Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #1

new guy

hope its ok for a introduction here...so i have been looking around this forum for a few weeks now, doing my research for the questions i had.

my off brand atv is a kayak 200cc atv, almost a exact copy of the gio beast in every way from body to brakes and motor stuff. so far i dont have any mods but i do have plans..

fmf powercore 2 muffler (just picked up a used one, waiting on it to ship)
performance coil (about to order in the next week)
uni air filter
renthal bars
honda trx 250r front/rear shocks (oem or aftermarket have not decided)
new plastics (very soon)
new car fog lights as they light up 3 times better then the stock headlights

little history about this atv, picked it up off craigslist about a year and a half ago for 200 bucks.. guy said the clutch was bad, kill switch didnt work, carb was busted, and the battery was dead and both rear tires were flat oh and the rear brakes didnt work.. ok so i had a fixer upper not a problem as i am gear head when it comes to cars or mainly mustangs.
got the atv home, changed the spark plug and gapped it at .24-.28 per a sheet i found online with a 200cc honda plug gap chart. lubed up the throttle and clutch cables, got the battery to take a charge and put in some 93 octane ( 93 octane gas is wonderful in it) the atv fired right up. the idle was insanely high and i could not get it down..

fast forward to 3 days ago i figured out i was missing a oring on the carb to intake pipe mounting and the idle screw works differently then normal atv's. i had it set at 1.5 - 2.5 turns out from being tightened down just like every where else on the net said it should be. i got to playing with it more seriously and found out the further out it is the lower the idle so it now idles like a dream.
also did a full rear brake over haul with a new master cylinder, caliper, hosing, pads, and new rotor. they work after a year and half with no rear brakes..

i will be adding pictures tomorrow or today since it is 130am.. just keep in mind the blue plastic had faded to purple in the sun so i sprayed it black. rear tires are mismatched. one of the orignal tires that was on it still holds air and i have a maxxis razr replica tire on the other side that i lucked into for 45 bucks mounted on the rim. ive just started looking into mods since ive had it running perfectly in the last 3 days, i refused to mod something that is not solid in stock form. it just adds to the problem..

so if its not ok to do something like this kind of introduction then mods please delete and my bad for posting it.. would also like to say that this site and more the atv forum is great, answered almost all of my questions.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #2

cant wait to see your pic and welcome to the club where r you from ???
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 08-01-2010, 02:58 AM   #3

austin, tx usa

Old 08-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #4

Mate welcome can't wait to see the pics and thanks for joining us here. Your knowledge is bound to come in handy!!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #5

thanks, but ya the quad isnt really nice in the cosmetics department.. but none the less it is a on going project

Old 08-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
thanks, but ya the quad isnt really nice in the cosmetics department.. but none the less it is a on going project
project are good, post updats like me it all ways fun to read
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 08-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #7

Welcome! It sounds like you're already immersed in the China Riders life style.

One caution on the lights: the stockers (on the Beast) are rated at 18 watts each, and most common halogen lights are 55 watts each. Even if you used only one 55 watt in place of the two original bulbs, you're still drawing an additional 19 watts through the switch and wires.

That might not sound like much, but these are Chinese products, and I'll bet there isn't much left when they quit burning. 8O

One solution is to take the wires that originally went to the bulb sockets and use them to trigger a common relay. Run heavier guage wire from the battery to the load side of the relay and from the relay to the new light. This way, the stock headlight is only switching on a relay, and the relay is switching on the lights. You could then have as many lights as you wish, within th limitations of the relay, added fuses and new wire 9not to mention the stock battery and charging system ).

Apologies if you already knew this stuff. Just MHO. Have fun!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

One caution on the lights: the stockers (on the Beast) are rated at 18 watts each, and most common halogen lights are 55 watts each. Even if you used only one 55 watt in place of the two original bulbs, you're still drawing an additional 19 watts through the switch and wires.

That might not sound like much, but these are Chinese products, and I'll bet there isn't much left when they quit burning. 8O

One solution is to take the wires that originally went to the bulb sockets and use them to trigger a common relay. Run heavier guage wire from the battery to the load side of the relay and from the relay to the new light. This way, the stock headlight is only switching on a relay, and the relay is switching on the lights. You could then have as many lights as you wish, within th limitations of the relay, added fuses and new wire 9not to mention the stock battery and charging system ).

nope i did not know that, my electrical know how is very limited to hooking car audio systems, and gauges in cars.. when i bought the quad it came with the lights hooked up already.. so far since ive had it, i have not noticed any wires getting hot, no burning wire smell, nothing of that nature. but i will look into to running relays

Old 08-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #9

ok so like i said cosmetic wise she is in bad shape, used zip ties to stich the cracked plastic back together which worked amazingly. front wheels are black and i ran out of black paint paint before being able to do the rear wheels cuz i painted the rear hubs black.. in the picture with the seat removed you can clearly see how purple the plastics had faded too and i will not ride a purple quad. its a little to girlyish for me

i got ride of the plastic peice that holds the lights between the bars, didnt like it. then i switched to some indicator lights from autozone white for nutral and red for reverse.. thats what the lights under the ignition switch are for

Old 08-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #10

Hey mate it doesn't look too bad.

Those front shocks def. need to go!

Looks very much like our beasts parts are probably interchangeable. The front lower motor mount does look a bit different to me though, from memory..

Old 08-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #11

i just painted the front shocks yesterday, the top cap where they mount was a faded read, and then the sleeve over the springs was chrome with rust spots.. so i just went ahead and spready the top cap and chrome tube red.

they work so for now i want to get my fmf pipe installed, intake, and performance coil on the quad then i will look into shocks. been holding off cuz the trx250r shocks are fairly expensive.. looking at 200 to 300 for front shocks alone..

got a few questions i cant find the answer too

i know that putting that fmf powercore 2 pipe and uni filter on is going to cause a lean condition. the quad came with a pz30 carb on it, i cant find a jetting kit for it. are all jets the same ? like can i buy a honda or yamaha jetting kit and the jets will screw in ?

also when the quad is cold i can see the oil in the sight sitting at just above the high mark. but when i start it, the oil disappears out of the sight, all i can see is the oil pick up peice through the sight.. is that normal or should i add oil to where it is at the high mark while the bike is warmed up

Old 08-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #12

TurboT, the mount is the same as ours. Aside from the front bush guard, this quad is identical to the Beast.

mizke, TurboT is right on the shock comment. even if you score some Gio front shocks for now, you're miles ahead. Not only will the stockers shake your fillings loose, they'll pound the control arm bushings.

Not sure on the official designation, but we have 30mm Mikuni carbs instead of the stock 27mm. I don't buy jet kits, I only buy individual jets from the local Yamaha dealer for peanuts. I went with a 22.5 pilot and a 110 main (up from 20 and 100).

Read the oil level when the engine is off only. Once you start it, the oil pump slings oil up to the rockers. Hot or cold doesn't matter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #13

look like you got your self a good project, keep us posted

Quote:

ya on my besat i got a pair of H6M Headlight Bulb 45/45w blue Xenon, they fitted no problem and lit up great and night but they melter my head light casing :( so i went back to stock for now. do any of you know want i can do ?? i want blue bulb or even a hid kit but i dont want to melt my headlight again

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #14

Quote:
TurboT, the mount is the same as ours. Aside from the front bush guard, this quad is identical to the Beast.

mizke, TurboT is right on the shock comment. even if you score some Gio front shocks for now, you're miles ahead. Not only will the stockers shake your fillings loose, they'll pound the control arm bushings.

Not sure on the official designation, but we have 30mm Mikuni carbs instead of the stock 27mm. I don't buy jet kits, I only buy individual jets from the local Yamaha dealer for peanuts. I went with a 22.5 pilot and a 110 main (up from 20 and 100).

Read the oil level when the engine is off only. Once you start it, the oil pump slings oil up to the rockers. Hot or cold doesn't matter.
i have a pz30 carb on it, thats what was on it when i got it.. so im just trying to figure out what brand jets or where i need to go to get a few..

Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfa18
look like you got your self a good project, keep us posted

Quote:

ya on my besat i got a pair of H6M Headlight Bulb 45/45w blue Xenon, they fitted no problem and lit up great and night but they melter my head light casing :( so i went back to stock for now. do any of you know want i can do ?? i want blue bulb or even a hid kit but i dont want to melt my headlight again
a hid is going to melt it.. i think about the only thing you can really do is go buy some fog lights from a auto parts store.. they have small ones that might be able to fit inside the stock head light housing.. then drill some holes in the back side of the housing to all the hot air to escape the housing.. they do make fog lights that are pretty small and the lens is tinted blue..

i will go tomorrow to autozone and snap a picture on my cell of the fog lights i am talking about