Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #1

2x4 sport atv with a plow?

On the way to my work route this morning, I passed by a house that usually has a 2 wheel drive sport atv sitting out front. It looks alot like the 2x4 I just got, same size. However this morning it had a plow attached to the front end!! (Its been a few weeks since Ive gone by this spot and it has snowed more in the past month than all winter!)

Ok.. so its 7:30am, and Ive got my work van.. I can't exactly stop... to check this out.. but I was intrigued by the possiblities. Living in a snow zone any thing other than a shovel, peaks my interest.

Has anyone else successfully placed a plow on the front of their 2x4 sport atv.. and if so how the heck did ya do it and how did it work?

I'm going to try to stop by and strike up a conversation with the owner and get some pic's if I can.. when I'm off duty..

NET

Old 03-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #2

I had a neighbour once who had a 2x4 Yamaha (Kodiak/Timberwolf?) with a plow. Seemed to work ok but he had a small driveway on a slope. He ALWAYS pushed down the driveway.

This rig had a manual lift. Basically a lever attached to the top of the plow. He would reach over the bars, pull up the blade, turn the bike around, and drop the plow for his next run.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #3

Hmm... Thats interesting to hear Frostbite.

Im not adverse to manual blades. It would be alot better than a manual shovel lol.. This driveway was also small.. Mine is in the medium range, but mostly level. Will try to get some pic's. and report back..

Thanks..

NET

Old 03-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #4

I have an Suzuki Ozark with a plow. Works just fine if you use snow chains on the rear tires.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:38 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
My brother cobbed one together that worked well...he used a windshield wiper motor to raise/lower, but I don't remember any other details. I can ask him if you're interested.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 AM   #6

Catastrophix,, I was thinking chains would be helpful. I happen to have a set that would go nicely on these tires.

TheOtherRide, is your brothers atv a sport or utility model? My biggest challenge is going to be adapting a plow system to my sport model. Cool idea with the windshield wiper motor lol.. A picture would be cool. If you could get one.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=3969

Thanks!!

NET

Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #7

I made L-shaped brackets with holes that i mounted between the frame and the footpegs. Then i put a bolt with a "locking pin" in the hole. Takes a few seconds to remove or mount the plow...
The way i mounted the plow will work on a sport ATV too.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #8

Cathastrophix,

Would love to see a picture of it if you get a chance. I didnt see it in your album.. But liked the kawasaki atv with ski's in the front and tracks in the back.

NET

Old 03-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #9

Got some pic's of the sport with a plow, no one was home so these
were just drive by shots. Does anyone recognize the make of this atv?

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=4048

NET

Old 03-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #10

It looks alot like a Honda Fourtrax with a aftermarket seat but it's hard to tell.. I'm sure you can find a plow kit for your quad on the net, you may just have to modify it a bit..

Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #11

Snow Plow

I also wanted a plow for my honda 250x....after seeing some tractor blades plus being a woodworker rather than being a metal worker......I made a box drag....in the shape of a U....that i could pull it worked up to 8 to 10 inches of snow.....a couple of passes would move enough of snow so I could get up and down my driveway...which is 700 feet long gravel.....Id even ran this up and down my road to the main road....amazingly worked well....now this year i tore that design up in favor of a L shaped blade....with the later part angled so that it would shed the snow.....havent tried it yet but no snow yet here in West Virginia..ill add pics when i figure how.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #12

I had a 5 ft blade on the front of my ZSTAR 250C 2wd sport quad and it worked okay with this in mind.
1) had weights on rear end
2) had chains on
3) took smaller swathes with the snow if it was wet
4) sometimes had to take a run at it
5) was very patient and took longer than with what I have now a YAMAHA Grizzly 600cc 4wd

It works but I would suggest watching for a cheap 4wd quad you can rebuild and use that as your snow machine!! That is what I did.