Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Adjusting Shifter position

So...I got myself some new boots but the toebox is taller than my current boots - went out for a ride to check the clearances on the controls and I think I might want to move my shift level up a hair to accomodate - with the current settings, its an extremely tight fit to get my toe under the lever - not an ideal situation. Is changing the shift lever position as simple as loosening the locking bolt, adjusting the position and tightening the bolt back down? It looks like it's just clamped in place using that bolt...

Also, I imagine I need to be wary of moving the lever too far up...

Old 12-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

Yes ! Just remove the bolt ,pull off the lever ,reposition it ,and reinstall the bolt .Easy !

Old 12-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

That's it. Be sure to just move one notch at a time. It will go farther than you think.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 12-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
? It looks like it's just clamped in place using that bolt...

Also, I imagine I need to be wary of moving the lever too far up...
There are splines on the shaft and inside the lever, so one is limited as to how it can be positioned. As long as nothing hits, move it to where you are comfortable.

Since I wear either a men's 12W or 13R, I've learned how to adapt over the decades.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #5

I have found that if I can easily get the toe of my boot under the shift lever that I have to lift my boot off the foot peg to down shift. By watching how I shift I see that I shift with the side of the toe box and the welt of the boot. YRMV

Old 12-14-2015, 12:26 AM   #6

If you need more room for you boots, install a shift lever designed for the Honda XR650L. This shift lever has a folding tip, and it is about 1/2-inch longer than the stock shift lever.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
If you need more room for you boots, install a shift lever designed for the Honda XR650L. This shift lever has a folding tip, and it is about 1/2-inch longer than the stock shift lever.

Thanks again Spud .. and I see shift lever is listed in the compatible parts list

Old 12-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Sprite, take the time to mark the shaft before you remove the shifter, so you know where it started from. A dab of liquid paper (or even nail polish?) will do the trick. I make a mark on the shaft, right at the gap in the shifter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaine View Post
Thanks again Spud .. and I see shift lever is listed in the compatible parts list
You're welcome, Keith.

The folding tip on the XR650L shift lever will help to prevent damage to the engine, as well as the shift lever, in case of an impact. The stock, Honda shift lever, or any of the aftermarket shift levers will fit. I have the spare MSR shift lever because I prefer having the Emgo 83-88068 model fitted on my Honda XR650L.

http://www.amazon.com/1993-2004-Hond.../dp/B0055DN0UE

Here is a photograph of the Emgo shift lever mounted on a Husqvarna motorcycle.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Sprite, take the time to mark the shaft before you remove the shifter, so you know where it started from. A dab of liquid paper (or even nail polish?) will do the trick. I make a mark on the shaft, right at the gap in the shifter.
Thanks for the tip, Weld! Was trying to figure out how best to mark it so I knew where I was starting from. Not sure I have liquid paper, but I do have nail polish will probably have to clean the connection first as it seems there is a fair bit of chain lube/grease flung up onto it.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #11

Swapped out the shifter to the Emgo version - which is the same dimensions as the stock shifter, no longer, no shorter. The notch position on the attachment is different, so not sure how much I wound up moving the shifter relative to the footpeg. I now can get my toe under the shifter, but if I want to downshift multiple gears I have to conciously pick my foot up to get the subsequent gear shifts to occur. Haven't decided what I think of that.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #12

If you don't like it ,move it up or down a notch until you find where it works for you .

Old 12-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
If you don't like it ,move it up or down a notch until you find where it works for you .
I know I'm just trying to decide what I think - Had a hard time getting my toe under the stock shifter (new boots with taller toe box) which is what precipitated this whole thing.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #14

At the very least, you can clean off the old nail polish mark, and mark the position of the new shifter. That'll help you control the adjustments, one spline at a time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
At the very least, you can clean off the old nail polish mark, and mark the position of the new shifter. That'll help you control the adjustments, one spline at a time.
Ha! I wound up using a sharpie - it was much better at marking finely guess I better figure out what can be used to remove sharpie from the end of the shaft...