Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #31

I'm pretty sure the little bulb is a parking light, not a running light. When I lived in Europe, all the bikes (and cars) had them so they could be safely parked on the narrow, dark roadsides in the little villages. I never noticed when I was there, but I bet the vehicles in Asia use the same setup.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #32

Nice pics Lee! It could be that your camera just picks up more light, but your headlight pattern appears wider than mine. I wonder if my side LEDs are blocking light that is reflected farther out on yours.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 11-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
I'm pretty sure the little bulb is a parking light, not a running light. When I lived in Europe, all the bikes (and cars) had them so they could be safely parked on the narrow, dark roadsides in the little villages. I never noticed when I was there, but I bet the vehicles in Asia use the same setup.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Are the parking lights illuminated when the engine is off? I've never seen that feature in the United States, so I am unfamiliar with it.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Nice pics Lee! It could be that your camera just picks up more light, but your headlight pattern appears wider than mine. I wonder if my side LEDs are blocking light that is reflected farther out on yours.
I tried to match it to what I was seeing as best I could. If you want to compare and have a camera with manual control and a F2.8 lens just match the settings I used.

I can also retake some with F5.6 of F4 as more cameras have that F-stop on kit lenses. I'll need a tripod for those shots though as it's going to be a slow shutter speed.

Lee

Old 11-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #35

I only have a smartphone for pics, so unfortunately I can't try your settings.

My light pattern appears in this post. Based on shape alone, your light pattern appears more round than mine, with a wider reach from left to right, while my 2015 headlight appears more oval vertically.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 11-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Are the parking lights illuminated when the engine is off? I've never seen that feature in the United States, so I am unfamiliar with it.
My 1979 Yamaha XS650S had a similar feature. If you locked the steering and then turned the key counter-clockwise one more click, it would illuminate the tail light. I was told it was in case you had to leave your bike on the side of the road.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-03-2015, 01:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
My 1979 Yamaha XS650S had a similar feature. If you locked the steering and then turned the key counter-clockwise one more click, it would illuminate the tail light. I was told it was in case you had to leave your bike on the side of the road.
Thank you for posting that interesting information, Weld.

However, both of my Zongshen motorcycles have the secondary, small bulb in the headlight, and neither small bulb illuminates when the ignition is turned off, and locked. Both bulbs illuminate only when the ignition is turned on, in unison with the main headlight bulb. Therefore, I deduced these small bulbs are running lights, and not parking lights.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thank you for posting that interesting information, Weld.

However, both of my Zongshen motorcycles have the secondary, small bulb in the headlight, and neither small bulb illuminates when the ignition is turned off, and locked. Both bulbs illuminate only when the ignition is turned on, in unison with the main headlight bulb. Therefore, I deduced these small bulbs are running lights, and not parking lights.
I think they just changed the wiring so its on all the time instead of including an ignition switch that has the final switch position for the parkling lights to come on only.

Still just a guess on my part though. My Urals still have this feature. I think my Royal Enfield does also. My old BMW's had it too.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 11-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #39

I installed a "basic" Sylvania 9003 (H4) into my RX3 this afternoon. IR thermometer read 340F for the 35w bulb and 507F for the High beam on the 9003. Significant increase in temperature but I don't know what the melt point of that plastic is. Ambient air was 55 degrees. I'm guessing the headlight lens is polycarbonate which has a melt point of 500-600F according to a few searches. Looks like the bulb should be safe in there barely. I think Spuds advice for a vent hole is sound in this case.

I repeat the photo's I took with the H4 so we can see the difference.

Lee

Old 11-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #40

Thanks for measuring the temperature. 507 degrees! I'm glad I cut a vent hole!

2014 Ural Patrol