Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Observations on the RX3

I may have ridden more CB's than most of the people on this forum. I'm thinking about 10 or more over the years, and I've owned about 4-5 so I'm in a position to say the RX3 is the best CB I've ever ridden.

Spud generously let me evaluate his RX3 and these are my observations.

The seating position is very good, although much too low for me. I'd want a higher seat. I see why ZS makes it so low to allow sales to more people, but for an ADV bike I'd be more comfortable at least 3" higher.

The handlebars and footpegs are well set up for standing while riding off road. Spud has risers on his bike, I don't know if they are stock or not.

The windshield is outstanding. Good clarity and very effective. Diverts wind blast to the upper chest, not the faceshield and does not add noise or turbulence.

The bags are small. The right one especially so, but as Spud points out, for the extra charge ($0), they are a great value ;-)

The rear shock is way oversprung and overdamped for my 165 pound frame. Very harsh.

The contour of the seat is OK but not my preference. I'm more in favor of a broad flat seat on an ADV/off road bike. I's also curved more to the sides than I prefer, adding pressure to the perineum, but I rode it after riding the DRZ about 10 hours so I was a bit pre-fatigued.

The EFI is spot on. No room for improvement.

The transmission was slick and smooth with well-spaced ratios.

Spud regeared his and it felt right for an ADV bike. I would imagine in stock gearing it was way overgeared.

Power is at the low end of fair. I thought it would be more like my KLX but it was much softer. Part of this is the extra weight which is OK. It has enough to do the job though.

Handling was excellent. I do not agree with reviews that say (the street version at least) is twitchy. This thing handled great. The old dashed white line slalom at 55 MPH was very solid and quick. I very much like the handling.

The instrumentation is some of the best and most complete I've seen on any bike, regardless of price.

The lighting is outstanding, although I think Spud added some LED's.

The overall fit and finish and detail work is on the high end of Chinese, like a 200cc ZS or a Q. You know you are not on a Honda or BMW, but you're not paying for one either :-)

The front suspension is good, but poorly matched to the rear. I thought the travel would be on the low end of acceptable for rough off pavement work. I'd say this is a fire road bike, and good single track. I'd not want it on a rocky trail; although in the right hands it would do that. You'd get banged around though.

The front brake sucked. Almost to the point of being unsafe. Grabby, non-progressive, with a major pulsation. I understand this is a known and surmountable defect. The rear brake was good.

The rack, skidplate and guards are all top notch and no extra charge! The saddlebags are good, just small. On the other hand you'll fit between trees. This would be a bigger advantage back East.

I'm happy to address criticisms of my evaluation, but I think this is fair and honest.

Last edited by SpudRider; 06-27-2016 at 02:51 AM.