Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #1

Craigslist Score - Gio Beast 200cc - Pics and Wiring

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen the start of this is the Misc forum. Thought I'd move it over to the ATV section.

Bought a Beast, used, for 250 bucks off CL. Has some fix'er up'er needs. Namely the rear tire and some wiring problems...although it still smells like fuel, but perhaps that's because there's no spark and the fuel is just sitting in the cylinder when I try to start it. Sure does poor out of the bowl drain hose easily though.

I've taken some shots, as there is an electrical piece where the connector has broken and disconnected itself and I'm wondering just what this piece is. Clearly I need a new connector on the wire to fix this issue. You'll see the wire off in one of the shots, part of the connector is still on the piece on the quad.

Here is the severed front brake switch wire. Looks like a clean slice, like someone did it on purpose. Question to the Beast owners, is the taillight a brake light only like on the mini quads, or does it stay on at all times? It seems to be on for me all the time, which I would expect would over ride the 'hold the brake in to start switch,' but I'm not sure..

Back tire completely screwed, which is annoying since I hoped to fix it with sweat and tears, and minor parts, and not $50 rubber.

Sorry for the crappy shots, it's dark out and the spotlight was throwing off my perfect ISO to F/stop settings.. 'pfft' awful HP camera.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #2

Coil. I stand behind my answer in Misc.

Tailight is always on with seperate brakelight when brakes are applied. Tail is LED on mine, but could easily be incandecent on an older one...good ole Canadain tire 1157 if im not mistaken.

EDIT: Ahhh...so THATS how the front dash cover is supposed to look ....I'll have to fix mine up a bit...yours looks much neater.

So you knocked 50 bucks off the price for the colour? (Pete ducks)

I just rechecked my winning bid and I lied. 28 bucks for a pair of rears (thought it was 24) +5 + tax and if you dont combine it, say 20 for shipping, so yeah, 54 bucks or so for two new rears.

The GIO site lets you stall for 5 days before you have to pony up. I use that a lot to pick up other items to knock down shipping. I got 4 items once for 25 bucks shipping total.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

Tailight is always on with seperate brakelight when brakes are applied. Tail is LED on mine, but could easily be incandecent on an older one...good ole Canadain tire 1157 if im not mistaken.
Hey Pete,

I went on the Gio site and was looking at electrical components and figured as much when seeing some of them as well.. you were bang on! I see it has posi and neg connections as well as the wire which is loose. I hate electrical to be honest, but do you know what that wire that is off is for? I can expect it's causing me a spark problem though I bet!

The tail light is on, can't tell if it gets brighter or less bright. The bulb is still fine. My concern is with the severed front brake wire, that it could be cutting off spark as well, since it won't know if the brake is depressed for start up.. I don't know if just pushing the rear brake lever by foot is sufficient to get spark as the safety feature bypass.. I know you talked about this in your post.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

Hey Pete,

I went on the Gio site and was looking at electrical components and figured as much when seeing some of them as well.. you were bang on! I see it has posi and neg connections as well as the wire which is loose. I hate electrical to be honest, but do you know what that wire that is off is for? I can expect it's causing me a spark problem though I bet!

The tail light is on, can't tell if it gets brighter or less bright. The bulb is still fine. My concern is with the severed front brake wire, that it could be cutting off spark as well, since it won't know if the brake is depressed for start up.. I don't know if just pushing the rear brake lever by foot is sufficient to get spark as the safety feature bypass.. I know you talked about this in your post.
Not offhand, but I'm at work...I can have a peek when I get home around 03:00 your time. You are in BC right?

I will pop in the garage and trace it back...have to say hi to the bike anyway
Switch is inboard of your right ankle while sitting on the bike. Spring actuated, have a look and you'll figure it out in 10 seconds.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #5

P.S. The dude put the front tires on backwards from the looks of it.

looking at the pics though, it doesnt seem bad at all..barely even dirty really. You may have really got a sweetheart deal there!

Course, you could always order one of those Zong 250cc black engines to drop in there...would be neat.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Not offhand, but I'm at work...I can have a peek when I get home around 03:00 your time. You are in BC right?

Switch is inboard of your right ankle while sitting on the bike. Spring actuated, have a look and you'll figure it out in 10 seconds.
Yes I am in BC.

So you don't have to hold the front and back brakes to get it to start?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

Yes I am in BC.

So you don't have to hold the front and back brakes to get it to start?
Yes, you do. One or the other.
You can stomp on the foot brake but my spring is weak so its easier for me to pull in the brake lever and set the parking brake. You really have to yank the lever in far to do that on mine.
The parking brake is that pin thing sticking up from your right hand bar with a plastic head on it but you do not have to use it to start the bike....just pull in the brake lever....I find it easier to set the parking brake when starting the bike, one less thing to hang on to.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
P.S. The dude put the front tires on backwards from the looks of it.

looking at the pics though, it doesnt seem bad at all..barely even dirty really. You may have really got a sweetheart deal there!

Course, you could always order one of those Zong 250cc black engines to drop in there...would be neat.
Guy told me his 15 year old daughter rode it, maybe for 6 hours. Now she wants a dirt bike like him. Said it was running fine, he changed the oil, went to start it and couldn't get it to fire.. didn't want to piss around with it so sold it. I don't see any major things that tell me it's been shit bagged, other than the rear tire. Seeing that wire busted off like that is a good sign of where the problem is, but who knows..

Good eye on the tires, they are on backwards, I was so focused on the spark and the rear tire I hadn't noticed that!! Funny. I can't complain for 250 bucks though. I already have a bid on a rear tire on Giobikes, and a perf. cdi.

This will primarily be for the wife to ride, so I don't need a hot 250cc motor in it, but it would be fun too.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #9

T,

I always use the rear brake when starting the Beast. Doesn't matter which one you use.

I'm trying to catch up on the wiring issue; has a wire to the coil broken off?

What's wrong with the rear tire? Looks the same as mine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
T,

I always use the rear brake when starting the Beast. Doesn't matter which one you use.

Hey D,

If you look at the first two pictures you'll see their is a wire that has a rubber boot over the brass connector, it was off the coil when I was looking. There is the part of the connector that slides over the receiving end of the coil still on it, and the wire just dangles free. I'm having a hard time explaining tonight. I'm not sure where that wire goes, as I can see the posi and neg cables are still tightly screwed in there.

The brake light wire from the handle bar is severed, which is why I was asking about the brake/start issue.

The rear tire is so flat it's coming off the rim. It won't hold air. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #11

Quote:
T,

Looks like its off the bead at 12:00.

you can try hitting it with about 30psi to seat the bead and see what happens. mine was shipped like that (one tire) and thats what I did.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
T,

Hey D,

If you look at the first two pictures you'll see their is a wire that has a rubber boot over the brass connector, it was off the coil when I was looking. There is the part of the connector that slides over the receiving end of the coil still on it, and the wire just dangles free. I'm having a hard time explaining tonight. I'm not sure where that wire goes, as I can see the posi and neg cables are still tightly screwed in there.

The brake light wire from the handle bar is severed, which is why I was asking about the brake/start issue.

The rear tire is so flat it's coming off the rim. It won't hold air. The picture doesn't do it justice.
So the female part of the spade connector is pulled out of the wire? if so, no big deal. C/T has boxs of em for a couple bucks.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Quote:
T,

Looks like its off the bead at 12:00.

you can try hitting it with about 30psi to seat the bead and see what happens. mine was shipped like that (one tire) and thats what I did.
I tried to pump the tire with my compressor. 75psi coming through the line, it just hissed and did nothing. ?? My guess is there's a rip in the tire comewhere, couldn't find it though, but ran out of time.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #14

The beauty thing about this is that we can compare it to my Beast if we get stuck.

On the tire issue, mine both popped off the rim when I first got it, despite trying different pressures. I finally gave in and installed tubes. Highly recommended permanent fix. Don't bother with the auction yet.

Also, I can show you how to re-seat the bead if you wish.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Also, I can show you how to re-seat the bead if you wish.

W&G, you are very diplomatic my friend, but although my way worked for me, I'm never too old to learn a better way!

pete