Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2016, 12:00 AM   #1

Colorado ride through Poudre Canyon and RMNP - 8/21

Hey Colorado riders, anyone up for an all day ride up Poudre Canyon and back through Rocky Mountain National Park? It's real. We're doing it next Sunday, 8/21

Sorry for the short notice but that's when I could get all-day childcare and Azhule was nice enough to accommodate our schedule ... Yep, that's right ... Mrs Detours will be in this ride ... The bat nurse herself!

This will be an all day ride on pavement only. All bikes and riders welcome. We'll be on the bikes a minimum 6 hours, plus meals and rest stops. My wife and I rode a similar route last year and it took us 10 hours (door to door). So don't let the map fool you ... this will take all day, and we're going to see some of Colorado's finest high country along the way!

Google maps link

For more details, check out azhule's thread in the off-topic section.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17278

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-14-2016, 01:21 AM   #2

I would say "pack some snacks/food and possibly your lunch" too... Having food alergies I will already be packing my own meals for the day... but the best places I found to eat on this trip is all the way towards the end in Estes Park... every other town is hit and miss on reviews for food stops.

Maybe some NY style Pizza Pie for everyone's lunch ?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...4d-105.5327609

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

Looking forward to photos and a ride report my husband will be riding through Colorado some time in September. Not sure of his route...I've seen some maps laying about for the Colorado backcountry adventure route along with the great continental divide adventure route. I'll still be hobbled with a cast at that time (and it's way above my skill level just yet!) maybe I'll make it up to your gorgeous state in the not too distant future!

Old 08-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Looking forward to photos and a ride report my husband will be riding through Colorado some time in September. Not sure of his route...I've seen some maps laying about for the Colorado backcountry adventure route along with the great continental divide adventure route. I'll still be hobbled with a cast at that time (and it's way above my skill level just yet!) maybe I'll make it up to your gorgeous state in the not too distant future!
If you guys come up, you're welcome to use our spare room. There are tons of amazing paved and dirt rides to try around here, good for all skill levels.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-15-2016, 01:23 AM   #5

I was all ready to sign up til I checked my calendar; I have a previous engagement -Front Range Riders, a Fort Collins area m/c club, is having a social event that afternoon.
Suggestion on routing: Do RMNP first, early in the morning, before traffic gets bad. We came thru, west to east, Sunday 8/7 about 2pm. It was slow going, sometimes walking pace, and the parking lot at the top was full, with rangers directing traffic.
I know you said pavement only, but I enjoy Fall River Road. It is one way, uphill, (west bound), good dirt road, with some tight switchbacks. We ride it weekdays, getting to the park entrance before 7am.
Have a great ride. Watch for moose between Cameron Pass and Walden.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 AM   #6

Sorry you can't make it but thanks for the route advice!

2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #7

Rojo and I are in.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #8

oh boy, picture times a comin!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #9

And my friend Mike is coming too. So far, we have ...
  • azhule
  • myself
  • Mrs detours
  • rojo_grande
  • marzhere
  • my buddy Mike

I think we should follow Redhawk's advice and reverse our route to avoic traffic in Rocky Mountain National Park. This will also let us take Trail Ridge Road, which is an awesome road that I haven't been on in 15 years.

Checking with Azhule since this is his ride. Then we'll set the final, official, designated meeting area

2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #10

I'm really easy as far as changes to the route go... as long as everyone knows about it and agrees on it before hand

So are we meeting at the Loveland Diamond Shamrock to reverse the trip?

I can be there in Loveland at 9am too, it won't add that much time to my ride from FoCo

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #11

Excellent! I'll be meeting Mike at my house at 8am. Rojo and Marzhere are welcome to meet us at my place too.

Then we can ride up to meet Azhule at the Loveland Diamond Shamrock as soon as we can, probably by 9:30am.

From there we'll follow Azhule's route in reverse, with the addition of Old Fall River Road.

Note: Please see Azhule's ride rules in the other thread.

2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
those are really just an "inside joke" for more of my amusement while trapped out in the boonies...

Here's some of the "inside" to it...

I talked to a buddy I haven't seen in years, and all I could think about all day after that was: the first thing when you walked into his house... you see a big white board with "House Rules" written on it... the damn rules would change all the time depending on how he felt and who was coming over

Seriously tho, ride however you want I shouldn't have to tell adults how to behave themselves on a group ride

I do like knowing that someone is keeping an eye on their mirrors in group rides tho... you never know when someone who is no longer in the mirror is wheels up in the ditch somewhere fast response times can save limbs and lives...

Don't know how many times I fell behind on that last group ride (locktight them tail light bolts people), and shortly after I disappear, what do I see?!?... 2 out of 3 times it was Mr. Rojo hauling ace back down the trail to see what the problem was

Even the few times someone else fell behind, we instantly stopped and talked about the best route for turning around and going back down to see what the problem was

Great group of people we have going on these rides... like I said, those rules are mainly for my amusement and didn't really need to be posted with who is going on these rides

Old 08-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #13

I think you folks are planting the roots of a China Rides traditions.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #14

Detours, Azhule,
Marzhere and I will meet you at the Diamond Shamrock in Loveland. Looking forward to the ride. See ya around 9 am-ish on Sunday.

Rojo

Old 08-17-2016, 01:13 AM   #15

Sounds good! I'm so excited about this trip!

By the way, Rocky Mountain National Park charges $20 per motorcycle for a day pass into the park.

RMNP fees page.

If you have an annual pass and both sign it, they have been known to let two bikers in on the same pass. Mrs Detours and I did that last year. You can buy an annual pass at the entrance for $80.

However you get in, bring enough cash because cards take longer to process and the readers sometimes go down.

2014 Ural Patrol