Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #1

Rust Paint Atv

Certain parts on the atv are beginning to develop rust, especially the welding spots..

What do you forum members usually do in order to prevent rust on atv. Do you normally sand down certain spots and paint it with anti-rust paint?

I was thinking of painting certain important welds with anti rust paint. My atv muffler mounts already came off, leaving me no choice but to purchase a performance exhaust from giobikes...

Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #2

No rust so far, but I'd clean it with a wire wheel and then coat it with Tremclad and a disposable foam brush. I get 'em by the bag at the Dollar Store. Much easier than masking and spraying.

Did you ever buy a welder?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

Re: Rust Paint Atv

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
Certain parts on the atv are beginning to develop rust, especially the welding spots..

What do you forum members usually do in order to prevent rust on atv. Do you normally sand down certain spots and paint it with anti-rust paint?

I was thinking of painting certain important welds with anti rust paint. My atv muffler mounts already came off, leaving me no choice but to purchase a performance exhaust from giobikes...
I haven't completely confirmed it, but any of the rust spots I am seeing at joints on my T3, the tube and/or welds are cracked. Still have broken frame tubes on both sides, right behind the foot pegs where it curves up.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

sounds like some one needs a welder, if the frame is cracking at the joints its best to do some rewelding to reinforce those areas.. then spray it with some paint and call it a day

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

I never got around to buying a welder. Problem with purchasing one is the fact that I don't even know how to use it, since all I have used before was oxy/fuel welder. Tanks are expensive...so only option is mig or arc welder, which I don't know how to use.. :(