Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #3106

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I might get a chance to do the test fit today. The handguard installation is not difficult, especially if you see photographs of the handguards installed on the same motorcycle as yours.
Thanks @Spudrider - I've been watching installation videos and the cutting off of the throttle bar end is somewhat unnerving :P I'm thinking i might want the ones with the signal lights, but that adds the complexity of having to deal with wiring.

Ah well, best way to learn is to give it a go...though I still find it unnerving - the thing that cracks me up is the nervousness I feel with wrenching is probably the same nervousness that some people feel with dealing with technology - I have no problems doing IT support for my household or even simple programming , but wrenching definitely is more nervewracking

Old 04-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #3107

Spudrider, those heaters look exactly like the ones on my TWs. Mine came in a plain white box and I'm guessing they are off the same assembly line. Same price, too. The hand guards look perfect. I'm going to have to check on how bright the LEDs are. I've seen lots that aren't worth the trouble to hook up.

woodlandsprite, if you want it, get it. You can have what you want, just be patient, persistent, and thorough planning your mods. The learning curve isn't that big a deal.

EDIT: Okay, good reviews on the Tusk hang guards with lights, and Tusk even sells replacement lights in pairs, which is a good thing due to my propensity to hit things.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #3108

I cut the end from the left handgrip of my RX3 to determine the diameter of the hole inside the handlebars. The hole is only 1/2-inch in diameter, and the Tusk D-Flex Handguards require a hole at least 5/8-inch in diameter. Therefore, the Tusk D-Flex handguards will not fit the stock handlebars of the RX3.

However, the D-Flex Handguards will certainly fit the Tusk Chub (1-1/8 inch) handlebars, which only cost $39.99. I mounted Tusk aluminum handlebars on my Honda XR650L, and they very nice. The Tusk Chub handlebars are black.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...%20tusk%20t-10

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #3109

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Thanks @Spudrider - I've been watching installation videos and the cutting off of the throttle bar end is somewhat unnerving :P I'm thinking i might want the ones with the signal lights, but that adds the complexity of having to deal with wiring.

Ah well, best way to learn is to give it a go...
You can do it. Using a hacksaw, it is very easy to remove the end of the throttle tube. The turn signals undoubtedly come with bullet connectors, which will simply plug into the same connectors for the stock turn signals on the bike's wiring harness.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #3110

Quote:
I cut the end from the left handgrip of my RX3 to determine the diameter of the hole inside the handlebars. The hole is only 1/2-inch in diameter, and the Tusk D-Flex Handguards require a hole at least 5/8-inch in diameter. Therefore, the Tusk D-Flex handguards will not fit the stock handlebars of the RX3.

However, the D-Flex Handguards will certainly fit the Tusk Chub (1-1/8 inch) handlebars, which only cost $39.99. I mounted Tusk aluminum handlebars on my Honda XR650L, and they very nice. The Tusk Chub handlebars are black.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...%20tusk%20t-10

Spuds, know any machinist in your area? Wouldn't take much to put the mount that goes in the 1/2" handlebar hole and turn it down in a lathe. rj

Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #3111

Quote:
The RX3 did a good job in the dirt. The bike was only limited in the dusty soil by the stock tires, which still performed adequately. The forks definitely need heavier oil for a stiffer rebound damping. I hope CSC will be stocking the upgraded forks, which feature rebound damping adjustment. In the meanwhile, I will be swapping the stock fork oil with ATF in the next few days.
Nice ride report

I think ATF is about 10w oil ... so do you think the stock oil is maybe a 5w? Also, how did the shock perform? If I remember right it has adjustable rebound. Did you adjust it at all?

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #3112

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
Spudrider, those heaters look exactly like the ones on my TWs. Mine came in a plain white box and I'm guessing they are off the same assembly line. Same price, too...
Yes, I'm sure they are the same grip heaters from the same Chinese factory. Chinese bikes deserve Chinese grip heaters.

Quote:
...woodlandsprite, if you want it, get it. You can have what you want, just be patient, persistent, and thorough planning your mods. The learning curve isn't that big a deal...
I agree. All you need is a little patience and persistence, and I am sure you will prevail.

Quote:
...EDIT: Okay, good reviews on the Tusk hang guards with lights, and Tusk even sells replacement lights in pairs, which is a good thing due to my propensity to hit things.
Yes, all of the components of the Tusk D-Flex handguards are sold separately, which is a very economical way to replace broken items.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #3113

ZS177MM engine

Maybe someone who knows Zongshen motors can school me here;
The RX3's we're getting have the Fuel Injected ZS177MM water cooled, 4 valve engine;

- Are all ZS 177MM engines basically the same?
- Is the ZS177MM also called the NC250?
- Do all ZS177MM water cooled engine made for all other applications have 4 valves or are some 2 valve engines? (I know we aren't getting 2 valve engines in our new bikes, so don't reply saying anything to that effect)

Thanks
Evan

Old 04-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #3114

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Nice ride report

I think ATF is about 10w oil ... so do you think the stock oil is maybe a 5w? Also, how did the shock perform? If I remember right it has adjustable rebound. Did you adjust it at all?
Thank you. I went riding some more dirt yesterday, so I am going to post an update to my ride report later today, including more photos of the RX3 in its native habitat.

I did experiment with the rebound damping of the shock absorber, and it works pretty well. I will post more specifics in my ride report update. I believe you are correct on both points regarding the fork oil. I have used ATF in my other Zong's forks, and it helped matters nicely. You can read the details regarding oil viscosity, et cetera, in the following thread, starting at posts #27, #48, and #63.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=10266&page=2

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #3115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Spuds, know any machinist in your area? Wouldn't take much to put the mount that goes in the 1/2" handlebar hole and turn it down in a lathe. rj
You can enlarge the hole in the stock handlebars with a powerful drill, but I don't know if you have enough material available to reduce the diameter of the handguard mounts. Quite frankly, I would rather spend $40 and get a pair of black, Tusk Chub (1-1/8") handlebars.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #3116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
Maybe someone who knows Zongshen motors can school me here;
The RX3's we're getting have the Fuel Injected ZS177MM water cooled, 4 valve engine;

- Are all ZS 177MM engines basically the same?...
Yes.

Quote:
... - Is the ZS177MM also called the NC250?...
Yes.

Quote:
... - Do all ZS177MM water cooled engine made for all other applications have 4 valves or are some 2 valve engines? (I know we aren't getting 2 valve engines in our new bikes, so don't reply saying anything to that effect)

Thanks
Evan
Yes, every ZS177MM/NC250 engine has 2 intake valves, and 2 exhaust valves.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #3117

Quote:
Now that there is a bummer :(
also good that you knew the hole size required, because it doesn't seem that most listings include the specifications for the bar-end mount hole-size requirement!

Old 04-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #3118

There are two other factors to consider regarding the installation of wrap-around handguards for the Zongshen RX3. One is the large mount for the banjo bolt of the brake line, which projects forward from the brake master cylinder. The other factor is having enough room so the handguard mounts don't contact the windshield. I was examining these issues in my driveway, when it started to rain. It is going to rain the rest of today, so I will continue examining the fitment of the Tusk D-Flex Handguards as soon as the rain disappears.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #3119

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Now that there is a bummer :(
also good that you knew the hole size required, because it doesn't seem that most listings include the specifications for the bar-end mount hole-size requirement!
As soon as I discovered the small, 1/2-inch hole, I telephoned Rocky Mountain ATV. They told me the minimum hole required is 5/8-inch.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #3120

Quote:
There are two other factors to consider regarding the installation of wrap-around handguards for the Zongshen RX3.
The clearance issue seems to be something that all bikes have to contend with to various extents.
I noticed the barkbusters on my husband's bike are a bit nicked up where they hit the aftermarket windshield brace - basically there is no extra room at all to get a full turn of the handlebars.

Guess I'll sit tight while you experiment and hope that when my bike gets here I'm less prone to dropping it. *sigh* all parts of learning it seems.
Also, given the measurements you've noted, I zinged a note over to Barkbusters to see if any of theirs will fit the stock bars - will report back once I hear something.

Are you acquiring new grips as well?