Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #1

Hello

Hello all. I just order a Hawk 250 DLX EFI. I’ve already started to order upgraded performance parts for it. I’m wanting to leave the stock exhaust pipe in it for now because I’ve not seen any that will work with the efi . But I want to cut it right before going into the stock muffler and putting a stubby tip on it. Does anyone know what size the outside diameter of the pipe is at that location? I plan on eliminating the air box and switching over to filters for both the intake and breather tube what size do I need to order for those thank you and advance and can’t wait to start posting pictures and more details as my build continues!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:35 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmRider View Post
Hello all. I just order a Hawk 250 DLX EFI. I’ve already started to order upgraded performance parts for it. I’m wanting to leave the stock exhaust pipe in it for now because I’ve not seen any that will work with the efi . But I want to cut it right before going into the stock muffler and putting a stubby tip on it. Does anyone know what size the outside diameter of the pipe is at that location? I plan on eliminating the air box and switching over to filters for both the intake and breather tube what size do I need to order for those thank you and advance and can’t wait to start posting pictures and more details as my build continues!
Highly recommend you not remove the airbox on an efi bike. Even a shorter exhaust can put it out of the air fuel correction range. For example slipons on any sport bike with efi require a tuning module to richen the mixture. You could easily run the bike lean and melt a hole in the piston or inflict other damage.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
Highly recommend you not remove the airbox on an efi bike. Even a shorter exhaust can put it out of the air fuel correction range. For example slipons on any sport bike with efi require a tuning module to richen the mixture. You could easily run the bike lean and melt a hole in the piston or inflict other damage.
That’s not what I was wanting to hear... ☹️

Old 03-18-2021, 11:43 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
That’s not what I was wanting to hear... ☹️
That's how it goes sometimes.
What are your goals? Another 2hp? With all due respect if you wanted a powerful bike you went the wrong direction. The engine it has is well suited for the bike and generally a well engineered efi bike doesnt leave much power on the tuning table until you go in depth with the motor, which would be silly on these bikes. I think also you will probably be satisfied with the power for whats its worth.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:48 PM   #5

Quote:
That's how it goes sometimes.
What are your goals? Another 2hp? With all due respect if you wanted a powerful bike you went the wrong direction. The engine it has is well suited for the bike and generally a well engineered efi bike doesnt leave much power on the tuning table until you go in depth with the motor, which would be silly on these bikes. I think also you will probably be satisfied with the power for whats its worth.
Wanting to make the bike a bit louder and flow a bit more air through it. I’m not a fan of how the stock exhaust looks and was wanting to change it to something more my style. Radiant Cycles Shorty GP Exhaust for 1.5" Universal 1 1/2" Custom BLACK

Old 03-18-2021, 11:51 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Wanting to make the bike a bit louder and flow a bit more air through it. I’m not a fan of how the stock exhaust looks and was wanting to change it to something more my style.
Again with all due respect you havent heard it yet so how do you know you want it to be louder?

I'm not hating, just trying to get you to think some of this stuff through before you go throwing money around. Totally understand wanting a certain look or sound. Advice is free and worth every penny.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Again with all due respect you havent heard it yet so how do you know you want it to be louder?

I'm not hating, just trying to get you to think some of this stuff through before you go throwing money around. Totally understand wanting a certain look or sound. Advice is free and worth every penny.
I do thank you for the advise and your opinion when it comes to the efi and what it maybe able to handle.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:41 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
I do thank you for the advise and your opinion when it comes to the efi and what it maybe able to handle.
If you want to do some real R&D, purchase a laser thermometer. If a mod raises the head pipe temp significantly its a good sign youre running lean. Any popping or fire from the exhaust is also an indicator. With this model being so new, the efi parameters are unknown and reprogramming the fuel map is probably impossible for the average person. On the other hand we will never know the possibilities until someone does try.

Old 03-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:

Head to the Dual sport subforum and search around for the DLX. I know it's newer so people have some limited experience with it. If it's mostly sound you're after there's probably a way to do that without changing the tune much. Sometimes you can drill the baffles out a bit. If the DLX has the same issue as the carb hawk, the cat inside the head pipe is the most restrictive point for exhaust flow.

I'd do some searching before getting to excited one way or the other. Oh and welcome to the forum, please enjoy your stay

PS - Motocheez over on youtube has a Hawk DLX but I'm not sure what all he's done to it yet for modifications. Not sure he's touched the exhaust at all.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 03-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #10

With the FI models of these 250's, you'll be left out of the performance mod side of things until a piggy-back fuel controller or ECU performance mapping become available, if at all

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #11

i went for the carb hawk for this exact reason. wanted to tinker with it and make it my own! got my nibbi in the mail today! WOOT WOOT.....just waiting for the hawk now.lol