Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #1

Redcat DZ-150 or Lifan QP100GY?

A friend of mine is looking for a pair of 125cc dirt bikes for his sons. He is not interested in a pit bike. He wants a mid-sized motorcycle that his kids can ride for a while before they graduate to a full-sized bike.

After doing a little research, it looks to me like his best choice would be either a Tank/Redcat DZ-150 or a Lifan LF100GY-B.

I found the Redcat DZ-150 listed at the Tank web site:

http://www.tank-sports.com/products/...cat-dz-150.htm

However, I can't find anyone who is selling it. :(

The Lifan LF100GY-B is being sold at Hooper Imports:

http://www.hooperimports.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=18

What do you think? Which would be a better, more reliable motorcycle for young riders? Also, where is the best place to buy?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #2

I have a LF100GY-B, it is a okay trail bike but I due think the RedCat is a better bike.

On mine I upgraded the carb and did some cosmetic changes. I also removed the battery as it only was to tell what gear you are in when the bike is not running.

By the way these motor type requires you to start it with the clutch out in neutral.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

hooper has a good price on the lifan i have one left ive been trying to sell but hooper price is less than my cost
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 03-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblas3
I have a LF100GY-B, it is a okay trail bike but I due think the RedCat is a better bike.

On mine I upgraded the carb and did some cosmetic changes. I also removed the battery as it only was to tell what gear you are in when the bike is not running.

By the way these motor type requires you to start it with the clutch out in neutral.

Thanks for the information.

I sent an email to Tank Sports Inc. asking them to help me find a vendor for the Redcat DZ150. Here is their response:

"Sorry the DZ150 is pretty much completely out of stock. It has been discontinued.

Tank Sports Inc
Parts Dept"

:(

Well, it looks like my friend's best option is the Lifan 100GY-B. Can anyone else suggest another option?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
hooper has a good price on the lifan i have one left ive been trying to sell but hooper price is less than my cost
Thank you, Phil. Can you think of another motorcycle in this class that competes well with the Lifan 100GY-B?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #6

good to be noticed i really like the lf100 while it has its drawbacks like kick start only and only in netural and im not crazy about the apperance but short of pit bikes that i know of its alone in it class why?
vertical cylinder
quite (my favorite)
its easy to ride, the power is good controlable and the clutch is easy to learn and very forgiving and it seems very dependable
it is what i think is the perfect pre/early teen bike i wouldn't look any more unless its a honda xr
most pit bike have wayyy to much power, they are loud and seem to handle "diffrent" maybe faster handleing
i have done it before, hooper has the price i would jump, hooper would be my second choice ,,,,,,,i have to put me first

Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #7

Quote:
good to be noticed i really like the lf100 while it has its drawbacks like kick start only and only in netural and im not crazy about the apperance but short of pit bikes that i know of its alone in it class why?
vertical cylinder
quite (my favorite)
its easy to ride, the power is good controlable and the clutch is easy to learn and very forgiving and it seems very dependable
it is what i think is the perfect pre/early teen bike i wouldn't look any more unless its a honda xr
most pit bike have wayyy to much power, they are loud and seem to handle "diffrent" maybe faster handleing
i have done it before, hooper has the price i would jump, hooper would be my second choice ,,,,,,,i have to put me first
Thank you for your detailed, informative response. I always enjoy reading your posts, Phil.

I showed the QP100GY information to my friend, and he thinks this bike will probably fits his needs. He is also happy with the price. Now he needs to consult with his wife, and look at the size of his tax refund.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #8

I have a Lifan 100 and it's ok. The powerband really suits a novice rider, but I think the Redcat is a choice that will be easier to keep. It'll take longer to outgrow and it'll accomodate growing skills a little more readily.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #9

i also have a apollo 150 very similar bike to the red cat but the thing i was trying to point out these 2 bikes arent in the same class its like saying the xr 100 and the 200 and making a comparison, :idea: best answer put your bike in the back of a truck drive to the shop ill let you compare in person you may be able to check out seat heights on the lifan/serria discussion and look at the cpi heck, if i get one in it will be mine ill let you try it out and maybe pick up new knobbies on that serria , assuming i ever get them

Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
vertical cylinder
quite (my favorite)
Thank you for your detailed, informative response. I always enjoy reading your posts, Phil.

I showed the QP100GY information to my friend, and he thinks this bike will probably fits his needs. He is also happy with the price. Now he needs to consult with his wife, and look at the size of his tax refund.

Spud
As do I, Phil is always helpful.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85
I have a Lifan 100 and it's ok. The powerband really suits a novice rider, but I think the Redcat is a choice that will be easier to keep. It'll take longer to outgrow and it'll accomodate growing skills a little more readily.
Yes, I was really interested in learning more about the Redcat DZ150. However, Tank Sports Inc. told me that the Redcat DZ150 is a discontinued model. :(

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #12

The dealer I bought my Tank 200 from had some Redcat 150's, still has one on the floor I think. They are a nice looking bike and have had few come back. That said, with Tank's non-existent parts support for the bikes they have manufactured for them, let alone a line they bought out, I would skip the redcat even if they were still available. I bought my son a hooper QP 100 Gy bike that he still rides daily for 2 years now. It does have a glitch in the carb we have not gotten rid of, and 1st gear sometimes jumps out, but he has ridden the wheeels off of this thing. It's certainly no racing dirt bike, but it has good power down low and will pull my 260 lbs around fine. For the low price, I have been very happy with this bike. It has been a very good first bike for a young rider. I wish Hooper sold a 150 just like it. If you get one, take it apart and locktite everything.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
The dealer I bought my Tank 200 from had some Redcat 150's, still has one on the floor I think. They are a nice looking bike and have had few come back. That said, with Tank's non-existent parts support for the bikes they have manufactured for them, let alone a line they bought out, I would skip the redcat even if they were still available. I bought my son a hooper QP 100 Gy bike that he still rides daily for 2 years now. It does have a glitch in the carb we have not gotten rid of, and 1st gear sometimes jumps out, but he has ridden the wheeels off of this thing. It's certainly no racing dirt bike, but it has good power down low and will pull my 260 lbs around fine. For the low price, I have been very happy with this bike. It has been a very good first bike for a young rider. I wish Hooper sold a 150 just like it. If you get one, take it apart and locktite everything.
Thank you for the sound advice, Gene. Also, thank you very much for taking the time to make your original posts regarding the QP 100GY/LF 100GY-B motorcycle. I learned a lot by reading your detailed, thorough descriptions of your experience with this bike. I appreciate very much that you took the time, and made the considerable effort, to share your personal experience and knowledge with other potential buyers, such as my friend.

Based largely upon your posts, I recommended the QP 100GY to my friend. He likes the bike a lot, but I don't think he has the finances right now to purchase one. :( However, I am very glad I could steer him in the right direction.

I probably never would have learned about this motorcycle without all of your help and hard work. Once again, thank you very much for being such a considerate and helpful gentleman.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #14

Your welcome.
I lucked out on that bike I think. The Redcat's, which I considered a lot, were about twice the price, and price was a factor. I may get one more for my daughter and keep it stored till she gets a little bigger.
Since my son still rides his Lifan, I still consider our family a china rider family. However, I took the plunge and found a great price on a near new Honda XR650L with only 1300 miles. Day after tomorrow, I will be a Honda man.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #15

Nothing wrong with a honda. The china bikes are good stepping stones for moving up to bigger bikes.

Allen