Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #1

ZSTAR 250C/ SHINERAY STIXE 250 motor sounds siezed

SO ATV had been ran hard for the last 3 days by kids in 3 acre yard, then out on a 20KM trail ride with abuddy.
We got home and about 10 minutes of running it supposedly just stopped and did a minor smoke for a few seconds.
Upon tryin to restart it the starter goes CLICK (not a solenoid sound) and stops like it can't turn anymore.
We tried to push hard really fast on a hill and then throw it into 1st (which normally rolls a bit then will roll start) but tonight the rear end locks up like motor is siezed.

Anyone have any advice on rebuild or what it could be???

Slight rattle earlier on the long trail ride near the en after it had been rolled sideways too. Maybe a piston rod at bottom of engine came loose, rings jammed, etc.

Anyone know a good shop in Vancouver, BC area to work on ZSTAR? Or for parts if I do it myself?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #2

Doesn't sound good, but remove the spark plug, starter and chain before you give up hope. See if you can turn the engine over with a wrench on the flywheel nut, which I presume to be behind the left side cover (expect some oil loss).

I've never taken a machine in for service, so I can't recommend anyone. I go to Saga in Langley for parts. Neil and Dawn are both very friendly and helpful.

I'd steer clear of Sinclairs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice Weld..

I will try all that tonight.

I knew to avoid Sinclairs even though the Zatar importer in Richmond keeps telling me to go there. I keep telling them to get a new retailer as Sinclair's sucks.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 AM   #4

then again I am on a client site and it is 1AM, maybe not dong it tonight or tomorrow after all.

I just want sleep, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #5

well I finally had 1 hour to spare this afternoon. I did as Weld said and motor did not turn.
So I opened the oil cleanout on the side of the motor AFTER draining the oil and found a lot of small fingernail sized chunks of metal. I assume the piston pod or piston went boom to jam the engine like this.
Top end of the engine when the values are is completely fine and the transmission side is completely fine too so it is clearly obvious it is in the piston, camshaft area.

Has anyone here rebuilt one of these. I called ZSTAR and they cannot order parts until late Sept. Sinclairs are useless for parts but SAGA Motorsports said they MAY be able to get me the parts I need or a full motor if I so choose.
This is the same motor as in the newer XY250STXE Shineray atv's so depending the cost I may just buy a new one and be running sooner plus have one for "Some" good parts.

Hey Weld, have you rebuilt any china atv motors? and you are in lower mainland area correct? DO you have any other suggestions for place for parts??

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #6

I haven't rebuilt a China motor (yet), but I'd look to eBay for parts. I bet that you'll find a cylinder and piston kit for cheap. Search using generic terms like "dirt bike cylinder", "atv piston"; stuff like that. Most of the items that are posted on eBay for China stuff is done by non-technical people.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCKSR
well I finally had 1 hour to spare this afternoon. I did as Weld said and motor did not turn.
So I opened the oil cleanout on the side of the motor AFTER draining the oil and found a lot of small fingernail sized chunks of metal. I assume the piston pod or piston went boom to jam the engine like this.
Top end of the engine when the values are is completely fine and the transmission side is completely fine too so it is clearly obvious it is in the piston, camshaft area.

Has anyone here rebuilt one of these. I called ZSTAR and they cannot order parts until late Sept. Sinclairs are useless for parts but SAGA Motorsports said they MAY be able to get me the parts I need or a full motor if I so choose.
This is the same motor as in the newer XY250STXE Shineray atv's so depending the cost I may just buy a new one and be running sooner plus have one for "Some" good parts.

Hey Weld, have you rebuilt any china atv motors? and you are in lower mainland area correct? DO you have any other suggestions for place for parts??
got pic of that motor??? r u selling that motor ?? if u are pm me
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #8

not selling it even if I buy a new one. It is a chinese quad, I am keeping any spare part I can.

I more than likely am going to rebuild it.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #9

found a guy here in Vancouver that sells all new engines for $450.

Now if he will only email me back from my ebay question I sent him.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #10

So I had time to rip apart the engine today and found it was only a piston twisted sideways in the cylinder.
Amazingly there is not a single scar or scratch on the cylinder BUT the piston is wasted:

but luckily I found the piston needed on eBay and it can be here in less than a week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
and while it is all apart and I am at it here is a new gasket set cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/250cc...Q5fAccessories

Now to see tomorrow if I can get them locally that day or if I need to order them.
I can't wait to get it out riding again. I could ride the blue atv but I am kind of partial to my red one.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #11

How does that even happen? Do you think the engine hydro-locked?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #12

I think it was over revved and low oil plus there may have been some initial damage on lower skirt of the piston when I rolled it sideways earlier in the day.

SO a combination of the three things and we get the piston twisted in cylinder is my bet.

I should have taken a picture of it in the cylinder with the head off, it was a sight to see.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #13

10Pm tonight I had it all back together and it fired up on first try. I let it idle for 10 minutes in garage then shut it down to check and tighten any bolts/nuts that just incase. Fresh synthectic oil plug, piston, rings and top end gaskets and it is purring nicer than it ever has since I have owned it.

I could not resist at 11PM to throw on a helmet and go for a quick spin. (I will not say where as I am pleading the 5th.)

BUT IT IS RUNNING AWESOME, can't wait to take my niece and nephews riding this weekend now.

Jane (at ZStar) got me all the parts but the piston pin clips which I found at the Yamaha dealer on Westminster HWY just before Annacis Island. I am soooo happy to have it running again.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #14

That's awesome! Did you use the standard bore size?

Where is Z-Star located?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #15

Yes I did the 67mm piston.

ZStar Enterprises Inc is in Richmond on a little side road behind the Home Depot on Bridgeport Road.

They import Shineray ATV's under their own name. My ZSTAR 250C is really a Shineray STIXE 9E.

I had to reweld one of the motor mounts this morning I guess I broke when it rolled over and put a weld to strengthen where the handle bars had been bent.

But it sounds good and went for another rip to test it and I am sure it has more get up and go than a month ago.

Closed Thread