Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2022, 02:51 PM   #16

Well once the shock is in I guess I'll have a Hawkdasaki.

Can anyone confirm this spring isn't too heavy? I mean I weigh 225lbs without gear so probably not an issue but I'm just curious if it's really stiff.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 02-09-2022, 03:41 PM   #17

No it is not. It is a great upgrade regardless of what you are reading on here. The only real issue you will have is that you will soon realize how crappy the front shocks are....

Old 02-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasbeth View Post
No it is not. It is a great upgrade regardless of what you are reading on here. The only real issue you will have is that you will soon realize how crappy the front shocks are....

That realization has already been made, but I swapped in some 15 weight and added a bit more than stock level. I still need to set the sag with some spacers though.

I'll just stay low over the triples, scrub some speed

Old 02-09-2022, 06:06 PM   #19

Shoot for 280ml of oil in each fork. We have done that with a Hawk DLX and Bashan Storm.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by china rider 27 View Post
what aftermarket shock did you use?
a dnm.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 02-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Shoot for 280ml of oil in each fork. We have done that with a Hawk DLX and Bashan Storm.

If memory serves I went with 290ml of 15w Fork oil. It's decent but I know my preload is wrong I just haven't taken the time to adjust it yet.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #22

Found a side by side pic I took of the stock hawk rear removed from my bike alongside the ninja shock. Hopefully this will help you guys get a better idea of the size comparison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1637024811931_1.jpg (27.8 KB, 170 views)

Old 11-02-2022, 04:48 AM   #23

Quote:
The 2016-2019 ZX10 Rear shock is a perfect fit on the Hawk and the Bashan Storm, we have done both bikes. Ride height will be the same as stock. Honestly this is one of the best upgrades you can do for 100 bucks. It's a Showa shock that is adjustable.
No room at the top of the shock enclosure for the big reservoirs, so I assume you mounted it with the reservoirs at the bottom?

Old 11-02-2022, 06:32 AM   #24

Yes, the reservoir at the bottom. I replied to your message.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:17 AM   #25

Skyd...
You are tall enough to handle a taller bike. And heavy enough to benefit from the ZS172 engine(s). Why not sell the Hawk and pick up a CSC 250 or a Templar?

They already have a seat with no hump, and you would fit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
Hey guys,

I've been off the forum for a few months....winter here and the Hawk is asleep, but I want to start prepping for riding season with a few new mods.

I've got a couple things I want to address but one big item I'd like to fix is the rear shock. The stock spring/shock is not where it's at especially for a guy my size (6'4" 225lbs).

When I get in the rough stuff especially the rear end won't stay planted and swaps hard requiring alot of body english to keep me on the move. Sure I could slow down, but what's the fun in that.

Anyway, I read someone swapped in a shock from a ZX10R and it was literally a straight swap. So I have 2 questions, is it indeed a straight swap and does it change the ride height? Higher is ok, lower is not.

Secondly - is this a worthwhile improvement or are there better options for a rear shock?

Old 05-16-2023, 12:40 PM   #26

New hear, haven't had my Hawk very long and I seem to have blown out the rear shock. reading through this thread, I see someone mention using a rear shock from 16-19 zx10R? just curious how its worked out? would love any input pros/cons of the shock. concerned about the travel of the replacement shock as mentioned above
I'm aprox 6'3, 220 lbs.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:01 PM   #27

I have the base model Hawk, and while I didn't have an issue with bottoming out , it was just to soft in it's lightest stage. Just standing the bike up, with no one on it, it compressed a great deal, and then it would stretch back out if you let it lean on the kick stand. I bought one of the white shocks from Amazon, but they sent one that wasn't as represted, so I sent it back. I then bought an XPro adjustable shock from eBay, which I think is probably the standard rear shock for the DLX , and I like it. I adjusted it to tight at first, and it was too stiff, then I backed it off some, but then it was a little too springy, but the third time was the charm, and I'm satisfied.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:30 PM   #28

I got the 2019 ZX10R shock on my 2017 Brozz, and it works out great for the street and utility backroads. I have not done any technical riding yet, but it has NOT bottomed out since the install.

Just gotta add a little bit of more preload to the shock. You do that by taking a chisel/flathead/shock adjuster tool and wind the shock up a few more rotations.
- 2019 Ninja Zx10R rear shock
- 335 ml of 15w fork oil in the inverted gold forks
-NGK Iridium spark plug
-Nibbi coil and sparkplug boot
-USB charger
-Cup holder