Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

question about the zong? motor rattles at higher rpms

while ridding at low to mid rpms it runs smooth but out on the road i have to get on it alot more and when higher rpms and a lot of throttle (like riding up a hill in 5th gear at 55) the motor sounds like it rattles some, like it does in a car that is spark knocking. i filled it up with reg gas (87) so i added a little octane booster, not much probably brought the octane to the low 90's. it runs smoother and rattles a lot less. i have under 100 miles on it and have changed the oil 2 times, 1st time was before i started it, 2nd time around 25 miles. Is the rattling normal?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #2

Spud? I wonder if the valves need adjusting? Also maybe fuel mixture?

Allen

Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

I always only use premiun in all my motorcycles. Cheap insurance against knocking. Stock spark plug? Different heat range maybe?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #4

The fact that the rattling calmed down with octane booster puts a finer point on detonation. Try super unleaded at you next fill and see if the problem goes away.

BTW, you can make just about any car or bike detonate if you load it up in too high of a gear.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #5

Do i need to change the stock spark plug? it came with a NGK D8EA and the gap is set to .70 mm.

about the gas, i always used premium also years ago but its hard to find gas stations around here with 3 pumps on each machine at the station. if you go to a gas station that only has one pump then there is probably around a gallon (no sure how much) of gas left in the line and pump coming out to the bike. I will try to get 93 in it.

its not real bad and it does the same thing if i lug the motor also.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan566
Do i need to change the stock spark plug? it came with a NGK D8EA and the gap is set to .70 mm.

about the gas, i always used premium also years ago but its hard to find gas stations around here with 3 pumps on each machine at the station. if you go to a gas station that only has one pump then there is probably around a gallon (no sure how much) of gas left in the line and pump coming out to the bike. I will try to get 93 in it.

its not real bad and it does the same thing if i lug the motor also.
Your plug is correct.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #7

I would agree that the plug is the correct type, but if it is the stock plug, it might be a fake. There are some clever NGK forgeries out there, but you can spot one next to the genuine article. Did you buy and install the plug, or was it original to the bike? If it is the original, I'd buy a new one.

I'm with you on the separate fuel hose issue. That's the reason why I buy dirt bike fuel from our local Chevron with a dedicated super unleaded pump.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #8

See if you can duplicate the noise in a lower gear, It might be some vibration. Look for any thing that might vibrate at a higher rpm.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 AM   #9

If your Zong is like mine, you got a real NGK spark plug. Also, the spark plug is correctly gapped. Therefore, I don't think you have a bad spark plug.

I always burn 87 octane fuel in my Zong, and this fuel has not caused any problems for me after riding 22,000 miles. Therefore, I don't think you need higher octane gasoline, either.

I don't think anything is loose, since the Zong comes well assembled from the factory. However, it certainly doesn't hurt to check all the bolts.

I think all single-cylinder, air cooled engines make a bit of noise. If you listen carefully, you will also certainly hear the valves opening and closing. You say the noise is not too bad, therefore, I think the noise you hear is probably normal. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to check/adjust the valve clearance. If you can, I encourage you to test ride someone's Yamaha TW200; I wouldn't be surprised if the engine sounds the same. Alternatively, you could have someone else ride your Zong, and see if he thinks the noise is abnormal.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
...BTW, you can make just about any car or bike detonate if you load it up in too high of a gear.
Exactly. After all, this is only a 200cc motorcycle. Also, the Zong is geared way too high from the factory.

Are you possibly hearing noise coming from the drive chain?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #11

I ran 87 in my lifan with no problems too. The zong may be higher compression though. Spud, we are about 1100 ft of elevation here in GA. It may be that he needs to jet up the carb some.

Allen

Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #12

Higher elevation you jet down, leaner mixture. A richer mixture, although suboptimal, would cool the engine and actually help prevent detonation/preignition. They are not exactly the same thing, but there is overlap.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #13

Could you have the bike in fourth in that speed? If going up a hill or needing more power? It sounds to me like you might be overtaxing the motor. You mentioned it makes the same sound when it lugs, could the amount of power you're requiring at that speed up a hill essentially be doing the same thing?

I think about this at a distance, 55 MPH is a pretty good clip on a 200cc Air cooled motorcycle. I'm not sure the top speed of the Zong, but I thought I'd read here about 65 mph. If you're going up hill at that speed, sounds to me like you're at the end of the tourque/hp/speed limit. The noise you hear might just be the bike/motor telling you I need more revs for this.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I ran 87 in my lifan with no problems too. The zong may be higher compression though. Spud, we are about 1100 ft of elevation here in GA. It may be that he needs to jet up the carb some.

Allen
Based upon my experience, and the experience of others, I think Alan's carburetor main jet is fine, Allen. The stock, Teikei, size 132, main jet is pretty much optimal for your altitude; if anything, this main jet is a little rich.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Could you have the bike in fourth in that speed? If going up a hill or needing more power? It sounds to me like you might be overtaxing the motor. You mentioned it makes the same sound when it lugs, could the amount of power you're requiring at that speed up a hill essentially be doing the same thing?

I think about this at a distance, 55 MPH is a pretty good clip on a 200cc Air cooled motorcycle. I'm not sure the top speed of the Zong, but I thought I'd read here about 65 mph. If you're going up hill at that speed, sounds to me like you're at the end of the tourque/hp/speed limit. The noise you hear might just be the bike/motor telling you I need more revs for this.
This is exactly what I also believe. I think you will notice a definite improvement if you switch to a smaller countershaft sprocket. I recommend either a 14-tooth, or a 13-tooth countershaft sprocket.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7565
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...er=asc&start=0
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9240

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220