Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #1

Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 Oil Change Tutorial

The 196cc engine in the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is a very close copy of the engine employed in the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. Therefore, many repair and maintenance procedures are identical for both these motorcycles, and changing the engine oil is just one example. Instead of composing my own oil change tutorial, I will instead direct interested readers to an excellent thread previously posted on the TW200 forum by dxnomad, of Saint Albans, West Virginia.

http://tw200.forumotion.com/search.f..._results=posts

This superb thread outlines all of the important steps and precautions you should perform while changing the engine oil on either the Zongshen or Yamaha 196cc engines. As a service to Zongshen 200GY-2 owners, I have posted the following photographs that show the important oil change locations on the Zongshen motorcycle.

Here is the location of the Zongshen’s oil drain plug.

The Zong’s oil filter cover is located here.

Always check for oil leaks at the cylinder head base gasket, located here.

Finally, it is very important to always use the correct oil filter with four holes in the end! After the new oil is added, start up your engine and slightly loosen the bolt shown below to check for oil flow to the top of the cylinder head.

This procedure will verify that you have the correct oil filter, and it ensures that the camshaft, valve rockers and valve tappets are being lubricated in the cylinder head!

Sierra 200GY-2 oil filters are available from Zongshen America, or you can use any oil filter designed for the Yamaha TW200, XT225, TT-R225 or TT-R230 motorcycles. However, be forewarned; the manufacturer sometimes makes a mistake, so always be sure to look for the four holes in the end of the oil filter!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to max_damage
Quote:
or you can use any oil filter designed for the Yamaha TW200, XT225, TT-R225 or TT-R230 motorcycles
Can you confirm it 100% it will fit, becouse i allways cleaned my filter (didnt know witch one to buy :oops: ) so i can buy one.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_damage
Quote:
or you can use any oil filter designed for the Yamaha TW200, XT225, TT-R225 or TT-R230 motorcycles
Can you confirm it 100% it will fit, becouse i allways cleaned my filter (didnt know witch one to buy :oops: ) so i can buy one.
Hi, Max. I hope you are well and enjoying your Zong!

I must admit, I have not verified it myself, so I cannot confirm 100% that the Yamaha filters I specified are exact replacements. The Zongshen oil filter is reusable. Therefore, like you, I have been cleaning my original oil filter and reusing it. The original oil filter is ruggedly built, and I am sure it will last a very long time.

However, I was ordering some parts from Zongshen America, so I also bought a spare oil filter for $7.00, plus shipping. This way I can exchange oil filters when I change my oil, and clean the used oil filter at my leisure.

The Zongshen oil filter is very well built, reusable and competitively priced, so there is no need to get an aftermarket oil filter. However, I am 99% sure the Yamaha filters I specified will work for the Zongshen 200GY-2. :wink:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #4

I have verified that the Zongshen 200GY-2 oil filter is an exact replica of the Yamaha TW200 oil filter. Located below is a photograph of the two oil filters, shown side by side. The Zongshen filter is on the left, and the Yamaha filter is on the right.

Here is a photo of the Yamaha filter and its package.

In my opinion, the Yamaha oil filter is superior in quality to the Zongshen oil filter. Therefore, I will insert the Yamaha filter during my next oil change.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #5

Makes me worder if there is a similar substitute for the filten in my Lifan...

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #6

Re: Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 Oil Change Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
After the new oil is added, start up your engine and slightly loosen the bolt shown below to check for oil flow to the top of the cylinder head.

This procedure will verify that you have the correct oil filer, and it ensures that the camshaft, valve rockers and valve tappets are being lubricated in the cylinder head!
At last!. So that's what that bolt is for...I have a similar one on mine and have been staring at it regularly for ages wondering what it was for...
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 04-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchetto
Quote:
After the new oil is added, start up your engine and slightly loosen the bolt shown below to check for oil flow to the top of the cylinder head.

This procedure will verify that you have the correct oil filer, and it ensures that the camshaft, valve rockers and valve tappets are being lubricated in the cylinder head!
At last!. So that's what that bolt is for...I have a similar one on mine and have been staring at it regularly for ages wondering what it was for...
Eureka! I am glad I could help, my friend.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #8

zongshen !!

hello there .. i just bought a zongshen 200 gy and i can say that im extremely satisfied with the bike so far ! i'm planing to do some modifications on the brakes but overall the bikes is great !!! and the best of all i bought it for 900 dollars !!!! so it can't better !!! i realy enjoy this forums because if you dont know much about the bike you can learn really easy so thanks for this post !!! also i will like to know where can i get a aftermarket exaust that could increase the performance of the bike ?, if any ideas please let me know thanks!!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene
hello there .. i just bought a zongshen 200 gy and i can say that im extremely satisfied with the bike so far ! i'm planing to do some modifications on the brakes but overall the bikes is great !!! and the best of all i bought it for 900 dollars !!!! so it can't better !!!…
Welcome to these forums, Rene. You got a great deal, and I am sure you will enjoy your new Zongshen 200GY-2.
Quote:
…i realy enjoy this forums because if you dont know much about the bike you can learn really easy so thanks for this post !!!…
You are very welcome. Thank you for the kind words.
Quote:
…also i will like to know where can i get a aftermarket exaust that could increase the performance of the bike ?, if any ideas please let me know thanks!!
I have not modified the exhaust system on my motorcycle. However, you might get a few ideas if you read the following thread. Good luck!

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...er=asc&start=0

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #10

Using the glass eye sight at the bottom of the engine, I filled it to the full mark ( top line ) with 1 qt oil, then started it up to get oil through the filter and system, then it looked liked it needed .1 qt more so I added and it was right where it should be. Then, I rode it for 2 days and glanced at it today, and it look's slightly above the top mark where it was. Is it too full now ? I don't understand that ? Maybe now that the oil is HOT ? What should I do drain some out ?

ANY SUGGESTIONS HERE ????

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Using the glass eye sight at the bottom of the engine, I filled it to the full mark ( top line ) with 1 qt oil, then started it up to get oil through the filter and system, then it looked liked it needed .1 qt more so I added and it was right where it should be. Then, I rode it for 2 days and glanced at it today, and it look's slightly above the top mark where it was. Is it too full now ? I don't understand that ? Maybe now that the oil is HOT ? What should I do drain some out ?

ANY SUGGESTIONS HERE ????
The extra oil probably drained down into the sump over the two day period. In my experience, 1 quart fills the bike up to just the right level. However, don't worry about an extra .1 quart of oil. If you have a little too much oil it will blow out into the airbox and be collected in the overflow tube. It is certainly better to have slightly too much oil than too little oil.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #12

hello there ... i have a question on the Zongshen’s oil drain plug when trying to removiong the plug broke .... !!!! due to the person that i bought it from never did a iol change since he got it like 5 months ago !!! my question is where can i get a new plug there are not delaerrs in the area that so i was wondering since the znogshen is really similar to the tw 200 could it be the same size or not???? if anybody know i will like to hear some options thanks againg!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3n3
hello there ... i have a question on the Zongshen’s oil drain plug when trying to removiong the plug broke .... !!!! due to the person that i bought it from never did a iol change since he got it like 5 months ago !!! my question is where can i get a new plug there are not delaerrs in the area that so i was wondering since the znogshen is really similar to the tw 200 could it be the same size or not???? if anybody know i will like to hear some options thanks againg!!!
You can probably get the Zong oil plug from forum member, and Zong dealer, Phil. You can certainly order a new oil plug from Zongshen America.

http://zongshenamerica.com/

Finally, I am pretty sure an oil plug manufactured for the Yamaha TW200, or Yamaha XT225 motorcycles will fit your Zongshen Sierra 200. Good luck, and let us know how things turn out for you.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchetto
Quote:

I wonder if the port is for an external oil cooler? I probably would not want one on a little enduro, but on a street bike it would make sense.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #15

Rene said

hello there .. i just bought a zongshen 200 gy and i can say that im extremely satisfied with the bike so far ! i'm planing to do some modifications on the brakes but overall the bikes is great !!! and the best of all i bought it for 900 dollars !!!! so it can't better

Can you tell us the circumstances that you got a Zong 200 for $900.