Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
If the other guys/gals bring their 250s I don't see any reason for you to bring the big gun (klr).
I would love to bring my heavy Frankensaki... but it needs some work before I can ride it again... a rear tire, rear tube, another Hydraulic Clutch (original one was 'donated' to the Bashan ), the Eagle Mike 'Doo' Upgrade to get complete... and I will also need to buy Tire Spoons, my favorite Tire/Tube 'Sealant/Balancing Slime', and the tools to actually complete the 'Doo Upgrade'... all in all... will probably cost over $400 to complete the 'yob

Oh well, the Mrs. said I can borrow her bike for the day of the ride... my hefty KLR will be fixed a few weeks after the 8/7 ride.

As long as I have one motorcycle that I can ride, I'll be a happy camper

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
What are those I see on the map??? Just how deep of water crossing(s) are we talking?
Basically what you see the jeep crossing in the pic - 6 or 8 inches. Also, I remember a muddy spot or two. One of them had logs thrown down to stabilize it. One had a bridge that was in bad shape (also in the pic). There's a section where the road goes up a gravel creek bed for a bit.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 07-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #18

Just bring some training wheels for AZ, he should be fine
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #19

Quote:
I would love to bring my heavy Frankensaki... but it needs some work before I can ride it again... a rear tire, rear tube, another Hydraulic Clutch (original one was 'donated' to the Bashan ), the Eagle Mike 'Doo' Upgrade to get complete... and I will also need to buy Tire Spoons, my favorite Tire/Tube 'Sealant/Balancing Slime', and the tools to actually complete the 'Doo Upgrade'... all in all... will probably cost over $400 to complete the 'yob

Oh well, the Mrs. said I can borrow her bike for the day of the ride... my hefty KLR will be fixed a few weeks after the 8/7 ride.

As long as I have one motorcycle that I can ride, I'll be a happy camper
Az...Could you clue me on this one http://eaglemike.com/ ? Not the sharpest tool at the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #20

Ok, I updated my first post with a general schedule. I won't be carrying a stopwatch, but it's good to have a plan.

A lot of us have to ride/drive to get to the Morrison Conoco, so I intentionally set a late start at 9:30am, with kickstands up by 10:00am latest.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 07-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Az...Could you clue me on this one http://eaglemike.com/ ? Not the sharpest tool at the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute
Long story short, Kawasaki KLR 650 came with a "Idle Adjustment Lever (aka Doohickey)"... usually just called 'The Doo'... Eagle Mike made a wonderful upgrade even with a Torsion Spring Option so no more 'sagging springs' in the future ... and now no more broken Idle Adjustment Lever... only problem is the cost... $30 for a specialty tool (I need), ~$55 or so for the actual 'Doo' parts (I have), $13 for a new Rotor Bolt (I need), and another $18 or so for a new gasket (I need)...

Some people report never having problems with it... The rest of us (90%) have had failures in as little as 15,000 miles... usually a lot less

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:09 AM   #22

Getting closer to our Webster Pass ride this Sunday! I checked Bushducks.com and it's officially clear of snow at the top

That gives us more options for the return trip, though an out-and-back on that beautiful ride suits me too.

http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#webster

I ordered a new spring (longer and softer) for the progressive shock and Ryan is sending it express mail. Fingers crossed it arrives by Saturday so I can install it. It should make a big difference offroad.

I also need to re-install my 45T rear. I switched back to 13T/44T a couple of months ago for the on-road performance, but this is the perfect occasion to switch back.

I already have my riser installed, so that's taken care of. This is going to be epic!

2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #23

Hope you guys enjoy the ride. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join this time.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 08-08-2016, 02:38 AM   #24

Ride was EPIC!!!

Thanks for the invite big D... let me know a good day to pick up the few things I left behind at your place... I was tired and ready to hit the road... and like usual I forgot I still needed to grab my lunch bag and can opener before I left

The Bashan recorded: 64.xxx mpg (high speed highway run against wind), 63.xxx mpg (highway and off roading), and.... the last fill up before I went home was 98.828 miles per gallon (all on road, 35 - 55mph max)!!!

Rode 109.7 miles on 1.11 gallons of fuel

How did everyone else do?

Old 08-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #25

Agree with Azhule. Great Ride. Thanks to Detours for putting it together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160807_125840.jpg (98.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20160807_132255.jpg (98.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20160807_130440.jpg (96.6 KB, 61 views)

Old 08-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Ride was EPIC!!!

Thanks for the invite big D... let me know a good day to pick up the few things I left behind at your place... I was tired and ready to hit the road... and like usual I forgot I still needed to grab my lunch bag and can opener before I left

The Bashan recorded: 64.xxx mpg (high speed highway run against wind), 63.xxx mpg (highway and off roading), and.... the last fill up before I went home was 98.828 miles per gallon (all on road, 35 - 55mph max)!!!

Rode 109.7 miles on 1.11 gallons of fuel

How did everyone else do?
Did you trailer the Will or did you ride the whole way. If ride what was your round trip milage ?

That looks like such a good time even though you might have gone hungry

Old 08-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #27

Rode the 197cc Bashan all the whole way to D's (over 90 miles).

Then we rode to/up/down the mountain and had another fun ride with an awesome looking Ural with 2 extremely awesome people and also had Batgirl on a black Suzuki TU250 (that who experience was another 170 or so miles I think).

And then after unpacking my food and eating at D's place, I had another long ride back home (over 90 mile) I easily put just under if not close to 400 or so miles on the bike, with close to or just shy of 310 miles of constant riding/idling/hill climbing/water crossing/high RPM fun

We started around 9 in the morning* and didn't get home until just after midnight, a little bit of Arnica and a little bit of my home made pain relief oils on the spots that hurt (neck, shoulders, back, hips) and all is well when I woke up this morning

* Check list time *

Went to sleep after 1 am... Check...
Wake up close to 5 am... Check...
Work on bikes around 8 am... Check...
Start to ride bikes at 9 am... Check...
Bike stops running at 9:04 am... Check...

WTF!!!

Big D circles back around... see's me still in panic mode trying to kick start and electric start the bike with no luck (don't want to kill the Lithium battery I kick start mainly to save all the juice I can... don't want to be left stranded anywhere after all)...

After a minute or so of both of us looking things over and thinking... I hear him say, "Is the fuel turned on?"...

CRAP

Fuel petcock turned to the ON position at 9:07... Check...
Bike starts right up and we ride on without that issue the rest of the day

Forget to Threadlock/Locktight the "Tail/Brake/Turn Signal Plastics" after you removed them to add new wires for a battery charger... Check...
Almost run over said "Tail/Brake/Turn signal plastics" after the nuts and bolts come loose and fly off into parts unknown... Check...
Forget to "Tune for Altitude"... Check... bike runs like crap when you go up another 2k feet... and another... and another... then your up at 12,100+ feet with the bike running RICH!

Every problem the bike had was all "Operator Error"

Oh... thanks again Rojo for the Bungee Cord (I owe you) without it I wouldn't have had a brake like or turn signals or a license plate "On the Bike"... it would have been "In my Backpack" instead

Almost got pulled over for speeding last night too... I was cruising along going 48 in a 40 and what do I see coming the other direction... a Cop... so I just keep putsin along doing 48... well I look back and sure enough the cop flips around and start hauling back my direction...

A few miles up the road he catches up and start weaving in and out of traffic and got in behind me in a hurry... "well SH*!!!" I think to myself...

I then see the Red and Blue lights flashing and I instantly hit my right signal and slow down/pull over to get whats coming to me... a nice talking with the police on "Why I'm in such a hurry"... and possibly a fatty ticket...

What I didn't see was he pulled in behind me only to cut over in behind a White Truck... a White truck that I passed doing 48 just before I seen the cop was pulled over for who knows what ("whew!!! I'm getting the hell out of here, and let's try staying a little closer to the speed limit" stop being such a jackass on the road )

Great day in my book... no one got hurt... every one of the bikes went up some insane rocky trails too... great people, bikes, and conversations all day too

Old 08-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #28

A few pics to pass the time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5062.jpg (98.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5068.jpg (100.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5072.jpg (102.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5081.jpg (98.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5091.jpg (70.5 KB, 56 views)

Old 08-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #29

Thumbs Up

THANKS AZ. i love hearing what some might call the boring details.

i have done things like that in my best effort not to cause problems with groups but seem to damm myself in the past anyway. i think you will be well experienced by the time you are old and wise

now, this is what i was wanting to know... 400 miles, that's incredible in anybodys book considering the terrain . makes for a looonnngggg day.

It gives me more confidence to roam further on my bashan too (done 225 miles in one haul so far). may get out to west texas in the winter where things get more interesting .

Well done az !!! and brother china riders

Old 08-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #30

Didn't even sip a drop of oil (Rotella T6 5w40) the whole trip from the looks of the sight glass and dip stick check last night and this morning

4 m6-1.0 bolts, 8 'fender' washers, 4 m6-1.0 nuts and some Threadlocker Gel, and POOF! Just like magic the tail light is mounted properly again ... now I just need to find the time to install the 'new' rear Turn Signals on the Bashan (Thanks for your old unused ones Detours!!! )

Things recorded on the Tail Tech Vapor this trip... 188 degrees max temp (recorded from a bolt on the valve cover), max speed 65.7 mph (at 7,000 or so RPMs), max RPM 8270 (close to maxing out/reline in first or second gear )

Things broken, 2 rear turn signal plastics broken and missing on the trail, and the left rear turn signal is no longer working (?water damaged?)... nothing else was broken on the Bashan during the ride ... again the only reason ANYTHING broke on the bike was my rush job and lack of threadlocker on nuts and bolts