Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #4891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Ron, keep it mind it is a 250 and with all the gear a bit heavy, at that. At most I weigh 150 and mine happily runs past redline in 6th on the freeway so I have to watch the tach and back off. Running the stock 14/44 gears.

Most Cyclone owners are gearing lower (higher reduction) to make it more user friendly off road in the technical stuff. If you are seeking an ADV that will do both serious off road and also blast down the interstate all day, then perhaps a KTM 350 or something bigger will better suit you. Of course you're looking a twice the price if not more. Just don't want you to be disappointed.
just as long as it will do 60/65 im good. I have a HD ultra classic for trips.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #4892

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
...is the aftermarket skidplate worth the extra expense and hassle (related to oil changes) or is the stock one sturdy and protective enough to run mild off road on?
I have the aluminum skid plate and it's very nice. It provides excellent coverage against rocks thrown up by the tire and any impact from below. And it's a nice flat surface to lift the bike.

It also gives you about a half inch better ground clearance, because it conforms to the lower frame. You have to grind off the stock skid plate mounts to install it, so there's no going back to the stock one afterwards.

If I'm honest with myself, it's probably overkill for my needs. But I really like it.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 04-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #4893

I'm staying with the stock plate, the accessory is nice though.

I've only whacked one rock hard so far and that impacted the mounting point for the centerstand (i don't have one) which hangs down much further than the skid plate. If your going to hit something it'll be that first.

Logs don't seem to phase the stock plate if your don't hit them hard.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #4894

I smashed a rock hard and it broke the front mounting tab from the lower cross member. If you're going to hit hard, it will break... and I'd rather have that break and not the engine case!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #4895

Juanro,

Did you weld it or replace with a CSC style plate?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #4896

I welded it. Once. I broke it again (Either I'm a very careles driver or the roads I take are hard, haha). Still with the stock plate, currently held by zip ties. Going to see a friend who's a better welder than me and fabricate a stronger mounting plate.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #4897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
I welded it. Once. I broke it again (Either I'm a very careles driver or the roads I take are hard, haha). Still with the stock plate, currently held by zip ties. Going to see a friend who's a better welder than me and fabricate a stronger mounting plate.

Careless or having more fun

Seems like a good idea to fabricate a new one, definitely post the pics when its finished!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #4898

I mean, the weak point is the mounting tab itself, not the plate, either stock or CSC style. The stock is dented but still perfectly good.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #4899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
I mean, the weak point is the mounting tab itself, not the plate, either stock or CSC style. The stock is dented but still perfectly good.
Maybe a point to reinforce for Zongshen. I agree the stock plate isn't bad and better than I've seen on bikes with double the price (KLR650).

Old 04-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #4900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Maybe a point to reinforce for Zongshen. I agree the stock plate isn't bad and better than I've seen on bikes with double the price (KLR650).
I agree.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #4901

Thanks for the replies ! I do like the looks of the accessory one, but for routine oil changes, the stock one is easier, based on what I see on the tutorials...is that fairly accurate? I'll be in soft dirt and some mud...not much into hopping logs, so the half inch shouldn't be an issue for me. If it becomes one, I'll pony up and buy it when it's on sale. Also, Spud, when you trimmed the handguards, you are referring to the extra aluminum backbone of it? The risers are going to be the 1 1/8? Also (and lastly), thanks to your tutorial on Taobao, I just picked up a great set of the Acerbis handguards for 20 bucks. Thank you for your hard work on this site.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #4902

Quote:
Thanks for the replies ! I do like the looks of the accessory one, but for routine oil changes, the stock one is easier, based on what I see on the tutorials...is that fairly accurate?...
Yes, it requires less than a minute to loosen the 4 bolts and remove the stock skid plate.

Quote:
... Also, Spud, when you trimmed the handguards, you are referring to the extra aluminum backbone of it?...
Yes, I trimmed the extra aluminum which extends toward the windshield. I used my angle grinder.

Quote:
...The risers are going to be the 1 1/8?...
Yes, you need the 1-1/8" risers. I bought the 30mm Tusk risers.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ndlebar+risers

Quote:
...Also (and lastly), thanks to your tutorial on Taobao, I just picked up a great set of the Acerbis handguards for 20 bucks. Thank you for your hard work on this site.
You're welcome. Thank you for your kind words.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #4903

Talk about some fast, and efficient answers!!! Thank you so much It is much appreciated.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #4904

Quote:
Talk about some fast, and efficient answers!!! Thank you so much It is much appreciated.
That's Spud. He's the man of Legend. Just wait until he starts pulling out schematics and referencing tutorials! This man clearly knows his stuff.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #4905

Is there a post on here with pics of peoples rx3 and their mods. Or can i just not find it.