Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
kat, I'm not a KLR owner but at one time did lots of research thinking that I might want to get one. The KLRs had a few systemic problems, all of which have been addressed by aftermarket products. The cooling system is very similar to our Zong. The KLRs were noted for always running cool and some had serious oil burning problems that were blamed on uneven cooling. There was no rad bypass so hot spots would develop, then get a slug of cold coolant, then heat back up. The Thermobob seems to have solved that problem so it's a very popular mod. With all that said, waddya think of a simple bypass between the head and the thermostat housing and going to the water pump intake? That would give some actual circulation as the engine warms up and, once the thermostat opens, slow down the circulation through the radiator so the rad could shed more heat if needed.
That's interesting to know about the KLR. Thanks

regarding fitting a bypass , I was thinking a similar thing and perhaps having an inline tap in the bypass tube to gain some control of the flow.

There could be a problem though, the ECU relies heavily on the temp sensor in the thermostat housing. by introducing a small bypass it could upset the balance between actual engine temp and recorded temp from the sensor in the housing. this is just guess work on my part

I'm still tempted to have a play with this though