Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #1

Holly shit, this one scared me pretty good

Ok, so I am riding my Lifan last night and I am getting on a 55Mph stretch that goes over this hill. I give it a bunch of gas and start upshifting, get to 5th gear, let go off the gas and the throttle doesnt come back. The ***** thing is stuck in WOP 5th gear and pulling me into the redline. I got cars all around, trying to dodge them on the short notice and jiggle the cable. The thing does not let go, make things worse I make it to the top of this hill and now its starting to pull me down and speed up way faster. I wasnt sure what would happen if I just killed the motor (didnt want it to seize on me), cant put it into neutral cause it would overrev and prolly blow the thing so I hit both brakes as much as I could and pretty much forced the motor to bog down, really glad the brakes were stronger then the engine. My disc brake was almost glowing when I stopped. I took the carb off with my toolkit, the cylinder where the carb needle sits got stuck somehow, not even sure on what really. As soon as I took off the cover it popped out and worked fine since. Heads up to everyone, I am pretty sure all Lifans have the same basic carb. Does anyone know what would happen if I had killed the engine at 75Mph WOP on the OHC engine, might be a good thing to know for future reference...

Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #2

Hitting the engine kill swich is fine at wide open throtle. It cuts the circut to the sparkplug. But the oil is still circulating so the enigine as not likely to sieze. The bike will then ride just like you ran out of gass. The exhaust will smell like it is running rich because a little fuel will be sent through the system but with no spark it will not have ignited.

The kill swich is next to your thumb for just such an emergancy. They don't want you to have to take your hand off of the controls to kill it via the key.

Glad you are safe! and that you seem to have found the problem.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
It would of been fine to hit the kill switch. the bike would just rolled to a stop. you were geared to high in 5th to lock up the wheel. and the motor would be OK. Yes I have done it.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #4

I would think that holding the clutch in would help out if you hit the kill switch, and you would just roll to a stop, or brake to a stop.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #5

I tried to explain this kind of scenario to my Dad when he had a little episode of not being able to start the bike because the kill switch had been on. He was so frustrated he said he was gonna just take that "stupid thing and bypass it". After I explained what could happen, he decided it would be better to just it leave alone and remember to check it the next time the bike wouldn't start.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 02-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #6

Yes the clutch thing works and lets roll to a smooth stop.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
if only they had this option on the mitsubishi starion, that was my first car...

the wastegate on the turbo stuck shut and it just dieseled into boost until i had to push the clutch to blow it up... yea.. sad day

did you figure out why the carb needle got stuck?

sounds strange for sure.. has anyone else had their carb needle act funny even just tinkering with it?

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #8

the only thing i can think of would be the needle retainer was not seated all the way down, leting the needle move up enuff to come out of the jet.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuave13
if only they had this option on the mitsubishi starion
You'd push the clutch, shift to neutral and shut the car off -- then you lose any power options, but you'll still be able to get off the road and stop.

Shame you blew the motor.

On the bike - yes, as was stated you can do the same thing... but sometimes it's risky to catch neutral at those speeds so best to just keep the clutch in and coast to a stop once the engines dead.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #10

I didnt like the look of the no-name carb that came with my Lifan 163FML2 engine.

I installed the OE Honda carb.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Wow Vlad, scary situation. I have had cables stick before causing similar situations. Kill the motor is the best option. Just don't panic(easier said then done.)

Old 02-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #12

My throttle was stuck WOT after I got it stuck in the (fateful) sand. I actually rode it like that for about 5 miles, using the clutch and brake to stop. I still had the stock rear sprocket (56 teeth) so the bike was screaming at 55 mph, but wouldn't go any faster. I just pulled in the clutch and then the brakes...and the engine was still screaming, kept it in 5th, let out the clutch, and the bike screamed forward to the gas station where I called some friends for help.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
how did that smell??? all that clutch and brake.. mmmm yummy

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.