Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Bilt Techno Bluetooth Adventure Motorcycle Helmet

I have had a chance to use this helmet for about 4000 miles now and I have to say its a very nice piece of equipment if you are looking for communication between rider/passenger or rider/rider. Here are some of the features and my thoughts on each.
http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Techno...orcycle-Helmet

Hi-tech injection molded ABS full-face shell (seems very solid with no rattles or squeeks)

Quality paint with double lacquer or flat matte finish (Mine has bounced off the ground a few times with minimal scratches and dings)

Full-face solid shell (always wear full-face your teeth will thank you)

Integrated DWO-3 Bluetooth system offers the following functions :
Mobile phone communication (works very well I don't normally take or place calls while riding)

Intercom - rider to rider, rider to passenger (very clear communication although the mic is voice or noise activated and wind can keep it open if the boom mic drops too low. The range is limited to line of sight and can get fuzzy around corners or over hills but has a pretty good range 1/4 mile or more)

GPS navigation instructions (very nice feature with GPS I use with the Garmin Zumo 660)

MP3 connectivity (Load all my music onto a Micro SD on my Garmin or smartphone and off I go, nice clear sound)

Double D-ring safety fastening (same as most all helmets)

Quick release clear shield fitted as standard (does not distort your view except at the extreme bottom edge)

Separate flip-down tinted sun shield (now this thing is the single most used feature on my helmet, not to dark and not too light no need for sunglasses)

Removable injection molded visor (Very nice for keeping the glare of direct sun out of your eyes and does not rattle in the wind)

Chin-bar airflow vent with metal mesh (close this when raining or it will hit your face but works great)

Removable air-flow comfort padded lining (worn lining can be replaced, snapped in and out for cleaning)

Meets or Exceeds DOT standards (don't really want to test this part but seems very well made)

Here is the Warranty as stated by Cycle Gear:
BiLt offers a 5 year warranty on all their gear. Warranties would cover manufacturing defects like seams, Velcro, zippers, snap failure, as well as electronics and moving mechanisms in the helmet. It does not cover wear and tear, misuse, or damaged due to an accident.

Last edited by Tiger12XC; 10-12-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger12XC View Post
Full-face solid shell (always wear full-face your teeth will thank you)
That guidance is 30 years too late.

Quote:
MP3 connectivity (Load all my music onto a Micro SD and off I go, nice clear sound)
Please explain. Does the helmet have an MP3 player, or is it played through the Garmin?

Quote:
Separate flip-down tinted sun shield (now this thing is the single most used feature on my helmet, not to dark and not too light no need for sunglasses)
As an eyeglass wearer, that is indeed a nice feature.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #3

The helmet does not have an MP3 player it connects to media either through the Garmin or your smartphone, and the Helmet can control music track and volume with the large knob on the side. You can pause or stop playback. If your phone has voice dialing this feature works with the helmet.

Since the Garmin has a feature to allow you to connect your phone through it you get all the features, Garmin turn by turn, Garmin media or phone media, Calls via Garmin or phone (on my Zumo 660 the caller ID shows who is calling I can accept or reject the call), the intercom system is on a different and separate Bluetooth channel and only gets cut out when your on a call, listening to music, or getting turn by turn directions then returns to normal when directions are completed. Another helmet can call up your helmet and interrupt the media.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
As an eyeglass wearer, that is indeed a nice feature.
Yes it is a very nice feature. The flip down tinted visor looks like one you would see on a fighter pilots helmet. When its hot I often only ride with the tinted visor down.
My local Cycle Gear keeps both replacement visors in stock. The visors are scratch resistant both are still flawless.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

Those are all wonderful features. In order to take advantage of them, I'd need a quieter muffler.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Nice review. How is the wind noise with the sun visor on? Also, how do you charge it ... is the bluetooth unit removable or to you plug in the helmet somehow?

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 10-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Thanks for posting the excellent review.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Nice review. How is the wind noise with the sun visor on? Also, how do you charge it ... is the bluetooth unit removable or to you plug in the helmet somehow?
I only notice wind noise from the sun visor when I rolled my head back far enough that it catches under the lip, otherwise it goes right over or through the slats cut in it with little sound. There is a vent on top that I forgot to mention.

Charging is done via mini USB via a pigtail between the shell and the foam padding at the neck line in the rear of the helmet. We charged them from the bikes USB's we installed under the rear seats wired direct to the batteries.

http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-USB-Outlet

Old 10-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #9

Thumbs Up

Great review, I will be buying a couple dual sport bikes soon and everything else that goes with riding. I was on the fence about which helmets to get, you helped me make my decision.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1nonly View Post
Great review, I will be buying a couple dual sport bikes soon and everything else that goes with riding. I was on the fence about which helmets to get, you helped me make my decision.
Funny thing is we had just bought two HJC helmets and installed the Sena SMH 5 intercom systems on them. We then found these and loved them so much we replaced the HJC helmets after one week. We sold the HCJ helmets at slight loss but much happier with the BILT helmets.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #11

How many people can be on intercom at the same time?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
How many people can be on intercom at the same time?
Here is some info I found on the intercom operation of the helmets, looks like up to three can talk at the same time. Below is also the link to the owners manual I hope this helps.

1. Pairing Intercom Headsets
1.1 Please press and hold Button 1 until Red/Blue lights flashes alternately to
enter Pairing Model.
1.2 Short press Button 1 of either headset, it will search the other one which in
pairing state, and then try to pair with it.
Note: Please do not press both Button 1 while starting the search operation !
1.3 Within a few seconds, both headsets will turn off the red light, and then
flashing slowly in blue. Pairing is finished.
1.4 To pair with another headset, repeat the above steps please.
2. After pairing successfully, just short press either of Button 1, then the intercom
function will be activated.
3. Pairing is a one time process. Once the headsets are paired during this setup
procedure, they will remain paired and automatically recognize each other whenever
they are within available range.
4. Either of headset users wants to end the intercom talking function, just short press
either of Button 1, and then the intercom function will be terminated.
5. Mobile phone has highest priority. Mobile phone call can interrupt the intercom
call. The intercom will be restored automatically after phone call ended.
6. User can select to talk with the second rider or the third one (connect 3 riders
at the same time)
6.1 Either of the talking riders wants to talk with the third one, just double click
button 2, and then it will connect with the third rider
who is on Standby.
6.2 The third rider who is in the standby state can initiate to call the other two
who are in talking state, just double click button 2 to call
the Riders.
6.3 The rider who been called will hear“dududu”, and the called rider can double
click button 2 to accept and incoming intercom request, or just do nothing to
ignore the request.

http://www.cyclegear.com/medias/sys_...3302946846.pdf

Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Funny thing is we had just bought two HJC helmets and installed the Sena SMH 5 intercom systems on them. We then found these and loved them so much we replaced the HJC helmets after one week. We sold the HCJ helmets at slight loss but much happier with the BILT helmets.
I still like my HJC I can't complain when Amazon sold me a few $350+ HJC helmets for under $80 each one day ($74.XX for one and 79.XX for a second)

That said... I wouldn't recommend paying full price on them, the ones I got have too much wind noise for that hefty price tag. Protection is great don't get me wrong there, I know my noggin is safe while I have my HJC(s) on... just too much wind sound above 50mph in my experience with them, and most of my riding is in the 40 - 80mph

Find a few helmets you like (go try a few on) and then put them in your Amazon cart... wait just the right time and BAM!!! Helmets for cheap (I might have been really lucky that day though)

Great review on that Bluetooth Helmet, might have to check it out if I get a chance to see it in person somewhere

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I still like my HJC I can't complain when Amazon sold me a few $350+ HJC helmets for under $80 each one day ($74.XX for one and 79.XX for a second)
same happened to me - I spied one for 80$ and even though it wasn't the color I wanted the price was too good to pass up

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250