Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

More help needed

As mentioned in previous post,I bought 2-new taotao 250E, towed one home after 20-min. use because it died and would not restart. Acted like not getting fuel, though fuel was fine as was spark. Told to send carbs back to have jets bored so more fule would be had. Place one returned carb into atv that ran ok when bought and had no issues during my 10-test MIn ride.
Placed 2nd carb in atv I towed home and it fired right up, but when given full throttle it would not take it and just sputtered. let off throttle it ran a few seconds and then died. Tried restarting and it just turned over and acted like it wasn't getting fuel again. it sat a few seconds, started then died and same thing again, just turn over and acted like not getting fuel though I no it is along with spark.
Any idea's would be apreciated as always and thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #2

seems like it could be the jetting is off.. they shouldnt have had to bore the jets..

what kind of carb do you have on them ? if its not the mikuni performance 30mm carb, you might want to think about upgrading as the jets for those are very common standard mikuni jets that are easy to replace so you can fine tune how the quads run by simply adding a larger jet untill it runs right.. there is a lot of info in the atv section on rejetting a quad, i think there is some in the sticky at the top of this page..

Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #3

Could you have a kink in the fuel line? I've seen that be a problem.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #4

To piggyback on Doc's logic, I wonder if the petcock has a filter that might be clogged. Is there a petcock on the tank that the fuel hose connects to, or does the hose simply connect to a barb?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #5

atv has no pet cock and there are no kinks in fuel line. Note that came back with returned carbs from the mech. said he adjusted float bowls and jetted carbs for his area (Mich. & I live in wa. state)and then mentioned how to lean or inrich carbs which ever the case may be needed for my area.
Figured if the carb I placed in the atv that ran pretty good worked fine before sending carbs off, then the carb I placed in the atv I had to tow home ,should have been also and there for there must be another issue with the atv it self as it's seem to be the main problem child.
If it's the enricher and it doesn't want to run when throttle is wide open and it just wants to bog down and pop when throttled and doe's not want to restart after dying, which do I need the carb to be "Richer or Leanerso I no which way to adjust the screw. Also can this be a CDI- issue ?
Worst case senario I can swap carbs and see what happens then but it's a pain. Thanks again for the advise.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #6

for got to mention brand of carbs are unknown to me though the sellsman did say they were japanese and good carb's.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #7

Doc, sounds like he is requesting a house call.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Doc, sounds like he is requesting a house call.
What's his insurance? 8)

Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #9

Ok guys, here's new info for some possible solutions.
atv starts up fine but don't want to take full throttle untill some feathering of the throttle is done and eventualy proper throttle response is gained. After shutting down, I have found my sprak disapears at plug until it sits awhile and then the cycle is repeated with throttle responce worked thru ,atv ran and then loss of spark at plug till it sits awhile again and on and on.
What do I have going on here ? a bad coil or CDI, Both ? as fuel issue or carb issue doe's not seem to be the issue
Thanks for any solutions people may have.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #10

Have you changed the plug? If not, pop a new NGK in there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #11

new nkg plug installed so this isn't issue. Has to be some thing electrical is my guess since I'll have spark one moment and none the next. Also because of my throttle issue, would think that it is connected to it also. Have read that a coil,cdi,stator, can all be possible culprits. any way to elemenate each, one at a time with out purchasing one of each ?
or any more idea's what can be causing this I haven't checked or read about yet ? thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #12

I got to ask......why two threads on the same thing ???

Old 04-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #13

Agreed. Please post your question in one relevant thread, and people will find it.

My guess is the CDI.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #14

rear brakes

Both my atv 250-E tao's rear brakes drag causing slow down and my calipers to get overly hot.
Any suggestions that will end this delima. Thanks