Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #2476

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
I was reading about the 2015 Honda Africa Twin and found this gem of a chart. It ranks a variety of dual sport and adventure bikes for dirt and street performance and charts them by displacement.

The yellow oval shows a 'gap' in bikes with dirt performance in the 700-1000cc range. But I wanted to highlight the other gap ... in small displacement adventure bikes ... exactly where the RX3 fits.
I'm consistently amazed by the fixation on bikes that are north of 1200cc. I love Ducatis, but I don't want an adventure bike anywhere near the Multistrada size.

I agree with you on the need for small adventure touring bikes. I suspect we'll see that as an upcoming trend.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #2477

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
The RX3 forks have very similar dimensions to the standard, Chinese forks on my Zongshen ZS200GY-2. Therefore, I thought they were most probably designed the same internally, with only minor external differences. I am glad to say I was mistaken.

The standard Chinese forks use shorter springs with a large metal spacer on top of them. Consequently, the springs are not as strong as desired. Please note the springs, spacers, and cartridges in the following photograph.

Unless the spacer is at the bottom, it appears the RX3 forks don't employ the large spacer. Therefore, the springs are probably longer and more robust.
One could also add a spacer to the RX-3 forks to increase stiffness, if desired. On the standard China forks, that would make the ride far too harsh.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #2478

Quote:
Is anyone else impressed with the polish and finish on the internal engine and fork parts? It's one thing to see a nice polish on metal parts like handlebars, but seeing a good finish on internal parts shows attention to detail.

Two questions on the RX3 forks:
  1. Is there any need to protect inverted forks from dirt and rock damage (in addition to the fork guards) ... fork boots? gaiters?
  2. Is there any need for a fork brace (like this one) to strengthen an inverted fork?
I'm not at all surprised by Zongshen quality. I'm quite certain there is a Yamaha link there somewhere.

If I had an RX-3, I'd likely remove the stock fork protectors and install conventional inverted forks shields. While the lower section of the fork doesn't enter the seal, it is still susceptible to rock and sand damage, which can break down the chrome and start rust.

A fork brace is an excellent idea on a supermoto, but I don't think it's necessary on this bike.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #2479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
That's a great look without the boxes. I had to do a double take before I recognized the bike.
I was thinking the same thing. Very sharp bike.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #2480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm consistently amazed by the fixation on bikes that are north of 1200cc. I love Ducatis, but I don't want an adventure bike anywhere near the Multistrada size.

I agree with you on the need for small adventure touring bikes. I suspect we'll see that as an upcoming trend.
Exactly. The race for horsepower has skewed perceptions about riding, to the point some people say it's crazy to tour with anything less that 1000 cc. Or that my 462 lb, 64 hp vstrom or 600 lb Vulcan 900 are beginner bikes.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 03-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #2481

Quote:

Me too. I've never cared for large bikes, and the crap I get about it is amazing. The F800GT is the largest bike I've ever owned. I've always been in the 205-650 range. I'm really excited about the RX-3.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #2482

I've ordered my options.

Assembly
Tinted windscreen
Center Stand
Dash mounted power outlets

I need to call back and order oil filters to take back with me.

My current question is figuring out how to get from Ontario Airport to CSC. I don't know if the Blue Van will do it.

What have you guys ordered?

Old 03-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #2483

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
while your waiting for the slow boat ...
Rub it in, Kat. This taunting behavior is not appropriate for the Grand Poobah of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #2484

Quote:
One could also add a spacer to the RX-3 forks to increase stiffness, if desired. On the standard China forks, that would make the ride far too harsh.
Yes, one could experiment by adding extra washers between the fork caps and the springs.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #2485

Quote:
while your waiting for the slow boat

Here's a video of a Russian guy up to stuff with his engine on a Kayo T6 250.
Not quite the same engine as ours but it is a ZS177M...
Thanks for sharing the video. I posted all those videos in a separate thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14121

The link above is also included in the RX3 Sticky thread, under the Maintenance subheading.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14228

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #2486

Quote:
...regarding the bluey round bit on the headlight . Mine has nothing in it
Thanks for checking, Kat. Now we know the 'bluey round bit' is purely for show.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #2487

Quote:
I'm not at all surprised by Zongshen quality. I'm quite certain there is a Yamaha link there somewhere.

If I had an RX-3, I'd likely remove the stock fork protectors and install conventional inverted forks shields. While the lower section of the fork doesn't enter the seal, it is still susceptible to rock and sand damage, which can break down the chrome and start rust.

A fork brace is an excellent idea on a supermoto, but I don't think it's necessary on this bike.
A fork brace is absolutely unnecessary for 37mm USD forks. USD forks were invented for two main reasons: make the forks stiffer without requiring a fork brace, and lower the unsprung weight of the front wheel.

Because of the front fender supports, I don't think one can easily install conventional fork guards. In the worst case scenario, I would install fork tubes the first time I had the forks disassembled. The fork tubes would fit under the fender and stock fork guards, and would not detract from the bike's appearance. Indeed, the fork tubes would be hardly noticeable. I would secure the ends of the fork tube with zip ties. You could snip one of the zip ties periodically, and lift the fork tube to inspect for oil seal leaks. Of course, you would need to ensure the right fork tube does not abrade the speedometer pickup cable as the forks expand and contract.

However, I suspect the stock fender and lower fork guards do a pretty good job of covering the inner fork tubes. Of course, we will know more regarding this subject after our bikes arrive. Perhaps Katflap can tell us how well the stock equipment protects the lower fork tubes from mud, et cetera.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #2488

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Assembly
Tinted windscreen
Center Stand
Dash mounted power outlets

I need to call back and order oil filters to take back with me.

My current question is figuring out how to get from Ontario Airport to CSC. I don't know if the Blue Van will do it.

What have you guys ordered?
That's a nice list, Tony. Perhaps you should also order some fuel filters. Changing the fuel filter is a regular maintenance procedure, which is especially important for a bike with a fuel injected engine.

Please let us know how you like the center stand. I will report how well I like the updated headlight.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #2489

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly. The race for horsepower has skewed perceptions about riding, to the point some people say it's crazy to tour with anything less that 1000 cc. Or that my 462 lb, 64 hp vstrom or 600 lb Vulcan 900 are beginner bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Me too. I've never cared for large bikes, and the crap I get about it is amazing. The F800GT is the largest bike I've ever owned. I've always been in the 205-650 range. I'm really excited about the RX-3.
X3. I really like the simplicity and low cost of operation which is intrinsic for single cylinder motorcycles with small displacement engines. Also, I am never in a hurry while riding a motorcycle. Speeding along the interstate for hours on end is not my idea of a fun adventure. If I need to get somewhere fast, I will take my automobile. If I want to get somewhere fast and ride my motorcycle after arriving, I will trailer my dirt bike behind the car.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #2490

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Rub it in, Kat. This taunting behavior is not appropriate for the Grand Poobah of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

quite right ,i have brought shame to my title ,please except my profuse apologies

perhaps a little jealousy crept in after seeing photos of long empty roads and mile upon mile of dirt tracks with stunning views that you guys will get to ride when your bikes arrive.

sorry, didnt see you had the vids already

Regarding the forks -
My bike has yet to see mud but commuting in the rain with salted roads plus a good helping of sand, courtesy of a nearby quarry, i have only noticed a bit of build up at the bottom of the fork tubes not near the fork seals. This i think is from water running down rather than a sand blast effect.

some spray does come up the front and also hit the front of the tank through the steering yoke but probably this will be eliminated with the upgraded mudguard thats on your bikes

Have done a test order on Taobao (thanks to spuds tutorial)
extended windscreen
wing mirrors
oil filters

Did my first oil and filter change the other day,no problems, magnetic drain plug was clean of filings.The two oil strainers had trapped a few small swarf bits of aluminium . All good

please excuse any typing errors , sodding cat is allover my keyboard