Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Break in period...

Havent seen a whole lot of info on the forum about what other guys are experiencing for a break in period. Some vague info but nothing absolute as to how the RX3 does from mile 1 to mile 1000. Might be motor terminology in general which I am unfamiliar with but since this is my first new motorcycle I am really curious at how long the period has been for everyone else and what their experiences or observations are. I am at 400 on the odo did the first oil change at 200 and will probably do another at 500. I've noticed the motor still breaking in and feeling just a little bit peppier every time I take it out. When does/did this usually stop happening or improving for everyone else? The brakes have gotten as good as they will get (I think) but I'm about to put on some EBC pads tonight sans retaining spring. Also curious what methods other guys used to break in motor and with what success. My buddy bought an RX3 after riding mine and has about 40 miles so far on it. Only thing I avoided doing was droning on the freeway at 8k for long periods of time but besides that I just rode it like I normally would and let it have some cool down periods and increased the miles each time I rode. He so far is not letting it get above 5k which seems a little extreme but I really just dont know. Any insights/experiences/observations helpful...

Old 11-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #2

Interesting topic, and one I'll be happy to see what others think. I have almost 1100 miles on mine, and I have kind of followed your method-ride like I normally would, but avoid droning. I paid attention to RPMs at the beginning, but it seemed like I'd never get above about 30 mph if I stayed below 5000 RPM.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:58 AM   #3

I tried to keep my RPMs low without lugging during break in, but it was almost unrideable. I finally settled on avoiding wide open throttle, and accelerating slowly. Seemed to work ok. I have over 3000 miles now and I have good power and get 65-70 mpg average.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 11-08-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #4

Some people say, "ride it hard." Some people say, "take it easy." No matter what method they use, everybody seems to get good results. My good friend, who is a profession mechanic with over thirty years of experience, says it doesn't make any difference how you ride the bike during break-in, and that is why everyone gets good results. I did the same as you. I ride the bike normally, but I don't abuse it. I now have over 13,000 miles on the odometer, and my RX3 runs great.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Some people say, "ride it hard." Some people say, "take it easy." No matter what method they use, everybody seems to get good results. My good friend, who is a profession mechanic with over thirty years of experience, says it doesn't make any difference how you ride the bike during break-in, and that is why everyone gets good results. I did the same as you. I ride the bike normally, but I don't abuse it. I now have over 13,000 miles on the odometer, and my RX3 runs great.
I'm with you Spud I always break in my bikes the same way, I just try to never stay at any long constant rpm or speed during this time period. Riding back roads instead of highway always gives a good variety of rpms, shifting etc.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #6

I also rode normally specifically paying attention to varying the RPM and not droning on.

I like how my Guzzi manual put it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg run-in.JPG (38.9 KB, 126 views)

Old 11-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #7

Despite popular belief, the piston rings seat in very quickly due to the fact that they are reciprocating parts. The real *bedding in* is for the big cast parts. Cycling between heating and cooling causes them to expand and contract, allowing them to normalize to their final natural shape. It's all on a very small scale as most metals expand about .001" per 1" each 100 degrees F.

So getting the engine warm then letting it cool will cycle it a bit through expansion. Getting it hotter then backing down to warm (a hard blast followed by mild cruising) makes a different expansion cycle.

All of the rolling components such as bearings and gears will wear in at their own pace regardless of rpm, but high loads (lugging) puts more force on them so try to avoid that. In fact, lugging is not good for any mechanical drive.

Now, after I've said all that, the CSC Great Western States Tour gang took a batch of bikes fresh out of the crates and ran them hard for 5000 miles at high revs and had no power train problems to report. So, do what you want.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #8

All good really info. And I guess telling my friend use common sense and really won't matter how he does it. So is it just me experiencing a better engine with each passing mile? For sure 100 percent it is night and day different from when I first got bike. How many miles of "break in" did everyone else experience? Anyone remember what mileage range the bike was fully broken in? Spud you've got the most miles on an rx3 does your motor feel as good at 13k as it did at 130 miles?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #9

Just use it normally.
Don't abuse it, let it warm a bit on first start of the day and you'll be fine

I believe I saw a sticker on the right side of the engine that reads 'don't go above 50km/h' wtf
Of course nobody does that

Old 11-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
...Spud you've got the most miles on an rx3 does your motor feel as good at 13k as it did at 130 miles?
Yes, the engine runs great at 13,000 miles. The engine in my Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra) also runs great after 70,000 miles. Zongshen builds great engines, about 4-5 million of them every year.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894