Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #1

ever washed your zong? then had to push your zong? twice?

well i washed it and all was well. it started up great then i rode around the yard for 10 mins or so and everything was still great so i took off down the road. i made it about 1 mile or so then it died. it seemed like an electrical problem because there was no spitting or suptering, just all of a sudden like i hit the kill switch. i got it back home and i pulled out the key and there was water on the key, wiped it off then and tried it again, it still had water drops on it. so i opened up the kill switch and got the hair dryer out and dried both of them out off and on for over an hour and it started up fine. i rode around the yard the next day for several mins then hit the rode again. i made about 1 mile or so and it died the same way. i havnt got it started yet, i will try tomorrow. i didn't spay the water very hard around the switches just a little back and forth but i did leave the key in when i washed it. now i am just getting a little grease on the key every time i pull it out. any thoughts? thanks in advance alan

Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Re: ever washed your zong? then had to push your zong? twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan566
well i washed it and all was well. it started up great then i rode around the yard for 10 mins or so and everything was still great so i took off down the road. i made it about 1 mile or so then it died. it seemed like an electrical problem because there was no spitting or suptering, just all of a sudden like i hit the kill switch. i got it back home and i pulled out the key and there was water on the key, wiped it off then and tried it again, it still had water drops on it. so i opened up the kill switch and got the hair dryer out and dried both of them out off and on for over an hour and it started up fine. i rode around the yard the next day for several mins then hit the rode again. i made about 1 mile or so and it died the same way. i havnt got it started yet, i will try tomorrow. i didn't spay the water very hard around the switches just a little back and forth but i did leave the key in when i washed it. now i am just getting a little grease on the key every time i pull it out. any thoughts? thanks in advance alan
I had a similar problem. Initially, I thought the problem was water, and/or corrosion in the switches, or electrical connections. However, I later discovered I had a bad CDI unit. Here is photograph of my old, damaged CDI unit; notice the bulge where an internal component has ruptured, and failed. :(

Diagnosing electrical problems is not fun; however, you will learn a lot from the experience. Here is a link to the thread where I describe the process I followed diagnosing my failed CDI unit.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8198

The CDI units have failed on several different chinabikes, not just the Zong. If you don't have a spare CDI unit, I strongly encourage you to contact Phil, or Zongshen America, and get one as soon as possible. Even if your CDI unit is good, you want to have a spare one handy. Besides having peace of mind, a spare CDI unit is great for diagnosing engine electrical problems. I have read that a bad CDI unit can cause damage to your stator. I don’t know if this is true, but I also needed to replace my stator several months after I replaced the CDI unit.

I wouldn’t go riding very far until you diagnose this electrical problem, and fix it; otherwise, you could end up stranded in an unpleasant situation.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Spud, I was thinking exactlt the same thing. Sounds like a CDI.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Gio Perf CDI in one of their 200cc Enduro bikes? Put in it my quad find it makes a nice, if minor, improvement. Cheap too, got mine for 15.00 delivered at the time.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #5

I don't think it would work, the Lifanoid units are different. IIRC Spud's CDI cost in the neighborhood of $50. I'd also be thinking of a TW200 CDI off Bike Bandit.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #6

i have fire at the spark plug, i installed a new ngk also but it still wont crank. im gonna check to see if its getting fuel next and then the filter. the cdi looked good. i think i had the petcock right, i have the long handle aimed down and that is run but what way is reserve? i have ran 100 miles on this tank and i see and hear fuel in the tank when i shake the bike so i dont think its out. both times it died it was just like hitting the kill switch, no spitting at all so i thought it was electrical related. thanks alan.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

You are out of gas. A failed CDI would usually not spark.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I don't think it would work, the Lifanoid units are different. IIRC Spud's CDI cost in the neighborhood of $50. I'd also be thinking of a TW200 CDI off Bike Bandit.
I paid $25 for my Zongshen CDI unit, Doc; the TW200 CDI unit costs $116.88. 8O

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...009&fveh=28571
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan566
i have fire at the spark plug, i installed a new ngk also but it still wont crank. im gonna check to see if its getting fuel next and then the filter. the cdi looked good. i think i had the petcock right, i have the long handle aimed down and that is run but what way is reserve? i have ran 100 miles on this tank and i see and hear fuel in the tank when i shake the bike so i dont think its out. both times it died it was just like hitting the kill switch, no spitting at all so i thought it was electrical related. thanks alan.
To switch to the reserve tank you rotate the petcock handle clockwise until the long part of the handle points straight up. Your reserve fuel is only 0.2 gallons, so you can only travel about 15 miles on reserve; therefore, you should try to avoid running on reserve. Fill your fuel tank frequently; when your trip odometer records 100 miles, it is time to get more fuel.
Quote:
You are out of gas. A failed CDI would usually not spark.
I agree; you would not have spark if the CDI unit had failed. I encourage you to top off your fuel tank before you do any other troubleshooting.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #9

I do find my quads here will run better with a full tank of fuel. Even when it's a little low and not yet empty, they can be a bugger to start.

Wasn't there some talk in another thread about how a faulty CDI will spark sometimes but then fail to spark other times? I believe FastDoc mentioned it.. Maybe I'm still sniffing too much glue. :P

Old 04-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
...Wasn't there some talk in another thread about how a faulty CDI will spark sometimes but then fail to spark other times? I believe FastDoc mentioned it.. Maybe I'm still sniffing too much glue. :P
Yes, the CDI can display intermittent failure before it fails completely. When Brian says he has spark, I assume he has a good, reliable spark. Even if his CDI unit appears to be in good condition, I still strongly encourage him to get a spare. The spare CDI unit will help his troubleshooting, and he will have an extra unit on hand if/when his original unit fails.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
I do find my quads here will run better with a full tank of fuel. Even when it's a little low and not yet empty, they can be a bugger to start.

Wasn't there some talk in another thread about how a faulty CDI will spark sometimes but then fail to spark other times? I believe FastDoc mentioned it.. Maybe I'm still sniffing too much glue. :P
I did say that!

You might still be sniffing glue, however.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:

I did say that!

You might still be sniffing glue, however.
Well at least I know I wasn't in a dream like state and had the right person.

If I'm not sniffing glue, I might need to start the way things are going for me these days.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #13

I might need to start the way things are going for me these days.

Copy that brother.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
If I'm not sniffing glue, I might need to start the way things are going for me these days.
Need to come over for beers T?

[/hijack]

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Need to come over for beers T?

[/hijack]
Do you have any scotch??

..as for this thread, it's very possible you got the wiring harness wet. One thing I've learned is these chinese wiring connectors and plugs aren't very good. Stuff gets in there really easy. Perhaps some time drying out in the sun is all it needs.. or disconnecting the white plugs and hosing them out with air and some dielectric(sp?) grease/spray.