Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Gio Mini-Hummer Swingarm Bushing Replacement.

The rear swing arm bushing on the right side on my son's Mini-Hummer wore out. Might be because we ride it tandem every ride. I'm 200 lbs and he's 40 lbs.

Anyway, here is the procedure I followed.
(PS: I have gotten my machinist to make up 6 brass bushings for these little machines. I'm keeping 2, selling the rest.)

This install uses the extra bushing supplied by Gio (Parnus) when they shipped my hummer.

The first step was to dismantle the rear swing arm. After placing the unit on a bike stand, I unbolted the lower bolt on the rear shock, took off the brake caliper, removed the wheels, axle spacers and sprocket.
I then removed the swing arm bolt and placed the item on the work bench.

The left bushing was still 80%, so I left it in. I will replace it with the brass on when it comes in.

The right bushing was gone. Just the outer and inner sleeves were left.

Here is the center spacer tube. It slides over the swing arm bolt and keeps the two bushings apart, at the outer edges on the swing arm.

The unit needs a grease fitting, so I drilled and tapped for a 1/4-28 fitting. I noted that the metal tubing drilled out exceptionally fast. It is very very soft. The Chinese could do themselves a big favour by upping the quality on these frames.

This places the fitting at the top of the swing arm for easy access.

Here's the bolt and center sleeve/spacer.

To remove the old outer bushing sleeve, I first used a file to score the ring in a few places, then used a hammer and flat screwdriver to get it loose.

Pliers got it out the rest of the way.

I set the new bushing in using the bolt and made sure to remember to put the center sleeve/spacer in as the opposite side bushing is still in place and it to remain there till I get the brass bushings. The bolt keeps the pieces in proper alignment until tight.
I greased up the inside of the spacer as it will no get any grease from the fitting. I would need to put some holes in it so the grease nipple can get to it. I also used a 3/4 inch pipe and some other stuff around the bench to get it in. It was actually pretty easy. NO FORCING!

Now the axle spacers that come with the Hummer are crap, so I made two new ones using 3/4" EMT (Electro Mechanical Conduit) Its galvanized and pretty tough in compression. Tougher that stock anyway.
I used a power threader machines cutter to pinch off the lengths. The pinching of the cutting rollers reduces the diameter. I then used the reamer to fine tune the opening to just fit over the splines on the axle. Make sure you pinch cut both ends.

Had a hole in the left rear tire (Slow leak) found the leak by placing the tire in the laundry tub sink then used a $7.00 tire repair kit from Princess Auto to shove in a patch. Its was those long skinny sticky rubber thingies. First time I did that as well. Patch is still holding.

After that, final assembly and all done. Oh ya, pumped it full of grease. Use molybdenum sulfide grease. It apparently repels water.

Remember to mark the placement of the brake rotor and the sprocket. I put the sprocket on the wrong way the first time and it was out of alignment.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #2

Thanks for the detail in your bushing post; nice work. 8)

Do you have a photo of the new bushings?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #3

new bushings will be in in about a week. Pics for sure then.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #4

Nice Job. Still tryin to post my pictures. Any one take an email and post them for me?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfiltered
Nice Job. Still trying to post my pictures. Any one take an email and post them for me?
Yep, just check your PM's in your account. I sent you my email address.
You might also want to create an account in the "gallery" on this site and upload your pics there. That is what I do, then I link the pics into my threads with a line of code.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #6

Im trying to but im not much good at this internet thing. I sent you the pictures. Thanks for helping me out.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Im trying to but im not much good at this internet thing. I sent you the pictures. Thanks for helping me out.
Here are the bushings "Unfiltered" had made up:

In hindsight, I would also suggest that people might want to put a washer between the swingarm and the frame bolt holes. It wears at that point. That may require either bending the frame slightly to make room for the washers or grinding the swingarm a bit (2mm each side).

Old 05-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

They are made so you do not need a washer. I measured the tabs on the frame it was 6 inches. I had them made to fit tight. I put a washer on the outside and locktite. They made a big difference in the bike. He did a good job. I put in a grease fitting and had him take 1/2 inch off each side to allow for grease. The 10mm bolt is a tap fit I had to tap it threw. Well worth the money and should outlast the bike. My next Purchace is a Lathe!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
My next Purchace is a Lathe!
How many times have I said that!

If you had the machinist take 1/2" off each side, what keeps them apart? Maybe I don't get it...

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #10

They wont move i have a little brass spaceer in there.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #11

That's really nice work. 8)

I'm still concerned that the steel bolt in the new steel bushings is going to take all of the wear. If the new bushings were to be drilled out for bronze bushings, the bolt would stand a much better chance.

That is, of course, with the stock bolt in mind. If you're using something harder, it is likely a non-issue.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #12

There is not alot of movement in them. Bolts are alot easier to find then swing arm bushings. Brass inserts are in the plans for the next set.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #13

OK, I finally got the new brass replacement bushings made up. I installed them and they work great. The original and the Gio bushing I had in it was already totally gone by time I got around to this fix this week.

My guy made up 3 sets of these. He charged me $120.00 to do it. I think that was pretty steep. :(

I guess I need my own lathe!

The bushings work great but the mount hole in the frame is wearing bigger and there is now movement of the swingarm bolt within that mount hole. I will now use the new plasma cutter to fashion a piece of metal (8 gauge) to act as a new mount hole for each side. I think I will weld it over the old one (outside) and get a new bolt to accommodate the increase in thickness.

Any suggestions?

Oh...this little atv goes like stink! With both I and my son on it (combined weight 240 or so lbs). I keep laughing in my helmet as this little "toy" hauls us around the track and trails way better that I would have expected. I seem to have it tuned in real nice right now. YeeeeeHaaaaaa! For the $230 bucks plus shipping and upgrade parts, it was soooo worth it!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #14

It's amazing how the 110cc pulls us big folk around isn't it? I drove a mini hummer around a little up on some property and liked it. Never did any trails with it.

$120 seems steep but you'll probably never have to worry about it again...I'd be surprised if one set wears out.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #15

Gio 110 Hummer Swingarm bushing replacement cheap.

I was going to go this route but time was a factor. We were leaving for holidays three days after the 110 Mini Quad quad arrived at the house. Instead I took the spare set of bushings they sent in the box and drilled out the cheap rubber material inside. I left just a sliver of rubber in the centre to keep the bolt sleeve centered in place. I purchased some JB Weld from CDN Tire ($8.00 bucks) and filled in the gaps left from removing the rubber. I removed the old bushings and pounded these new ones in and it has worked great. I did put the zerk fitting in as well. It took me 45 minutes to remove the rubber and fill with JB Weld, then let it sit overnight. Another 1hr to get the stupid old bushings out and new ones in.