards both rider comfort and accesability, not safety.

Did I mention steel toes are BAAAD?

EDIT:

Shoes with exposed laces are bad too. In a wreck the laces can abrade or break allowing the shoe to come off... think about bare naked feet hitting the pavement at 50mph....
And laces can get caught on the bike or tangled in the shifter,brake or foot pegs. I've seen people fall over because they couldn't put their foot down when they stopped. Laces are OK if they are covered, but velcro, buckles or even zippers are better.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #15

Yes "Laces" Good call knothead!

Almost got me once. If your boots have laces you really might want to tuck them in. I do. Everytime.

My next set of boots will not have exposed laces. :wink: