Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 AM   #1

Broken Frame - Gio Hummer

So Gang,

What causes frame breakage in this spot? Been welded once already, probably not well, but it broke there on it's own before the weld.

Keep in mind, this is a 40lbs 5 year old's quad..and it is about 2-3months old.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #2

Without seeing more of the machine, I'm not sure what's causing the breakage. I can tell you that I'd stick a slug inside the frame before welding it up to add strength.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #3

Thanks..

I will pass that suggestion on for the next buzz job.

Must be something that would cause this.. I don't think it was even an existing weld spot, but not sure on that..

Old 08-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #4

That plate that is welded just above the break is the mount for the swingarm. Since that plate sort of acts as a gusset, I'm not surprised that the break happened just below it.

I would look on the underside of the quad frame for witness marks that indicate an impact with a large rock. Since the shock is probably too stiff for a 40 pounder to compress, the frame took the impact. Kids tend to repeat the same riding pattern that hey're comfortable with, so maybe this isn't the first encounter with said rock.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That plate that is welded just above the break is the mount for the swingarm. Since that plate sort of acts as a gusset, I'm not surprised that the break happened just below it.

I would look on the underside of the quad frame for witness marks that indicate an impact with a large rock. Since the shock is probably too stiff for a 40 pounder to compress, the frame took the impact. Kids tend to repeat the same riding pattern that hey're comfortable with, so maybe this isn't the first encounter with said rock.
Very interesting deduction.

There is a a lot of dirt filling going on there and some big rocks around so that is a highly likely scenario.. and this little guy spools this thing up quite a bit. He's quite competent on it for his age.