Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #1

About todays ride and some questions for the Zong Masters!

I put around 60 miles on the bike today and i have a few questions about the the bike.

To start with, I rode for about 40 miles today then I refilled the bike with 93 octane, the bike held 1.3 gals. I used a station that had 3 nozzles at each pump so I know i got 93 octane. Anyway I rode another 20 miles and it was like another bike. I don't understand this because it really shouldn't of make that much difference I wouldn't of thought but it did. The bike felt it had 25% more power. It really woke it up through the gears also. The gas that was already in the bike was not old or anything, just regular 87 octane and I drove to the pump a few weeks ago and filled it up. I had already put some octane booster in it but not to much and it made the the bike run better but nothing at all like the 93 did and now the noise from the engine at higher rpms is gone. The question here is does this make any since?

Next question is about changing the rear sprocket.
The road I will driving on the most the traffics average speed is around 60 to 65+ mph. I mostly keep up with traffic on the bike with stock gears and if the tachometer is correct I'm tacking between 6300 to 6800+. The bike can do this except for a few hills that are giving it a little trouble. Its a lot better now but it could still use a little bit of help. This question is do you think the 50T rear sprocket would help me out or be to high of a gear for the speeds I need to go? It feels like the bike doesn't like much over 7000 rpms.

With all this in mind do you think it might be best to keep the stock gears and boost the HP up as much as I can with aftermarket exhaust and anything else that could be done? It really doesn't need much more to get it where I need it to be.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #2

Re: About todays ride and some questions for the Zong Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan566
I put around 60 miles on the bike today and i have a few questions about the the bike.

To start with, I rode for about 40 miles today then I refilled the bike with 93 octane, the bike held 1.3 gals. I used a station that had 3 nozzles at each pump so I know i got 93 octane. Anyway I rode another 20 miles and it was like another bike. I don't understand this because it really shouldn't of make that much difference I wouldn't of thought but it did. The bike felt it had 25% more power. It really woke it up through the gears also. The gas that was already in the bike was not old or anything, just regular 87 octane and I drove to the pump a few weeks ago and filled it up. I had already put some octane booster in it but not to much and it made the the bike run better but nothing at all like the 93 did and now the noise from the engine at higher rpms is gone. The question here is does this make any since?…
If 93 octane works well for you, it makes great sense to use it. My Zong runs very well on 87 octane fuel. However, if your Zong prefers 93 octane, I think you should continue to use it.
Quote:
…Next question is about changing the rear sprocket.
The road I will driving on the most the traffics average speed is around 60 to 65+ mph. I mostly keep up with traffic on the bike with stock gears and if the tachometer is correct I'm tacking between 6300 to 6800+. The bike can do this except for a few hills that are giving it a little trouble. Its a lot better now but it could still use a little bit of help. This question is do you think the 50T rear sprocket would help me out or be to high of a gear for the speeds I need to go? It feels like the bike doesn't like much over 7000 rpms…
Stock gearing on the Zong is a 15T countershaft sprocket, with a 46T rear sprocket. In my experience, this combination is geared too high for the Zong. Therefore, I encourage you to experiment with slightly lower gearing. The lower gearing will allow you to maintain your speed better when you encounter hills, or headwinds.

If you wish to follow my advice, and experiment, you have two options. For your first option, you can keep the stock, 46T rear sprocket, and experiment with a smaller, 14T countershaft sprocket. For the second option, you can keep the stock, 15T countershaft sprocket, and experiment with a larger, 50T rear sprocket. The rear sprocket is much easier to change, since you must remove the entire left crankcase cover to change the countershaft sprocket.
Quote:
…With all this in mind do you think it might be best to keep the stock gears and boost the HP up as much as I can with aftermarket exhaust and anything else that could be done? It really doesn't need much more to get it where I need it to be.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
You will definitely notice a power increase if you install an FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor. The stock exhaust is very heavy, and highly restrictive. :( If you enjoy the gear ratio you have now, the Turbine Core 2 just might give you the extra little boost in power you desire. If you have the money, and the ability, I certainly encourage you to install the FMF Turbine Core 2. If you install the Turbine Core 2, your Zong will be lighter, and more powerful, whether you decide to change the gearing, or not.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #3

Thanks spud, does the SS header pipe that you use add any more HP?
What else can be done to increase the power to these bikes? I believe my altitude is around 900 ft asl. Has anyone improved the air flow going to the carbs on the zongs?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks spud, does the SS header pipe that you use add any more HP?
What else can be done to increase the power to these bikes? I believe my altitude is around 900 ft asl. Has anyone improved the air flow going to the carbs on the zongs?
You're welcome, Alan. No, my stainless steel, Yamaha XT225, exhaust header does not increase power; I installed it because it looks nice, and it is rust resistant.

The Zong and the TW200 both employ a Teikei MV28, constant velocity carburetor. I don't believe it is prudent to alter the airbox on a constant velocity carburetor. Also, I have not altered my Zong's airbox because I ride a lot offroad, and I want to protect my foam air filter from dust and moisture. However, you can learn a lot about airbox modifications by searching the Yamaha TW200 forum.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/41635/ShowPost.aspx
http://tw200forum.com/forums/58382/ShowPost.aspx
http://tw200forum.com/search/SearchR...q=airbox&f=&u=

In my opinion, the simplest, safest, least expensive way to increase the Zong's power is to replace the very heavy, highly restrictive muffler with an FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #5

Quote:
To start with, I rode for about 40 miles today then I refilled the bike with 93 octane, the bike held 1.3 gals. I used a station that had 3 nozzles at each pump so I know i got 93 octane. Anyway I rode another 20 miles and it was like another bike. I don't understand this because it really shouldn't of make that much difference I wouldn't of thought but it did. The bike felt it had 25% more power. It really woke it up through the gears also. The gas that was already in the bike was not old or anything, just regular 87 octane and I drove to the pump a few weeks ago and filled it up. I had already put some octane booster in it but not to much and it made the the bike run better but nothing at all like the 93 did and now the noise from the engine at higher rpms is gone. The question here is does this make any since?
To piggyback on Spud's comment, I also think that if your bike is happier on 93, use it. Yes, it makes sense that you'd have more power with 93. Not because 93 produces more power, but because the flame front is slower, which prevents detonation. When you experience detonation, you lose power. If it's extreme enough, it'll break plugs and pistons.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #6

Yes, I would say all my toys run better on higher octane fuel, (YZ 250, 200cc Quad, 110cc Quad, 50cc quad) and I believe the manuals that come with them recommend 91 octane minimum.

That isn't to say they don't work on lower octane, just seem much happier on the premium. I'd say stick with it, how much more does it really cost you on a small tank fillup anyways?

Old 03-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #7

Both WG and TurboT make excellent points. I am riding my Zong at elevations of 4,600-9,000 feet above sea level. Therefore, my Zong easily runs well with lower octane gasoline. Since you live much closer to sea level, you certainly might need a higher octane rating for your fuel.

Also, your Zong should get about 75 mpg, and only has a 2.0-gallon fuel tank. Therefore, it will only cost you a few more pennies per fuel stop to run the 93 octane gasoline.

All other considerations aside, you have noticed better performance with the higher octane fuel. Since your Zong runs better with 93 octane gasoline, you should certainly continue to use it.

P.S. If you switch to a 50T rear sprocket, you are also going to need a longer drive chain. To be safe, you should order a chain at least 128 links long.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #8

I don't have a Zong, but I run premium in all my small engines. Due to the fact that your buying small quantities at a time, the price difference is negligible .

Old 03-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #9

I have had a theory that lower octane wroks better at high elevation and higher octane works better at lower elevation. It's an air to fuel type thing that keeps running through my head. Doubt it actually matters but I had too much time to think that day

Old 03-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
I have had a theory that lower octane wroks better at high elevation and higher octane works better at lower elevation. It's an air to fuel type thing that keeps running through my head. Doubt it actually matters but I had too much time to think that day
What a ridiculous theory! How do you come up with this stuff! 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #11

I've had the oppostite experience. I had a 2001 Caravan that was fine on regular at sea level, but it would rattle like rocks in a coffee can at 4500 feet. Super unleaded fixed it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #12

Spud what size FMF Turbine Core 2 Silence do we use? 1-1/8” or 1-1/4”? Is there anything else to consider other than the size when looking for the FMF TC 2? I found the thread you have with a few places to buy it but I'm gonna look around a little more also. thanks alan

Old 03-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Spud what size FMF Turbine Core 2 Silence do we use? 1-1/8” or 1-1/4”? Is there anything else to consider other than the size when looking for the FMF TC 2? I found the thread you have with a few places to buy it but I'm gonna look around a little more also. thanks alan
You're welcome, Alan. You want to purchase the universal fit model of the FMF TC 2 designed for 250cc-500cc bikes. This model fits 1-1/4 inch exhaust headers. The size of the pipe is the only consideration that concerns you, except for the price. You should be able to purchase this silencer for less than $105, delivered.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
To piggyback on Spud's comment, I also think that if your bike is happier on 93, use it. Yes, it makes sense that you'd have more power with 93. Not because 93 produces more power, but because the flame front is slower, which prevents detonation. When you experience detonation, you lose power. If it's extreme enough, it'll break plugs and pistons.
The most likely explanation for the inter-Zong difference would be different factory timing settings. At 70 MPG I'd run premium, enjoy the exra 1/2 HP or so, and call it victory.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
The rear sprocket is much easier to change, since you must remove the entire left crankcase cover to change the countershaft sprocket. Wink
thought I should mention that I was able to change my countershaft sprocket without removing the left crankcase cover. Granted it would have probably been easier to just remove the cover, i was able to fit my hands and socket wrench up underneath to remove and replace sprockets with a slight modification to the sockets overall depth.