Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #1

Help me decide on my next dual sport

I'm looking to replace my sporster with a nice dual sport I've tried a couple years to get in to the bike and it's just not for me. I've also had a couple sportbikes there fun but not as fun as a good dual sport to me. I have an xpect and plan on keeping it for the wife to learn on. But I'm wanting a dual sport with more go if it's going to be my primary bike. I'll probably ride the bike 80-90% of the time on the road but I sometimes hit up some woods trails. Which bike do you think would best suite my needs thanks.

Bikes I'm considering

Gpx tse250r

Gpx fse 450r

Kawasaki klx300

Honda xr650l

Suzuki drz 400

2019 Lifan Xpect

2016 Harley Davidson Roadster

Old 07-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #2

I had a DRZ400 and I wish I never sold it, but I spend a fair amount of time in the dirt with it. The XR650 is a tried and true bike but it's a big pig too. I've not been on the KLX personally and I'm not familiar with GPX at all so I can't speak to those.

I know if I get another Jap bike, I'm looking to get a DRZ again.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 07-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

DR650 is not much more than the DRZ.

However I don't speak with any experience.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
I had a DRZ400 and I wish I never sold it, but I spend a fair amount of time in the dirt with it. The XR650 is a tried and true bike but it's a big pig too. I've not been on the KLX personally and I'm not familiar with GPX at all so I can't speak to those.

I know if I get another Jap bike, I'm looking to get a DRZ again.
That's the only thing I really dislike about the xr is the weight I'm really wanting a bike that's 300lbs or less which both the gpx's comein well under. If I got a gpx I'm leaning towards the tse250r 2 stroke I think it be so fun on the street. But the xr has lots of tq and is well known to be super reliable.

2019 Lifan Xpect

Old 07-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #5

If you’re wanting brand new then another good option 2021 CRF300L there is a dealer in Arkansas that will sell them for $5734 out the door.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 07-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss27gogeta View Post
That's the only thing I really dislike about the xr is the weight I'm really wanting a bike that's 300lbs or less which both the gpx's comein well under. If I got a gpx I'm leaning towards the tse250r 2 stroke I think it be so fun on the street. But the xr has lots of tq and is well known to be super reliable.

Ya the DRZ will in right around that weight also....hands down that would be my personal preference. I'm intrigued by the GPX's though. is the 250r oil injection or you have to use premix?

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 07-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
Ya the DRZ will in right around that weight also....hands down that would be my personal preference. I'm intrigued by the GPX's though. is the 250r oil injection or you have to use premix?
It's oil injected.

2019 Lifan Xpect

Old 07-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #8

The FSEs would be a good option, but they're dual sports like a KTM EXC is a dual sport, so more enduro/race oriented chassis-wise, but with a good, durable and streetable motor that should last a long time. You might want a more comfortable seat made, but I would love to have one of them for similar purposes to what you're intending.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #9

Beta 390? My friend has one and i took it for a spin down the street.. holy meatballs was it fast! And weighs like 250 or so.. maybe a bit on the pricey end of the spectrum though

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 07-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
The FSEs would be a good option, but they're dual sports like a KTM EXC is a dual sport, so more enduro/race oriented chassis-wise, but with a good, durable and streetable motor that should last a long time. You might want a more comfortable seat made, but I would love to have one of them for similar purposes to what you're intending.

I seen on the gpx web sit they offer a seats concept seat so a more comfortable seat can be ubtainted. And that's kinda more what I'm wanting more of a plateable dirtbike type bike. than one built to hold all your camping gear for a trip 3 states over.

2019 Lifan Xpect

Old 07-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Beta 390? My friend has one and i took it for a spin down the street.. holy meatballs was it fast! And weighs like 250 or so.. maybe a bit on the pricey end of the spectrum though
Beta 390 would be sweet but there is no way I'm paying that kinda money for a dirt bike. Especially since I don't intend on doing anything close to what that suspension is capable of.

2019 Lifan Xpect

Old 07-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #12

I have the klx300r. The off road one. Pretty much just like the dual sport without lights. It is a good bike except for one very bad flaw. It stalls. It stalled on me going up a step rock hill followed by a right turn at the top. Stalled causing me to take a really hard hit. I can't ride it now because of the injuries. I had ridden my apollo 250 up that hill many times with no problems. Fast forward. Reading some of the klx forums I discovered others are having stalling problems. It comes from a safety device to cut off the fuel if you drop the bike. However it can't tell if your going up a hill or falling. On the new dual sport I have read of them stalling randomly when letting off the throttle after a fast takeoff. Or simply stopping at a light. Mark the klx off your list.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #13

GPX TSE250R is still on the scene and with some minor improvements. If I had the freedom to spend on yet another motorcycle, I'd go for it. The counterbalanced engine with 6 speed wide ratio tranny and an electric starter making close to 40hp sounds excellent. It is a lightweight bike, easy to flick around, and it is not too loud either. At the moment, it can be had a right now for about $5000. That is a little high for me, but considering what you get...

The power to weight ratio is what attracts me to the 2 stroke engine, and the TSE250R also has fully adjustable suspension and a frame that is modeled after the KTM300 at less than half price, but including exotic alloys to keep it light. I have heard that the engine, based on the Yamaha TW200, has heavy flywheel and is tuned for low end torque. It is not an explosive power plant like you find in motocross 2 strokes, which means deliberate and controllable power delivery in tight situations...This is perfect for moderate off road fun in the trees and rocky trails. Uh, well good enough for someone like me approach geriatric age!

There may be someone on the forum here that owns one of these, but a quick search didn't turn anything up. Lots of youtube material out there though. The scenery in this one is outstanding!

I won't hold my breath, but would like to be the first to begin posting about "mine" here. There must be a way.