Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
There certainly is evidence to support that max power is found between 12:1 and 13:1. If I had access to tuning software, I'd certainly add a little more fuel to see what happens. What is the opinion of the dyno operator?
While I think you're right, for legal/emissions reasons, the dyno operator suggested that I enjoy the RX3 as is, and if I were seeking more power, perhaps a bigger bike would be an option.

I can understand his response... the California Air Resources Board and EPA are really cracking down on shops, and this shop has former employees from some of the big aftermarket exhaust / tuning companies. They did say that any sort of tuning would require that the bike be off-road only and towed in and leave on a trailer.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with the power the RX3 puts out. It hauls my heft around to 83.x mph (GPS speed) on a flat and level highway, and does fine at a 75 mph cruise. I think there's some power to to be hand by richening the mixture to the 12.5-13.0:1 range. But it won't be inexpensive to come by.

As an old hot-rodder, I too am always curious about what other efficiencies can be gained to free up power. It looks like Zongshen did a fine job and, short of degreeing and reprofiling the cam and adjusting ignition and fuel (all expensive routes to take), Zongshen did a fine job of maximizing the power output of the RX3. As a close friend (and fellow Ford enthusiast) stated, this is the equivalent of 440 rear wheel horsepower from a 5.0 V8 normally aspirated engine. Very impressive power output for the displacement.