Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #1

Rear Tyres, or should that be Tires ;-)

What are you higher mileage guys using for rear tyres? My current tyre, a Conti Escape, won't see much over 4k miles. The OE knobbly wore out in 2k miles, it's replacement a Metzeler Enduro 1 lasted a respectable 6.5k miles but the flat tread wasn't happy at large lean angles. I ride mostly on the road, virtually all year round. Both the Metzeler and Conti were very good in the wet, the Conti was like chewing gum around the bends.

Jonathan.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 AM   #2

I had 3500 on my kingstone tires and they looked new still... Problem was they were crap to start with...

I just put avon road riders on mine, so I cant comment on the mileage, but they were reasonably priced...

How many miles do you have?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #3

I've gotten over 11k miles on the Barracudas from JC Whitney
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #4

IMO, handling and performance are far more important factors that longevity.

The better you can handle your ride, the safer you are, and just having something that lasts a long time and doesn't handle well means that it is putting you (and others) at increased risk for a longer time as well as cutting down on your riding enjoyment.

It would indeed be a serendipity to find a tyre/tire that embodied the best of both worlds . . .

Performance = safety = enjoyment . . .

Luke, 11: 21

Old 10-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #5

I agree with you completely WinWun, that's why I have Avon's now... The reason the stock kingstones lasted so long was they were super hard, they didn't wear out, but they also didn't stick to the road.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #6

If you want a dualsport tire and not a 100% street tire the Duro Median has held up well for me and the price is right.

I have 5000 miles on the rear and it still has some tread left. The handling is good and wet roads is good too.

I say 6K will be about the lifespan. I have heard of others getting more, but I have ridden it pretty hard.

Problem is finding someplace that has them.

I ordered from www.americanmototire.com before they ran out.

Allen

Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwun
IMO, handling and performance are far more important factors that longevity.

The better you can handle your ride, the safer you are, and just having something that lasts a long time and doesn't handle well means that it is putting you (and others) at increased risk for a longer time as well as cutting down on your riding enjoyment.

It would indeed be a serendipity to find a tyre/tire that embodied the best of both worlds . . .

Performance = safety = enjoyment . . .
What tires are you referring to? I know this was not directed at my comment, but even tires for touring bikes will not drastically compromise safety for longevity. Do you believe any tire company would be so unwise as to make such a tire? Choose the right tire for your application may be a better way to say what I think you meant. FWIW, the 11k+ mile tires still handle and "perform" very well on mine. We are talking about a 200cc dirtbike after all.

Jason

Old 10-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #8

I know with hard braking my kingstones, and even my CST tires would lock up and slide, especially in the rain, my Avon's I hit the brakes as hard as I could (not going too fast though), in the pouring rain to test them out and they worked perfect.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #9

Jason, I was expressing a concept, not an endorsement of any particular product.

I was saying a decision should NOT be made on any aspect such as longevity, price, etc, because these same qualities may well NOT translate into a good handling, therefore safer, tire.

How you are able to ride, is FAR more important than how long a tire lasts or how much it costs, and if your tire gives you smoother, easier handling, this automatically translates into a safer ride.

If you have something that lasts for a long time and handles like a truck, you are going to hurt yourself and someone else, too, and it's not going to take long to do it.

The facts are, if your tire handles well, chances are it isn't going to last as long as one that doesn't, because you will be able to push the tire (safely) to limits that you would not do with a tire that didn't handle well at all.

Having a bike that you can "ride like you stole it" is going to eat up rubber far faster than one you are hoping will get you home without coming to grief.

Luke, 11: 21

Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info guys, I've sort of decided between Avon and Bridgestone road tyres, both make a 21 inch front for the Harley riders. I'll hunt out a spare pair of wheels to put some knoblies on for my odd off-road jaunt.

Jonathan.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #11

Kenda 4.50 rear tire

Just ordered a Kenda K760 knobbie for the rear. Only got 6k km on the OEM and it's nearly bald.

Getting a DOT 110/100/18 instead of the 18/4.10 for a little more rolling distance and more rubber on the pavement.

Hope it fits in the swingarm!!! :oops:

Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwun
I was saying a decision should NOT be made on any aspect such as longevity, price, etc, because these same qualities may well NOT translate into a good handling, therefore safer, tire.
Why not make decisions based on these aspects? It would seem that the majority of the riders here have given every one of these aspects pretty good consideration when making the decision to purchase their chinabikes instead of a Big 4 bike. To some degree I feel you're overly concerned about negligible differences. I believe we have a smart group here that has learned to weigh their options for pros and cons. As I said before, its really a matter of choosing the right tire for your application. If one would like to get relatively high miles and predictable handling from a good "cheap" tire then I would still recommend the Barracudas. If you want about the same miles and maybe better handling characteristics for double the $ then go for it. To each his own.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #13

Just to anger the crap out of everyone, I'm going to jump in and play devil's advocate for a minute or two...

Let take Price completely out of the equation for just a second here...

**The following in based on personal experience/taste, *Not* any measurable data, and should be considered as such...***

Super-Sticky is not always the best option, Consider:

--Usually the Metzler77's and Dunlop Elite4's I was running previously would hang onto the road like a baracuda, until you pushed the too far, then they'd let go, with very little warning. The less sticky Bridgestones, and now Shinko's usually give lots of warning, that you can feel, hear and taste...

--Softer, stickier rubbers are more susceptable to gravel and rock damage, making gravel riding an expensive adventure.

--Longevity is directly affected by the softness of the rubber compund. Especially around here, with really long, straight boring roads Most of my tires have been replaced from having a 1.5" "Chicken strip" down the centre. Stickiness doesn't matter much when riding in a straight line...

--Powerslides impress the Harley guys. High-siding does not. (although usually they help me pick up my bike afterwards.) (While telling me to get a RealBike tm)

Anyfreakinways, what I'm trying to get at is tires are like shoes. It's not just applicational, but very personal as well. The sad part is, like shoes, once you've put them on once, you can't return them if they suck.

And anyone who's ever ridden on Russian Tires would never complain about Chinese tires...

Personally, I like DocMarten steel toed Ankle boots. Others on the board have expressed dislike for aforementioned product. It's applicational *and* personal. (That and they're just wrong.)

--Vince

Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy250
If one would like to get relatively high miles and predictable handling from a good "cheap" tire then I would still recommend the Barracudas. If you want about the same miles and maybe better handling characteristics for double the $ then go for it. To each his own.
I wasn't wanting to put down the barracudas, I ordered some, but the order was canceled because they were out of stock... I ordered the Avon's, they weren't much more money...

My stock Kingstone and CST (dual sport, not barracuda), were not that great in the rain, or in hard braking, though the CST was definitely better... I put 3500 km's on the kingstones on my gy5 and they still looked new, they were super easy to lock up as well, but it was only almost an issue...

elroyjetsn, I personally think that will be too wide, but your bike isn't the same as mine, and I guess you'll let us know soon... You may need to modify the chain guard...

EDIT, Vince, great post I don't think CST is actually Chinese, I forget though, Taiwan maybe... For my purpose these avons should work great, maybe 20 mile commuting, lots of hills curves, etc, all pavement... Lots of rain. :?

Old 10-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake

Anyfreakinways, what I'm trying to get at is tires are like shoes. It's not just applicational, but very personal as well. The sad part is, like shoes, once you've put them on once, you can't return them if they suck.

And anyone who's ever ridden on Russian Tires would never complain about Chinese tires...

Personally, I like DocMarten steel toed Ankle boots. Others on the board have expressed dislike for aforementioned product. It's applicational *and* personal. (That and they're just wrong.)

--Vince
I was going to mention that :idea:

From Sept 17 to alonzo:

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:35 pm Post subject:

"I know that buying tires is like buying shoes...the best pair for one man, is not perfect for the other, even though their feet are identical! So I should do my research while I still have some good tread left on the wobbly-knobblys"

I did noticed the big difference between radial, and bias ply tires when radials gained popularity. The radials hug the road better, but do not give the seat-of-the-pants warning that bias does...with the radials, your only warning is the "sphincter factor" 8O

BTW, the way I go through boots, I should upgrade to STEEL SOLE! LOL

Ride safely,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.