Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwrider View Post
TemplarX looks like dirt only. Psportsmax lists it at 14 hp. I,ll stick with my street legal x-pect also rated @14hp.
My 19 hp (5 speed ZS172-FMM-3A) Templar X came with "motorcycle" on the MCO. I insured it with Geico, registered it, plated it. That was about three months ago. No problem. Powersportsmax is sending the MCO indicating motorcycle, not dirt bike. Many people on this thread have the same experience.

Buy whatever you want, but if you want a full sized enduro (now with counterbalanced 19hp, 6speed ZS172-FMM-5), buy it from PSM right now for $1799.

Again...I have the 3 month old 19hp, 2022 TemplarX in my garage, plated, And I have the new 6sp counterbalanced version in the garage too. I am putting it together. The MCO for the new bike arrived same day from PSM. "Motorcycle" on the MCO. I won't have any problem registering it.

Read the posts. No kidding.

Last edited by Thumper; 08-26-2022 at 07:31 PM.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:31 PM   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwrider View Post
TemplarX looks like dirt only. Psportsmax lists it at 14 hp. I,ll stick with my street legal x-pect also rated @14hp.
The old X and the M are 19-changed something other than hearing maybe?
Plenty of us have the X registered, just request an MSO as you need it for registration.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 08-26-2022, 08:32 PM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjjAxx84 View Post
The -3A replacement engine arrived with a tune up spec sheet:
Idle: 1400 plus/minus 140
Gap: 0.7 - 0.85mm
Valve clearance: 0.01 intake 0.03 exhaust
Oil: sj10w40
Fuel: 91 or higher
Very interesting!
Wow those are some tight valves lol, glad we have a definitive answer now.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 08-26-2022, 10:51 PM   #574

The replacement engine is in and all I can say is wow. Mine must have been a dud from the factory because the difference is night and day.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:50 AM   #575

Those are some tight valve specs. No wonder that even with my bad ear I can hear a bit of tapping.

Thumper, how’s the bike looking? Curious on the how much the aluminum wheels save and the quality of the welds, especially on the right side. The right side welds on most of the bikes I’ve seen (pics) are inferior to the left side.

And the stock gearing 13/47?

Form my very limited experience with these bikes, my next one will get the full tear down from the jump. That would take my slow self 4/5 days depending on the humidity.

I hope it’s going well with the shipped product and assembly.

Old 08-27-2022, 05:06 AM   #576

Just in time for the weekend, new Kenda 270’s landed. The bike spends 70% of its time on pavement/gravel and the rear tire is getting flattened from all the road miles.

The 14/42 gearing seems close to the sweet spot, hit 77 on the speedo downhill. Shakes like a squirrel on meth at speeds above 65 when the pavement isn’t perfect though.

Need to get my Soundgarden cranked and start spooning.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:01 AM   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge boyieee View Post
Those are some tight valve specs. No wonder that even with my bad ear I can hear a bit of tapping.
They sent a new engine to Ajjaax, so I think they will take of this.

Thumper, how’s the bike looking? Curious on the how much the aluminum wheels save and the quality of the welds, especially on the right side. The right side welds on most of the bikes I’ve seen (pics) are inferior to the left side.

And the stock gearing 13/47?

Form my very limited experience with these bikes, my next one will get the full tear down from the jump. That would take my slow self 4/5 days depending on the humidity.

I hope it’s going well with the shipped product and assembly.
The horn got mangled loose in the box during shipment. Also, the front hub cracked where the right seal is pressed into the hub. I sent a pic to PSM and they are asking Zuma about a replacement. I am afraid the fracture will migrate when I start putting stress on the front wheel. And water will get right into the bearings too. No way to seal it.

They sent a whole new engine to Ajjaax, so I think they will take care of this

Old 08-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #578

Interesting stuff. I just ordered the new six speed and it should be here next week. Looking forward to comparing it to my 2021 RXB 250. The specs look pretty close. I ordered 14-40 gears to try. The RXB is geared 13-38 and that is pretty close to what I like, good on the road and still good on the trails. She'll do over 70 pretty easy. With the 14-40 I can still run the 13 tooth front and still get good results. Thanks for the heads up on the front hub, I'll make sure to check on that. Looking forward to what you fellas do for tinkering on your bikes.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:22 AM   #579

6 speed counterbalanced engine based on ZS172-FMM-3A case !

I was working on installing the rear shock linkage on the new Temp X and noticed that the engine has -3A designation instead of ZS172-FMM-5 stamped on the case

Name:  ZS172-FMM-5_post.JPG
Views: 826
Size:  162.3 KB

So I immediately verified that YES, it does indeed have a 6 speed gearbox (PHEW!).

The side covers are different on the -5 engine and that was obvious all along (and no kick starter), but I was surprised that Zongshen is using the same case stamp as the -3A. Does this mean that the mounting posts are in the same place??? I will compare them to the 5 speed -3A in my old Temp X (it does have almost 250 miles on it, so I can call it "old").

Last edited by Thumper; 08-27-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:11 PM   #580

Anyone have any issues with pretty bad rear brake drag? After putting in the new motor and reassembling the bike it’s pretty bad. The chain is aligned so it’s not that. I’m going to pull the rear axle bolt tomorrow and really check out the caliper.

Last edited by AjjAxx84; 08-27-2022 at 09:13 PM.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:01 AM   #581

Ajj, I had a few rear break issues. Most of them were solved by removing the caliper and greasing with CRC ceramic break grease.

The pins on my rear caliper had barely any grease and crazy as it seems adding grease tightened up the caliper to the mount. That and a light scuff to the pads cleared up most of the issues.

I still have a slight bit of runout on the rotor, as it leans into the rim side slightly. I was hoping to grab the dead-blow and smack some sense into the rotor. Haven’t flipped it on the rim to get the high side outside and ready for whacking.

90% of my snags were solved by grease.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:15 AM   #582

Thanks for the update Thumper.

And F-that horn. The hub is a bummer, but PSM was great to Aj and good to me. I was missing rear shock linkage bolts and they sent me a 20 count bag of bolts in 3 days, no complaints. No worries on that front.

Weird on the case ID stamping. Curious on what the case looks like where the kick start gear is. Wondering if it’s possible to remove the KS gear and add the 6th.

Best part is you have a few rides to catch the wind while you wait for replacement parts.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:36 AM   #583

Kenda’s on with a 60 mile scuff in. Went 5.10/18 for the rear and 3/21 front. The factory tube’s looked good so I reused them. Only snag was the front valve stem nut stripped a bit. It’s been about 15 years since I’ve dealt with bead locks but muscle memory kicks in eventually.

The 5.10 was about an inch taller than the worn down rear, and it feels great with the 14/42. Easy cruise at 55 and was able to roll at 65 on the two lane in the valley, it’s cool to catch traffic in a 55MPH zone. Although, it’s a bit nervous at speed above 60 as I’m a bit old for leg clamping the bike too long.

The 270s worked great on the gravel roads and turn in on the street is super fast.

Still loving this little bike, hoping to get a good ride in today then watch F1 at Spa, IMO the best track on the circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8569EC2C-E80D-4C50-8704-62CDDA0146DC.jpeg (23.4 KB, 199 views)

Old 08-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #584

You guys have convinced me! I just placed an order for a Templar X 6sp. Hope to have it within a couple weeks fingers crossed with no damage during delivery

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 08-28-2022, 11:06 AM   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge boyieee View Post
Thanks for the update Thumper.

And F-that horn. The hub is a bummer, but PSM was great to Aj and good to me. I was missing rear shock linkage bolts and they sent me a 20 count bag of bolts in 3 days, no complaints. No worries on that front.

Weird on the case ID stamping. Curious on what the case looks like where the kick start gear is. Wondering if it’s possible to remove the KS gear and add the 6th.

Best part is you have a few rides to catch the wind while you wait for replacement parts.
I told them I'd be willing to transfer the brake rotor, tire/tube/rimlocks into a new laced wheel with bearings/seals/inner spacer. I can't lace a wheel, but I don't really need a tire and rotor.

NEWS! The new rear wheel and a horn are ordered on warranty. I don't know if the wheel is a stock item. Could take a week or two. I have lots to do before then. Carb is on the bench, I have many bolts to check, the speedo and wiring up there need attention, and the brakes rotors need cleaning, cylinders need bleeding. And I have travel. Eventually, I can swap out the wheel when it shows up. Just won't let it get wet!

Last edited by Thumper; 08-30-2022 at 09:38 AM.