Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #1

YZ vs. WR

Okay,

Weldangrind has put a bug in my ear about trading my YZ for a WR.

Due to the fact I am no MX'er, and the lack of lights(registration issue) and kickstand (where's a tree??) on the YZ, I am going to look into perhaps trading it.

I'm wondering if I should expect to get more for a YZ? ..or if they are virtually the same price? Should I demand more money or straight trade for me bike? I love input!

I've emailed a dealer and perhaps I'll upgrade to a 450.. 8O

Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #2

For starters, WR stands for "wide ratio". You'll likely be just as happy with a WR250 as you are with your YZ250 in terms of power, and the gearing will be much more bush friendly. Admitting that you're not an MX'er is the first step. That's why I bought an XR and not a CRF.

If you can manage to buy the WR of your dreams first, you can take the time to swap over any parts you might want to keep (like your Dr.D pipe or your tires). I have a friend in Kelowna that lucked out and found a WR250 that was already fitted with a Rekluse clutch. Sweet deal.

Once you're satisfied with the WR, you could then sell the YZ (ideally just after the bike show in January, when everyone becomes rabid again).

Who knows, maybe you'll find a WR that already has a decent exhaust, and you can do a trade. I don't know which one would hold more value, but I have someone I can ask, so I'll let you know.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #3

All this for a kickstand 8O

Old 08-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
For starters, WR stands for "wide ratio". You'll likely be just as happy with a WR250 as you are with your YZ250 in terms of power, and the gearing will be much more bush friendly. Admitting that you're not an MX'er is the first step. That's why I bought an XR and not a CRF.

If you can manage to buy the WR of your dreams first, you can take the time to swap over any parts you might want to keep (like your Dr.D pipe or your tires). I have a friend in Kelowna that lucked out and found a WR250 that was already fitted with a Rekluse clutch. Sweet deal.

Once you're satisfied with the WR, you could then sell the YZ (ideally just after the bike show in January, when everyone becomes rabid again).

Who knows, maybe you'll find a WR that already has a decent exhaust, and you can do a trade. I don't know which one would hold more value, but I have someone I can ask, so I'll let you know.
Probably have to flip the YZ pretty quick, either in the deal or right before/after for the cash.

I thought the WR's were pretty much the same other than gears and lights etc. Are the clutches different you think?

Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Haha.. well, it's also about off road insurance that is tough to get with a YZ, with no lights etc.

I think I bought my bike real cheap for our market, and can probably flip it into something newer/nicer etc right now. I haven't made any decisions, but investigating possibilities.

If I get told I need to pay 1000 difference I'll tell whomever says that to suck balls and keep my YZ.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Haha.. well, it's also about off road insurance that is tough to get with a YZ, with no lights etc.

I think I bought my bike real cheap for our market, and can probably flip it into something newer/nicer etc right now. I haven't made any decisions, but investigating possibilities.

If I get told I need to pay 1000 difference I'll tell whomever says that to suck balls and keep my YZ.
Right if that's the case You can throw some lights one it and call it good for a lot less.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Quote:

Probably have to flip the YZ pretty quick, either in the deal or right before/after for the cash.

I thought the WR's were pretty much the same other than gears and lights etc. Are the clutches different you think?
Not positive, but I'm inclined to think that the clutch would be the same.

I spoke with my friend last night (he's very knowledgeable), and he said that if you had two similar condition bikes, similar mileage and wear, the WR would fetch more. He also said that MX racers tend to buy a new bike every year or two, keeping the price down. Guys that buy WR bikes tend to hold on to them. You can do your own retail pricing comparison at the Yamaha website: http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/index.php?group=M $8599 for a 2009 WR250F, $8499 for a 2009 YZ250F, or a 2009 WR250R Dual Sport for $7899.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #8

Interesting the new WR's don't look like the new YZ's, which still look the same as mine from '04.

The 03-07 WR's look just like the YZ just with the light at the front.

International Motorsports has a 05 WR 450 on for 3500. I'm working on seeing how much they would give me for the YZ.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #9

Is yours an '05? If so, shoot for the moon. Tell 'em you want a straight trade and you wanna keep your Dr.D.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:57 AM   #10

Mine is an '04 but what's the friggin difference they all look the damn same!

Would the Dr.D work on a 450 or would I need a bigger one???

BTW: They never got back to me today.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #11

If you're after a 450 (sorry I missed that detail in your previous post), you'd likely want a 450-specific exhaust. If you can trade your YZ250 straight across for that WR450, you're the king!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
If you're after a 450 (sorry I missed that detail in your previous post), you'd likely want a 450-specific exhaust. If you can trade your YZ250 straight across for that WR450, you're the king!
I guess we'll find out what happens. I don't expect to get that offer, but there are lots of ads for my style of bike in the 3500 range, and this dealer is selling other YZ's for more so price wise I'm in the range.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #13

Pity You can't have both.....But if trails is what it is all about and You don't want to pull doubles I'd say sell her and get a more road and trail friendly bike. I have both and cannot tell which one will get more use now.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Pity You can't have both.....But if trails is what it is all about and You don't want to pull doubles I'd say sell her and get a more road and trail friendly bike. I have both and cannot tell which one will get more use now.
Yeah dude I'd be happy with a wheelie, doubles just not in my future anytime.

I do love the acceleration and the noise though. Don't have a WR to compare it to but perhaps it'll be similar.

..and I could have both, but I'd have to boot the old lady out first and she comes in handy sometimes, like on laundry day.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah dude I'd be happy with a wheelie, doubles just not in my future anytime.

I do love the acceleration and the noise though. Don't have a WR to compare it to but perhaps it'll be similar.

..and I could have both, but I'd have to boot the old lady out first and she comes in handy sometimes, like on laundry day.

Just laundry day??? You must be getting older And a bike with alot of same travel and more of the items that make it able to be ridden in more places is never a bad thing...Good luck with either choice.