View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 AM   #1

Adding brake lights with 4-wire turn signals - Part 1

I have a solution to our weak brake light ... add more brake lights

The idea is to replace our stock turn signals with a four wire version that has an integrated running light, turn signal and brake light. The outside half of the light is a flashing yellow turn signal. The inside is a red running light. When the brakes are applied, the red becomes brighter. The yellow continues to flash while the brakes are applied.

In Part 1, I install the new turn signals and connect the turn signal and ground wires. Part 2 ... connecting the running light and brake light ... will have to wait until my 3.5 mm bullet connectors arrive.

To do the hard part (signal installation), all you need is the 4-wire turn signal. It comes with a clear, smoke or red lens, and a black or chrome housing. But functionally they are all identical. I got the clear ones with black housing at this link ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162085844414
Or from the sellers page (need_for_parts) if this listing expires ...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/need_for_par...1&_ipg=&_from=
Or search for 'Motorcycle Integrated LED Turn Signals & Tail Light' in ebay.

The third pic compares the new signal to stock. They are nearly identical. The 4-wire module is slightly shorter, but has more LEDs inside. Its stem is also shorter and not as flexible. The wires terminate in 3.5mm bullet connectors just like our stock turn signals

Wire colors:
  • Black = Ground
  • Yellow = Yellow turn signal
  • Red = Red brake light
  • White = Red running light

Before you start working, test the new turn signals to make sure each light works. You can usually use a 9 volt battery. Or remove the bikes electrical panel and test them using the constant power brown + and green ground license plate wires. Plug in black to green and then touch yellow, red and white to brown one at a time.
Attached Images

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 06-27-2016 at 03:28 AM.