Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #1

tao tao suspension

Hi all, I purchased a Tao Tao 110cc utility body atv for my 6 year old son about three months ago. It's his first atv and so far has served us well as he progresses and learns to ride. The biggest issue is the front suspension. He only weighs 45 lbs and its to stiff, to the point where its holding back his progress. I've contacted Zaksatvzone.com who has numerous shocks listed for chinese atvs but the rep really had no idea about what they were selling and had nothing to offer. The eye to eye length with the shocks mounted is 11" rear and 10.5" front which I suspect is 11" because the shocks all look the same.If it helps they have black springs and are adjusted to the softest setting. Does anyone have and idea or suggestion where I can purchase replacement shocks? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #2

The "ideal" situation would to be replace the springs with lighter springs, but I don't have a clue where you would buy them.

I would try moped shocks......

http://www.treatland.tv/category-s/118.htm

https://www.1977mopeds.com/parts/Suspension/Sus0/

Both reputable dealers of moped parts, and both have served me well in the past, and recently.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #3

Welcome!

If you found new springs, are you comfortable installing them on the existing shocks? If so, check out this eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.ca/SHOCK-ABSORBER-SP...item5d2c8f98eb

I typed "atv shock" into eBay, and selected lowest price first. There were 866 returns for atv shock.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #4

Hi jmk

One of the largest issues I found with ToaTao 110cc ATVs {depending on the model}, are the front shocks are to long for the vehicles.

The ATA 110B/B1/B3, ATA110 H1/H4 have these issues. The length of the lower A-Arm is short & the shocks are too long to operate correctly. You may want to try a shorter front shock.

The other issue I have found with the shocks they use is they have no damping for rebound. The shock just slams/jumps back to it's stock position.

Parts for Scooters.com sells some pretty nice/fair to really very good quality shocks for smaller ATVs & Dirt bikes.

Here is a link for them... http://www.partsforscooters.com/s.nl...SJOURNEYCYCLES
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
The other issue I have found with the shocks they use is they have no damping for rebound. The shock just slams/jumps back to it's stock position.
I took one of the shocks apart on my sons 50cc GIO mini ATV and found it wasn't really a shock, just a steel rod in a tube so it was basically riding on a spring with no damping or rebound at all, i also found the springs were preloaded too much, i cut 3/4" of each spring and now it is a bit better but still a bit stiff.
The effective spring rate will change depending on the angle the shock is mounted at, so if it's too stiff you may be able to make new mounts to give the shock more angle, 10-15 degrees more will make a difference.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #6

Thanks guys,

EJ
the info about the shocks being a little long makes sense. I measured the fronts at just under 11". The shocks do mount almost perpendicular to the ground which leads me to believe that shorter may be better. How much shorter do you think I should go? Also how do you think it will affect the handling with the stock rear shock?

Old 12-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #7

You can determine the optimal shock length with a little testing. Place the front end of the atv on a jackstand and remove one shock (not the wheel though). Cycle the wheel up and down through the range, and see if bumpsteer exists. If it does, try to select a shock that allows the wheel to travel up and down without turning left or right spontaneously.

Don't worry about ride height too much; bumpsteer is the paramount issue.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
I took one of the shocks apart on my sons 50cc GIO mini ATV and found it wasn't really a shock, just a steel rod in a tube so it was basically riding on a spring with no damping or rebound at all...
Unreal, although I kinda suspected this. My kid's Taotao 110D is the same deal. Even with the shock adjusting collars set to it's 'softest' setting, they barely compress with my 225lb arse on the machine! When they do, they're just like little pogo sticks. BOING....BOING....BOING. IMO, the only alternative would be to try to swap shocks with a hi dollar name brand kids machine. You see TONS of outfits selling these replacement (Chinese machine) shocks. I suspect they're all just a spring loaded rod in a tube.

Joel